Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Calling all Tuscany Fodorites! Stay in 1 home base in Tuscany in Siena or 2?Is Relais Villa Petrschio in Cortona???

Calling all Tuscany Fodorites! Stay in 1 home base in Tuscany in Siena or 2?Is Relais Villa Petrschio in Cortona???

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - really need Fodorite help!

Staying in Tuscany for 4 days in May. We WERE going to stay all 4 days at the Grand Hotel Continental in Siena as home base. But we were thinking of splitting 2 days in Siena and spend 2 days in a villa in the countryside. We wanted to get an authentic flavor. So here are my questions:

Has anyone stayed at RELAIS VILLA PETRISCHIO in Cortona? Any other suggestions if we are staying 2 days in Siena?

Also is the split a good move or should we stay put in Siena and make day trips (easier for the evenings etc)?

Your help would be so appreciated
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM

>> is the split a good move <<
NO

>> should we stay put in Siena <<
YES
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM

To quote Bobthenavigator, "location is everything". We found Siena less than captivating and after 2 days had pretty much gotten our fill. I would go 2 + 2. All this assumes you will have a car and Siena is one of my least favorite jump off points for daytrips--confusing entry and exit and very competitive parking.
Consider southern Tuscany as a second location--there are many threads going that list options. Cortona is fairly one dimensional and somewhat remote. Good luck.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks macanimals -

I thought Siena would be a good base to visit surrounding towns over the course of the first 2 days:
-Chianti
-San Gimignano
-Monteriggioni

Then move further east to cover other areas. Cortona sounded interesting but do you think I am better off home basing for the 2nd 2 days in Montepulciano to cover that town as well as:
-Pienza
-Cortona or Arezzo

Thanks
Thoughts?
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM

With only 4 days pick one location. Siena is OK but I am not sure of the parking for that hotel---look at Palazzo Ravizza. I would prefer south of there in Val d' Orcia. Cortona is a good drive---you have good options closer.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM

I think bobthenavigator and I agree on just about everything regarding Tuscany.

The Val d'Orcia is the prettiest countrside in Tuscany and has the highest concentration of wonderful villages, IMO.

I'm not a big fan of Cortona (it's OK - just a little over-rated, IMO), and I like the countryside around Cortona even less - especially after visiting the Val d'Orcia.

Bob & I both recommend Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico.
http://www.palazzodelcapitano.com/index_eng.htm

I like Siena a lot more than macanimals does - it's one of my favorites. However, with the Val d'Orcia just 45 mins south, I would spend most of my days down there. Siena is an easy day-trip from San Quirico.

I have a 20+ page Italy itinerary with a heavy dose of Tuscany in it. Lots of scenic drives around the Val d'Orcia described. e-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy

Stu Dudley

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BOB and STU!

So we decided on Montepulciano as 2nd base - better than Cortona - we will skip Cortona altogether and concentrate on the Val d'Orcia area while we are there! The decision to stay in 2 places really comes down to me wanting to spend time right in a bigger town like Siena (transation =not have to drive after dinner) and have a chance to stay someplace really romantic and charming like an inn. Looking into Villa Cicolina, Villa Poggiana and La Saracina (that one is probably booked!)

BTW - you guys are like the superhero fodorites - thanks and Stu will definitely email you for trip details.

Will be in Venice first - then Tuscany - then Florence. I'm sure I'll be reaching out again. thx again
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM

I think you've hit a good balance for a first visit to the area. There's plenty to see and do in Siena for a day or so and there are several prime daytrip targets--San Gimignano, Volterra, Monteriggione, the Chianti towns as well as others. You'll enjoy the change of topography and scenery near Montepulciano as well as the various sites nearby. Look for the red poppies growing in the olive groves and roadsides that time of the year. And then there's all that excellent vino! Cin Cin! Paul
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - macanimals! We are very excited.