Switzerland to France with kids advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are beginning to plan our summer trip (June 07) and could really use some great Fodor advice. We found great tickets into Zurich and are now trying to construct our trip(we are in a bit of a panic since we just purchased the tickets).
We'd like to spend a bit of time in the Berner-Oberland area and then go off to France. We are traveling with our 2 boys who will be 11y and 8y on the trip. We are thinking of renting a car, but not sure of the distances. We'd like to spend a couple of Days in Paris and probably the Loire Valley(Saumur), but since that area is quite a distance from Switzerland, we are not sure where else to stop.
Also, does it make any sense to fly into Paris from Zurich and then rent a car? We could then fly back to Zurich and do the Berner-Oberland area.
Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,
Travelatte
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

Hi travelatte,

With the TGV, you can get from Bern to Paris in about four hours, which may be quicker than flying (getting to the airport, getting there early, then the flight, then getting the bags, then getting into town).

You certainly don't need a car in Switzerland -- the train system is convenient & fun. Also, many places in the BO do not allow cars, so your rental will likely just sit parked while there. Just look up all your routes ahead of time at www.rail.ch. There is a train station in the basement of Zurich airport, so it's very convenient.

I suggest that you fly into Zurich and head straight for the BO. Then, take the TGV from Bern to Paris, and rent your car there for the Loire.

Good luck!

s
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

s,
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a great idea. I'll work on the trip from that angle.

Thanks,
Travelatte
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

FYI, according to viamichelin.com, the driving time Zurich to Paris is 6hrs18min. (http://tinyurl.com/2yumg5).

Since you're returning to Zurich for your return flight, it'd make sense (to me at least) to rent the car at the airport in Zurich and then return it there. The only problem is that, for your stay in Paris, you'd not want or need the car.

>we are not sure where else to stop.< Consider Colmar in Alsace, Beaune in Burgundy and Vèzelay.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

Regarding the drive between Zurich & Paris, the train ride is either 4h32 or6h11. Driving is slower --

BTW, I hope you've looked into an open jaw to fly out of Paris!

s
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM

I flew to Zurich last July with 2 12 year olds and went to the BO. I agree you should go to the BO first, then get back to Bern for the TGV to Paris and rent your car once there. Everyone will have their own opinion on this of course, but I would go to the Loire first and then back to Paris before flying out of Paris. For me, I would rather be closer to the airport to leave and save Paris for the last part of the trip - it was the climax for the kids, what they looked forward to the most (who wouldn't look forward to the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame the most?!) and I love to leave on a high note.

It's easy to get the train right out of the airport in Zurich! There are signs everywhere and all of a sudden, you are there. There are special luggage carts that actually go on the escalators! I was with my 2 12 year olds and although they were a bit nervous about trying that, they quickly became pros and went up and down by themselves to pass the time. We also spent some time just watching other first-timers! My kids were hysterical. There is a great bakery (have the kids check out the cool conveyor belt along the right hand wall displaying the cakes and pastries - OK, I admit I checked it out too ) and a food store at the airport by the trains so you can start by stocking up with goodies for the ride. I suggest Swiss chocolate.

We used the Swiss Card with Family Pass so the 2 kids travelled free with me on many of the trains while we were in the BO, and they travelled free to and from the BO as well. Choosing the passes will depend on how long you will be there, how many of you there are and what you want to do. There are a lot of posts about this. Once at the train station, we validated the passes (it's controversial if that is necessary or not, but the agent suggested the best train to take so definitely worth it for us.)

We traveled first class upstairs in a double decker car, definitely a hit with the kids, and did not reserve in advance. The 1st class car was empty so we had received good advice there. (We wanted to use first class because we were also continuing on to Austria by train - a full day ride.) The agent pointed out a direct train to Interlaken instead of having us change trains in Bern (definitely a plus when traveling with only kids), and then we changed to a smaller train in Interlaken to go to Lauterbrunnen. It took 2 hours, 40 min from Zurich to Interlaken and 20 more min to Lauterbrunnen.

I second that you will not need a car while there - there are planty of busses, trains, cable cars to use.
The highlights for the kids were the trip to the Jungfrau, the cable car to the Schilthorn and a trip to its restaurant with a stop at Trummelback Falls on the way back (by bus), the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidigg, the walk to Staubbach Falls from our hotel in Lauterbrunnen, the Friday night folk festival in Lauterbrunnen. Wow, this brings back such great memories!

I have to figure out how to find my trip report - I wrote it a long time ago, but I think it would be very helpful to you in the BO because we did so many things with the kids in mind - and they had a wonderful time. If I can figure out how to add the trip report to this thread I will do so. If I find it, skip the Austria and French countryside parts (if you want) and go right to the Paris section.

Do you know where you want to stay in Switzerland yet? We stayed in Lauterbrunnen and thought it was a great base. We loved our hotel.

In the menatime, please ask any questions - I'll answer back!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM

here are my switzerland pictures (hopefully!)

http://tinyurl.com/37aor5
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM

I'm trying to post the URL to my tripreport, but it seems to be out of order. We did start in Switzerland, but Salzburg is listed first. You can try to scroll down to where it says Part 1 Switzerland - avoiding the clouds.

http://tinyurl.com/37599b

I'm really not sure what happened - it used to be in the correct order.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM

Well, now that it's posted above, it does seem to be back in the correct order. I don't get it. Sorry for the confusion!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I'll look into using the trains until Paris, and then renting a car. I need to see if I can return the car somewhere other than Paris.
An open jaw out of Paris would have been great, but we found great prices in and out of Zurich. We could not pass them up.
Kwren, your photos are great.

