Search

7-Day Trip to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7-Day Trip to Paris

Hello everyone!

We (1 adult, 2 children) are going on a week-long trip to Paris from 8/9 - 8/17. We are staying in a hotel near the Gare de Lyon train station. With so many things to see in Paris, I wanted to make an itinerary that balances the main attractions such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, River Seine, Musee Louvre, etc. and also things locals would do. I also want to find restaurants, shops, and boutiques that are cheap but great! It's our first time to Paris and Europe, so if you guys could recommend some attractions, restaurants, shops, touristy things, or non-touristy things to do in Paris, I would be very grateful. Thank you all ^^
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 10:18 PM

What are the ages of your children? Also, what is "cheap" to you? And for food, what kinds of things do your kids like?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

They are 14 and 17. I am looking for restaurants and shops that are affordable and satisfying. My kids like almost anything and are excited to try out all the different foods and pastries!
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 02:13 AM

Most neighborhood pastry shops cost about the same price for the same items. If you are staying around Gare de Lyon, use Google Street Walk to take a virtual tour of the neighborhood.

Brasseries sell food all day long - and a lot of it. There are some right around the station.

Be aware that sodas cost around 5€, while tap water is free. A French hamburger in a restaurant will cost around 12 to 15 €. If that exceeds your budget, head to McDonald's.

As for "shops" - Do you mean clothes, shoes, jewelry...?
There are lots of shops selling clothes, but only to wholesale customers.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 03:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Near the Gare de Lyon you can take a walk along the Promenade Plantee, a raised path along an old railroad viaduct that stretches for a couple of miles parallel to the avenue Daumesnil. It is landscaped and used for jogging and walking, with entry points along the route.

Also a short walk from the Gare de Lyon is the outdoor market at the Place d'Aligre. Outdoor markets are very characteristic of Paris and fun to visit and photograph even if you don't intend to buy anything.

Also near the Gare de Lyon I like the restaurant A la Biche au Bois. I wouldn't characterize it as cheap but it is good value and good quality in a lively atmosphere.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 03:47 AM

Check out the rue de rosiers in the Marais for cheap falafel sandwiches or crêpes.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 04:13 AM

Also look for restaurants that have a "prix fixe" menu. I think that's what it's called. It was great, usually for one price you get either an appetizer and main course or main course and dessert.

are you guys looking for a sit down meal at dinner or are you looking more for a cafe type experience?
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 04:44 AM

The locals will eventually chime in with some suggestions no doubt, but we ate here a couple of times last month and it did not disappoint or break the bank.

http://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/#
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 06:03 AM

Given the very hot weather, I'd recommend that you don't eat heavy meals, especially at lunchtime, avoid too much alcohol, concentrate on staying hydrated with water and letting everybody eat lots and lots of ice cream. It's cheapest if you buy it in supermarkets and if you don't sit down in a cafe or restaurant to eat it.

Keep the drapes closed in your hotel room during the day. Hope you have chosen an air- conditioned hotel.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Geez, "affordable and satisfying" is no less vague than "cheap but great."

Fact is that in Paris restos you usually get a quality of food directly related to the price you pay. There are exceptions - primarily in the "ethnic" restaurants, which means any of the cuisines of former French colonies (Moroccan, Vietnamese, etc.) and offer a good bang/buck ratio. Brasseries are better value than a full "restaurant." This discusses some of the differences between types of food purveyors: http://ca.france.fr/en/information/d...es-restaurants

Even with a favorable dollar, Paris is not inexpensive. The shops and boutiques will be more expensive than what you'd find in the US (or Canada, and I'm assuming you're likely an American). If you can find it at home, buy it there.

Take a Fat Tire Tour. The company started in Paris.

The three main art museums (there are far more) are the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay and Centre Pompidou (named after one of France's more useless presidents). Their offerings, respectively, are essentially: classical/renaissance, baroque to neo-impressionism, three dots on a canvas Rothko/Miro rot.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A useful planning tactic is to make a site list annotated by closure days and general location. Also note if the weather is important for that location.

For example, the stained glass at the Ste-Chapelle and Notre Dame doesn't show well without sun, you can't go to a museum that is closed on that day, and putting two sites far apart in distance on the same afternoon is not going to work.

