7 Days in February in Spain with Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2019, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found some too good to pass up air fares to Spain in February, and need some insight! I would have 7 days on the ground (9 with travel days) and am looking at flying into Barcelona and out of Madrid (or vice versa). I would be traveling with my husband and 3 children who will be 2, 6, and 8.

​​With just 7 days for exploring, should I stick with just Barcelona and Madrid? I've seen itineraries that add either Toledo or Seville to the mix, but not sure if one or the other would be better at that time of year (and with kids).

I'm open for other itinerary suggestions as well! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Danielle811; Jun 1st, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:53 AM

Yes or no - Seville area will be warmer than high-altitude Madrid though neither Barcelona nor Madrid will really be cold. Book your train tickets early to get nice discounts - www.renfe.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Toledo is an easy day trip from Madrid and it's a really neat town.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 01:29 PM

ok, you have a total of 7 days to sightsee, and you must include two major cities, Madrid and Barcelona. And now you want to know if you should add more cities, and you are also traveling with 3 kids under the age of 10? ANd it's February to boot, to you know how cold it gets in Madrid in February?

no you shouldn't

at the most, add Toledo as a day trip or something.

do not even think of Seville, do you have any idea how far apart these places are? Do you know how you would get from Barcelona to Seville, for example?

Last edited by Christina; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: thought
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:52 PM

I would fly to Seville and spend the week there, doing day trips or, if you rent a car, including a couple of days in cadiz and the nearby beaches. Connect via Madrid.

I did this last February.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
ok, you have a total of 7 days to sightsee, and you must include two major cities, Madrid and Barcelona. And now you want to know if you should add more cities, and you are also traveling with 3 kids under the age of 10? ANd it's February to boot, to you know how cold it gets in Madrid in February?

no you shouldn't

at the most, add Toledo as a day trip or something.

do not even think of Seville, do you have any idea how far apart these places are? Do you know how you would get from Barcelona to Seville, for example?
Thanks, Christina. As we're continuing to mull over a possible itinerary, one option would be to eliminate Barcelona altogether, and split time between Madrid (including a day trip to Toledo), and Seville (with a possible day trip to Cordoba). In that case, I think we would book an open jaw ticket into Madrid and out of Seville, and travel by train between the two.

Regarding the temperatures in February, particularly in Madrid, I've looked over the averages. We're coming from upstate NY, so we're not too concerned the cool weather.

Last edited by Danielle811; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I would fly to Seville and spend the week there, doing day trips or, if you rent a car, including a couple of days in cadiz and the nearby beaches. Connect via Madrid.

I did this last February.
Thanks ekscrunchy! I hadn't considered the possibility of flying into or out of Seville.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:05 PM

Hi, I did something similar October 2017 with my two daughters (then 2 and 4). I found round trip tickets to Barcelona for really cheap ($300) and I wanted to see Andalucia. I loved that trip so much that I still wonder why it took me so long to go beyond the traditional itinerary of Barcelona and Madrid.

I booked a one way from Barcelona to Granada. We saw the Alhambra in the evening and during the day (tickets to be reserve in advance). From there we went to Ronda, then Cordoba and finally Seville. We flew out of Barcelona. It was a fast paced itinerary but I loved this trip so much more than our one week in Barcelona a few years ago. Maybe my trip report would interest you:

5 days in Andalusia
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:10 AM

My sister and niece did something similar March beginning of last year during their spring break. They had 13 days on the ground and found cheap tickets into Madrid and out of Lisbon. They did Madrid-Seville by train, spending four days in each city. Seville-Lisbon by flight.

Early March was a little chilly and rainy, though February would probably be much colder. Plus young children added to the mix. You know them and will be the best person to decide. Fly open jaws to save time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:55 AM

I will add that the weather consideration in February would make me want to stay in Andalucia (Seville) rather than Barcelona or Madrid.