Search

7-8 days trip to Swiss and Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7-8 days trip to Swiss and Paris

Dear All,
Please help me plan my vacation. My wife and I are planning on flying in/out of Zurich from sept 26 to oct 4 that's about 8 days. Planning to do round trip to Paris for couple of days. Would like to cover most scenic areas in Swiss though. I would also like to keep it on the budget side. Please recommend how best to utilize this time. I'd appreciate advices including:
-places to see
-transportation (train passes etc...)
-accommodation

Mostly interested in seeing natural beauty than museums etc...

Another question is regarding schengen visa that my wife will need since she's on green card. I'll start another topic for that so we can focus on the trip itself once in Swiss and France.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM

First - do not fly in and out of Zurich - you waste a complete day backtracking. Fly into Zurich and out of Paris or vice versa. It will be cheaper as well as saving you a day.

And you can;t cover most scenic areas of Switzerland in 8 days - even if you ignore Paris completely.

The time you have - actually 7 days on the ground lets you spend 3 in Switzerland (I would do Lucern and day trips) then travel to paris, then spend 3 days there (not even enough to see the basics).
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:14 AM
ira

Hey R,

Either go to Paris, or go to CH. You don't have enough time for both.

As noted. fly "multi-city" not RT.

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Nothing is impossible....I would drive from Zurich to Bernese Oberland (Grindelwald with car) and spend 3 days there. IMO, Luzern is too touristy, Bernese Oberland gives you the "postcard" Switzerland. I would pick BO over Luzern in a heartbeat (and I used to love Luzern). Then, drive 7 hours to Paris, ditch the car, spend the rest of the time there, fly back to Zurich.

I think Switz and Paris makes a great combo!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM

DON'T drive to Paris because you'll probably pay a drop charge on any car rented in Switzerland plus any tolls, insurance, gasoline.

Take a TGV from Zurich or Basel or Lausanne or Geneva to Paris.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

NYTraveler,
Thanks for an excellent idea that I honestly didn't know if that would be cheaper now that I check prices flying into Geneva/Zurich and out of Paris, and definitely is cheaper.

ira/Masterphil/Dukey,
I'm thinking of splitting my 8 days into 6/2 so 6 days for Swiss and 2 for Paris. I read a few threads where people don't really recommend driving in Swiss as several towns are car free and I would like to enjoy this time without having to worry too much about car. However, If I can get suggestion about driving route where I don't have to drive more then 2-3 hours a day and still cover most scenic areas then I might consider renting a car.
For trains in Swiss, do I purchase pass/tickets etc... in advance or I should be able to get at the same price when I'm there?

Another question, considering about 6 days in Switzerland, do I fly into Geneva or Zurich?
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:21 AM

>However, If I can get suggestion about driving route where I don't have to drive more then 2-3 hours a day and still cover most scenic areas then I might consider renting a car.

With very few exceptions, the car doesn't provide any "added value". If at all, I would rent a car for a day or two to drive the high pass roads (since the bus coverage there is a bit restricted, maybe half a dozen runs per day) but otherwise the car is only going to be a liability.

>For trains in Swiss, do I purchase pass/tickets etc... in advance or I should be able to get at the same price when I'm there?

No need to purchase anything in advance. However it would be better to make a decision in advance (which kind of pass if at all etc.)
TGV ticket to Paris should be bought in advance; while there are good chances for you to get onto the train even if you book your ticket a few minutes before boarding, you will pay a small fraction of the ticket price if you book in advance (www.tgv-europe.com)

>Another question, considering about 6 days in Switzerland, do I fly into Geneva or Zurich?

Wherever you find a better/cheaper flight connection to.