Everyone seems to want a trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower, which is a bit of an ordeal and does not include the tower in the view. Two better choices are the observation level of the Montparnasse Tower, especially around sunset, and the tethered balloon at the Parc Andre Citroen. There's a nice view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe also.

Of the many museums missing from your list, I would recommend the Rodin Museum and Cluny (Museum of the Middle Ages).

Have fun and eat a new pastry every day.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 09:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love the public parks in Paris in the summer. Don't miss either The Tuileries and Jardin du Luxembourg on a day the weather is nice. Stop by a bakery, pick up some sandwiches, and have a picnic.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 11:39 AM

We took our teens last summer.

They really liked St. Chapelle, far more than Notre Dame. We've been to Rome and seen a lot of churches, but even so, that stained glass at St. Chapelle really stood out.

My daughter (18) really loved the booksellers along the Seine. She had taken French and enjoyed buying a French classic in French. I think these are there in the morning until 1 and Saturday is the best day.

My son wanted to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower and we didn't want hemmed in with a pre-set ticket time. So we got up early, got there around 8 am and waited in line, which was short.

My kids also liked being able to go to a jazz club because there were no age minimums for teens. We did this in London but you could in Paris.

We stayed in the 6th and we really liked the little streets with small cafes, especially the creperie.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM

I can't give you specific names, but over in the area where you are staying, a lot of young people will be in the cafes and bars, and just around in the St Antoine area, basically place de la Bastille and then extending to the NE of it, lot sof small streets with bars, restaurants, etc.

I'd also recommend you take a walk up to rue Oberkampf which is also a place full of young people, bars, etc. You don't have to walk all the way up from Gare de Lyon, just suggest you go up that area one day to walk around. Also, there is a really great street market on bd Richard Lenoir extending north of Bastille metro on Sunday mornings.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM

You might check out Marche des Rouges Enfants in the Third Arr. for lunch. They have a great selection of foods of all kinds and ethnicities.

http://m.equipement.paris.fr/marche-...s-rouges-5461/

https://www.thrillist.com/venue/eat/...enfants-rouges

Little Breizh is a creperie in the 6th that you might enjoy.

Paris by Mouth lists restaurants by neighborhood and also near tourist attractions.

http://parisbymouth.com

As a rule, I would avoid restaurants right by most major attractions and especially if the menus have food photos or flags of the world across the top. That screams overpriced, tourist trap to me.

Climbing the Towers at Notre Dame would be something you all might enjoy and the view from the top is wonderful (as is seeing the gargoyles up close). I think they may use a new app that lets you know when it's your turn to go up....
http://en.lineberty.com

A visit to the closest patisserie or boulangerie for a pain au chocolat makes an inexpensive breakfast.

I prefer Musee d'Orsay over the Louvre. If you want to visit the Louvre, know what you want to see. You can follow the crowds to the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo but the Louvre is massive. It can be overwhelming if you don't know what you want to see and where it is located.

Need more info on the type of boutiques that are of interest. Rue du Commerce (behind the Eiffel Tower) might be a good shopping area for you.

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/20...e-du-commerce/

I recommend a stroll on Isle St Louis...lined with cute shops and home to Berthillon ice cream. The salted butter caramel is terrific. Many places serve their ice cream but you might want to get a cone at their main shop (you will see the line and know you are there). Amorino also makes wonderful gelato and has multiple locations.

The bus system and the Metro are both easy to use and you can use the same tickets for both. You can buy a carnet of 10 tickets from machines in the Metro stations or from tabacs. The bus will allow you to see the city as you get around.
Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 10:23 PM

August is "let's decamp to the countryside" month for many Parisians: summer holidays. Which means that Paris is the territory of those who can't go on holiday or won't go. And tourists.

It also means that the Paris city government helps fund an enormous range of "spectacles" and activities aimed at young people such as your children: from sailing clinics in Bassin de la Villette to generously open swimming pools. Paris Plages is on, which has a range of activities and is so well supervised that your children can visit on their own, do a range of things, hang out and can meet up with you guys later. There are concerts at night, loads of "stages" by day. My son learned rudimentary polynese dance there. And we played endless rounds of boules.

http://quefaire.paris.fr/parisplages

https://quefaire.paris.fr/nuits

All these activities are subsidised by the city government to make sure that kids who need to stay in Paris during August can have a lively summer holiday at home. All there for your advantage too.