Any great kid friendly places to stay in the BO area or Paris anyone?

Thanks,
Travelatte

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM

I don't know your budget Travelatte, but in Lauterbrunnen we stayed at the Silberhorn, close to the train station. You have to walk uphill to get to the hotel - take the street to the left, not the stairs going straight up from the station (learn from our mistake if you go!) We stayed in the chalet which was up a little hill from the main hotel, but the hotel staff helped us up with our suitcases. We were in Room 60 which did not overlook the Junfrau, but it did overlook the opposite side of the valley and that was great for the kids. We had brought a few games and each day when we got back we sat at the table on our wraparound balcony, played games, had snacks and watched the little trains on the opposite side zigzag on up. The kids loved tracking them through the tunnels and behind the trees. It was very soothing as the sun set. Of course, after a day on the Schilthorn, our room was also the perfect place to play James Bond (at least for my son)...sneak along balcony, leap through window, attack the pouffy covers on the beds. Endless amusement! We were set up as a triple room, but as I recall, my son slept alone in a double bed which would probably hole both your kids comfortably (you would of course ask). The breakfast buffet was also very kid friendly - what a spread! and of course, all you could eat.

Paris - most hotels I checked out don't include breakfast, but the Claude-Bernard in the 5th has a summer special - 4th night free and breakfast included. They were very nice to my kids. There was a metro stop a couple of blocks away, but we could also walk to Notre Dame. Here are pix of the 2 hotels we stayed at in Paris. The first is the Claude-Bernard, the second was the splurge (for us) of the trip. We enjoyed both.

http://tinyurl.com/gs9uo

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Kwren,
Thanks for hotel info, I'll look into it. 4 yrs ago we visited France and while in Paris we stayed near the Louve. It was a good location, but we were looking for ideas of other places too. We also rented apartments on on trip to Italy in 2005 and we may look into that route for parts of our trip too, depending on if we can find a shorter stay apartment or not.
Thanks,
Travelatte
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

I was trying to think of the places I've stayed the 6 (!) times I was in Paris with my kids and was surprised to realize that we stayed with friends 3 of the times, 3 hotels during 2 trips, and in an apartment once. The hotel I wrote about above was the best of the 3 for kids, and very good at that, although I'm sure there are hundreds of good ones to choose from. Choose your area and I'm sure you'll have a lot to search from. As a matter of fact, I'm sure many would be fine - my personal criteria other than quiet, comfy beds and nice bathrooms, is the free and copious breakfast because of my hungry sons! The breakfasts that you pay for separately in Paris always seem to be a croissant and piece of baguette. Good, but not the best to keep my kids going until lunch - they prefer the cheese, eggs, cereal, etc. and have so much fun eating as much as they want.

We did stay in an apartment once with the kids and we loved that too. What I miss about that is that I love to try out my French and don't get as much of an opportunity that way. We also don't always stay a week, which seems to be the normal time you must rent one.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Kwren,
Do you prefer the right bank or left bank in Paris? Just trying to figure the whole thing out. I'm just hoping I can get it all planned in time.
Thanks,
Travelatte
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Hi Travelatte

I've stayed on both sides and am happy anywhere in Paris so that is a hard one to answer. I loved being in the 1st near Rue de Rivoli when I spent a lot of timewalking and searching for souvenirs, but I especially love being in the 5th and the 7th with the hotels in the pictures listed above. I guess the left bank is going to win just marginally for me. I once stayed in the 17th and do not recommend that. It was just too far out, not close to anything except the office of the company I worked for. (My boss selected the hotel - at least it was beautiful!)

I guess I'm trying to say that you can't make a terrible decision if you stay in the center of Paris.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I just booked the Hotel Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen. Thanks so much for all your help. Now the trip seems to moving.

Travelatte
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Hi Travelatte

I wish I was back at the Silberhorn!

Another thing about the Silberhorn is that they have a mountain videocam running at all times in a room next to the (tiny) lobby. If you are going to go up a mountain, check the TV and see what the weather is. The kids loved checking this every morning. The people at the front desk were very nice about helping us decide what to do on one iffy day.

Don't forget, don't take the stairs leading directly up from the train station although you will be tempted because it looks so direct...turn left from the station and you will find a street running back up to the right to the hotel. More gradual and no steps (or gravel).

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi kwren,
Thanks for the help! I am now getting excited. Next I need to work on figuring out the trains and Paris. I'll keep you posted.

Travelatte
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:05 AM

We took a TGV from Geneva to Paris once and my son LOVED it. Bern is closer (since swandav said a TGV leaves from there) and there are a lot of trains from Interlaken to Bern. You won't have a problem figuring it out. Are you going first or second class?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

kwren,
We haven't gotten that far yet. I'll need to check the price difference. I know years ago in Italy the price between 1st class and 2nd was not that much, so we'll see. Can we purchase the passes online?

Thanks again for all the help.

Travelatte

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -