Search

itinery help: andalusia, barcelona, madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinery help: andalusia, barcelona, madrid

Hello, Fodorites:

Going with wife and 3 kids (15, 13 and 11) to Spain for one week. Arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday morning (early) and departing Madrid the following Sunday afternoon. We're thinking of spending 2 - 3 days in Barcelona, then maybe flying to Madrid (or some other location) and driving to Andalusia for 2 - 3 days, then up to Toledo for Saturday and then home om Sunday. (Basically, not really spending time in Madrid.). Does that sound like too much running around between destinations? My guess is that if we spend 2 - 3 days in Andalusia, that we should pick 2 of the main destinations (not all 3) of Cordoba, Seville and Grenada. Suggestions, please? Kindly note that we are experienced travelers and good with getting out and about and being active as we go. Also, we would not mind exploring a smaller, charming village or scenic area as well or opting out of Andalusia and spending time in and around Madrid. I fully understand that something may have to give, which is also why I am seeking your experienced input. Thank you very much!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM

It is a schedule where you will not enjoy yourself, it is far too much for a week. You are not even considering traveling time. It is easy to spend a week in any of those places. Pick two places and the best way to get from location to location.

Consider high speed trains called AVE's and internal flights including Vueling.

And please note it is spelled Granada.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
kja

> Does that sound like too much running around between destinations?

Yes. As Aduchamp1 says, once you consider travel time, you won't have much time (if any) to see anything.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM

what Adu said.

if you are not interested in seeing Madrid, fly Vueling from Barcelona to Seville, stop in Cordoba on the way to Toledo.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM

In the very limited time you have I would do either Barcelona/Madrid - or just Andalusia. We've been to the latter twice - once for 10 days and once for 12 - and still have a lot we want to see.

The trip you have is a tour of train stations and airports of Spain.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Perhaps like this:

Barcelona, two-three days. Fly Vueling to Sevilla on Wednesday. Fabulous Sevilla and surroundings for the rest of the stay with a daytrip to Córdoba. High-speed AVE train from Sevilla to Madrid in 2 1/2 hours on Sunday.

Perfectly doable and a very nice mixture of different kinds of Spain.

This site is excellent on Sevilla: http://www.exploreseville.com/
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Too much absolutely, not fun. Andalucia deserves 10 days. Focus on two areas if you want but not all three, Madrid and Andalucia makes the most sense because of the high speed train service. If you choose Barcelona, 3 nights there, 2 in Seville and one in Granada, fly Vueling Barcelona to Granada, or Seville.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Having just spent 2+ weeks in Spain in April (and having had 3 kids...) I'd devote my time to Barcelona, Granada and Seville. Barcelona has lots to do and see (and stuff that would interest kids like the Parc Guell, Boqueria, etc.)- the Alhambra in Granada is magical by day AND by night and would be well worth a day or so (we flew between Granada and Barcelona on Vueling Air)- and Seville is my favorite of all (be sure and go see the flamenco show at Casa de Memoria- only an hour long, not a club atmosphere, i.e. no drinking), also with lots that kids would enjoy (I recommend Concepcion's walking tours that Rick Steves writes up in his book).
Cordoba, while the Mezquita is breathtaking, has less to offer imo. Actually, with just one week, I'd probably just do Barcelona and Seville, as travel time will eat up a lot of time even if you fly between.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very valuable feedback. Because of our air travel, we decided to spend 3 Sun - Tues in Barcelona and will fly to Madrid on Wed for the duration. We'll spend time in those two cities and take day trips to Segovia and Toledo. We'll just have to do another trip to see other areas at a different time, but that's part of the fun of seeing the world. Thanks again!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 05:45 AM

With 3 kids and barely 1 week (1st day you'll be jet-lagged), I'd do just Barcelona, with a side trip or 2 or just Andalucia, but doing both, plus Madrid is just too much moving around and re-settling into hotels.

If this is planned during the warmer months, maybe a couple of days at a beach location.