Notices

Hotels near Paris Gare Lyon?

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Leslie

Hotels near Paris Gare Lyon?

Hello there!

My fiancé and I are going to be spending our honeymoon in France in September. We arrive at CDG on Monday morning, the 16th. We leave again on the morning of the 17th on a train to Provence where we are taking a week long cooking class/vacation. We are then returning to Paris for an additional week. I've booked a hotel for the week-long stay in Paris (thanks to some recommendations on this forum!) but we need to figure out where to stay on that 1st night. While we are flying into CDG, the vacation group has recommended that we catch a train from the Paris Gare Lyon station down to Montelimar, since we'd have to change trains if we left from CDG (something we don't really want to do). So does anyone know about the area near Gare Lyon? Is it OK? Any recommendations? I was thinking we'd just take a cab to a hotel near the train station, spend the night and then hop on the train in the AM. I think we'll be exhausted from the wedding and flight, so I'm not looking for tons of atmosphere or stuff to do that night. Or should we just stay at a hotel by the airport and then take a cab to the train station in the morning (I know we could use cheaper transportation, but it's our honeymoon, so we are splurging!)?

Thanks for any help!

-Leslie

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Christina

I would definitely stay around Gare de Lyon in preference to the airport. I kind of like that area in a funky way (although I wouldn't stay there longterm), and that rail station is very interesting architecturally. There is a very nice HOliday Inn right nearby (some historic bldg if I'm remembering correctly, one of their best in Paris). There are lots of hotels around there, I just don't know them that well--I think the French chain Libertel has at least one, you can't go too wrong with them if you want something cheaper. There is also a Terminus Lyon and I don't know it but have heard many people like their hotel near Gare du Nord (another train station), it's a 3-star.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Andre

Leslie,

I agree, staying near Gare de Lyon is your best bet. There are comfortable Air France buses from CDG to the Gare de Lyon every half hour if you want to save on transportation.

Your best bet for lodging is probably the Novotel adjacent to the station. It has an indoor pool which would be nice after a long flight. Otherwise, there's also a Mercure attached to the station complex which should be a bit cheaper.
Summary info and bookings at:
www.accorhotels.com

The Holiday Inn Bastille is also walkable from the station.

For dinner, you might want to try le Train Bleu upstairs in the Gare de Lyon itself - GREAT Belle Epoque decor! Otherwise do stop for a drink at the bar. There are lots of casual restaurants/bars around the Place de la Bastille as well.

Bon voyage!
Andre

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Leslie

Thank you both for the great recommendations! This gives me a much better starting point for research. The number of hotels in Paris is staggering!

Cheers,
Leslie

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:18 AM
kutzaviski

We were looking for hotels & saw a posting about the Prince Albert Concordia.It is near the Gard du Lyon. We decided to stay near the Bastille at the Hotel Lyon Mulhouse but the Concordia looked ok from their info.

Bonne chance!

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:37 AM
linda

Leslie,

Look forward to a post trip report! Don't forget us1

linda

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Alice

We stayed at a Novotel hotel about 2 blocks from Gare de Lyon in 1996. I think it was very new then, nice hotel. Stayed during a 6-country tour, otherwise it would not be in my price range. I think it is called the Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon,if interested.

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Leslie

Of course! I'll be happy to provide a trip report! I'm counting the days to the wedding and especially the honeymoon!

Cheers,

Leslie