Notices

Short Trip to Switzerland & Paris

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
irish13girl

Short Trip to Switzerland & Paris

My guy friend and I are going to Switzerland from Feb 6-16. We are staying with friends in Zurich. We are wanting to do as much as possible. He mentioned wanting to go to Paris for at least a day to see the Eiffel Tower and going to Italy. Is this possible? I would love any suggestions or tips-(Must see or Must Do's.) Thank you kindly for all your help.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi irish13girl,

You can easily see Paris from Zurich, either by train or by air. If you take the train, consider a night train and staying one or more nights. You can check the rail schedules at www.rail.ch and budget flights at www.whichbudget.com

In Switzerland, most people go to the mountain villages of the Berner Oberland (Wengen, Muerren, & Grindelwald) on their first visit. They are about three hours from Zurich by train, so you may want to stay overnight there too. Luzern is also high on first-time visitors' lists, and it is only about an hour from Zurich so an easy day-trip. In Luzern, see the old town and take a ferry ride on the lakes.

Lesser-known areas close to Zurich are Rapperswil (also on Lake Zurich) and Basel.

Have fun deciding!

s
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM

A daytrip from Zurich to Paris is theoretically possible but not really practical unless you fly. Train - even using TGV - will take at least 6 hours or more each way. Some of the newer budget airlines may have service; Air France and Swiss both offer nonstop service but it would be a bit pricey and not allow much time for fun. (1-1/2 hours flight plus processing time each way). If you don't have your other transportation settled yet, you might think about spending the last couple days in Paris and flying home from there. We trained Zurich to Basel, spent a day and night there (Rhine cruise was nice) then trained to Paris and it was pleasant and relaxing - another option if you have the time.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I think Zurich, Paris, and Italy is pretty ambitious for 10 days, but certainly it can be done.

I think you need at least 2 days for Paris (have you checked how long the train ride is Zurich/Paris? i know from Geneva it's about 4-5 hrs).

Venice appears close enough glancing at a map. Maybe you could do a similar 2 day trip there as well?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM

IG - For Zurich-Paris also check:

www.airberlin.com

Where do you want to go in Italy? There are several budget airlines flying between Paris and Italy:

Venice:

www.myair.com (Orly-Venice)
www.ryanair.com (Beauvais-Treviso)

Rome:

www.ryanair.com (Beauvais-Ciampino)

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi I,

You could take the 23:09 train from Zurich and be in Venice at 07:35. You can return on the 22:52.

I suggest staying overnight in Venice.

Tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM
irish13girl

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I am doing my research!

Kindly,
t

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
irish13girl

Are there any reccomendations for nice restaurants in Switzerland? Is Davos a good idea?