1st Time to Spain-Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Spain in July. We'll have 10 full days of site-seeing Arriving in Madrid and departing out of Barcelona. We would like to hit these cities and want to know if it is doable and how (air,train and/or car?) Also would like suggestions on luxury hotels (not ultra-modern or Amercian-like)
Madrid
Seville
Granada
Alicante
Barcelona
Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to consider staying in Paradores in Spain. www.parador.es
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM

You do understand that you are going to be spending most of your time in Andalucia and that is will be fairly warm during July.

You can take the AVE south from Madrid and fly to Barcelona from Malaga.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Perhaps it's just me, but this seems like a lot to cover in 10 days. Maybe I'm misunderstanding some things, though. Did you plan on spending any time in Madrid at all, or are you planning on arriving there and then heading directly to somewhere else?

As far as "doable" - it is that. But will it be enjoyable? Are arrival and departure cities already set, or can you change them? I know when I was first planning our trip to Spain I had automatically included Barcelona, but when I tried to figure out the logistics, it just didn't work out and I ended up dropping it entirely. We were there 17 days.

I would suggest you concentrate on two regions: Madrid/Andalucia or Madrid/Barcelona or Barcelona/Andalucia to maximize your time. Just one person's opinion.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hi

Should be possible. If necessary leave out Alicante. Madrid to Seville by AVE train in 2.5 hours.

Some hotel suggestions
Seville: http://www.alfonsoxiii.com/esp/index.html

Madrid: http://www.westinpalacemadrid.com/eng/informacion/

Cheers
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM

How did Alicante get on your list? Are you shopping for shoes? I love Alicante and the Costa Blanca but we stay with relatives in Campello when we visit there so I can't recommend any places to stay.
Does that 10 ful days include your day of arrival on a TransAtlantic flight? If so, make that 9-days.

Yes, it's do-able; but it's a stretch. Several years ago we bought a 'Visit Spain' Airpass (both Iberia & SpanAir sell them) and did that, including Santiago de Compostela from Barcelona.

There's a lot happening in Spain in July: los San Fermines in Pamplona; la Virgen de Carmen anywhere there is a port or a river; Santiago y Santa Ana (25 & 26 July). Take your time and enjoy the ambiance!

For July, I recommend the north coast and Galicia!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM

I'll be there during that same 10 day period and would be more than happy to travel with the 2 of you. I recommend you bike ride from Madrid to Seville (pronounced se-vee-ah).
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and comments. We have changed our trip to beat the heat...heading North from Madrid over to Barcelona in a 10-day span.
Any new itinerary suggestions??
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Spain in July is just hot. North, South, whatever. I really don't think that skipping Granada is a good idea, and Alicante is damn hot, but it has beaches. But, if you want to go North. . .

Go from Madrid to San Sebastian on a night train and stay a few days up there. Bilbao is an OK city for a short day trip, and San Sebastian is a wonderful upscale playground.

There are trains from San Sebastian to Barcelona, so just do that when you are done there and enjoy everything about BCN.

As for hotel recs. . . Barcelona's Le Meridien is well located and very nice. Arts is super famous and is truly an experience, but it is away from the city and inconvenient. Up Passeig de Gracia you have a Ritz, which is always great for service and the rooms are comfortable. OH! The le Meridien Suites are phenomenal.

I was really excited to see you were heading to Alicante, as I truly love it there, but it is crowded and a little run down in the summer. See it the next time around.

Claire
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the input. We have finalized the trip as follows: first 3 nights in Madrid, next 4 nights in San Sebastain,last three nights in Barcelona. (We will, of course, be taking some day trips) but would love hotel recs in madrid and San Sebastian. We are looking for "Spain like" properties with great location. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM

A little budget information would be helpful, "Spain like" properties is a bit difficult because it covers a lot of ground.

Madrid, the capital of Spain is filled with a beautiful array of classic buildings, some dating back to the 12th century, but the most prominent styles would be from the 18th and 19th centuries, but the 20th and 21st centuries are well represented.

San Sebastian-Donostia is a compact, elegant, sophisticated, stately, Parisian looking city filled with Belle Époque architecture and considered one of Spain most beautiful destinations.