24 hours in Swizerland

Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 hours in Swizerland

Earlier I wanted to stay 2 nights in Swiss, probably one night in Lucerne and the other in Zurich, or both in Lucerne. Based on people's comments, i realise early November is certainly not the best (probably the worst) time/season to visit Lucerne due to the weather. So i am considering to cut one day off. What i mean is:

4/11 morning arrive in Zurich from Amsterdam by train
take train to Lucerne to visit the town
stay over night in Lucerne,
5/11 take train back to Zurich
have a look around Zurich either on 4/11 or 5/11
then take train to Paris on 5/11

The reason i dont want to spend too much time on Zurich this time is i am sure next time we visit Europe, our flight will probably land in Zurich (or Frankfurt). Hopefully we will return for skiing in Swiss in winter or just come for beautiful scenery in warmer seasons.

However, I really want to know your opinions. I need to decide the itinerary ASAP. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Another option is we simply dont go anywhere, just spend the day in Zurich. What do you think?
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My opinion? I wouldn't go to Switzerland at all. Too many hours on the train getting there and then onward to Paris and not the best time of year.

I'd go somewhere in a more direct line between Amsterdam and Paris. More time sightseeing, less time sitting on trains.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

the train between amsterdam and zurich has been booked and not refundable.

actually i checked the train time/price between zurich and lucerne just now. it is CHF25/pp one way. for two of us, it will cost chf 100 return. too dear! now i am inclined to stay in zurich.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are taking the train from A'dam to Zurich and the next day on to Paris? That just doesn't make sense to me in any way.

I'd seriously consider 'eating' the train tix and just travel straight to Paris -- or maybe a night in Brussels if you just want to insert a stop over somewhere.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

the original plan was to stay in Swiss for a little bit longer. anyway...
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 11:00 PM
kja

I think janisj's idea is well worth considering, particularly because from what I can tell, your entire trip is at a hectic, breakneck pace, and cutting a destination or two to give yourself some time to actually see some of the places through which you will pass might make sense. But that's just my opinion.

If you decide to stay in Switzerland maybe you can play it by ear -- if the weather is good, go on to Lucerne; if not, visit Zurich's churches and museums.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 07:04 AM

>>the original plan was to stay in Swiss for a little bit longer<< . . . but apparently it no longer is. Sticking to the original plan when it no longer fits - maybe it is time to re-consider.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:15 AM

The weather in Zurich is not better than at Lucerne, Berne or in other Swiss towns.
Why do you plan to make the detour via Zurich if you want to go straight to Lucerne?
direct train connection: Amsterdam C dp 20.31, Basel SBB ar 6.47, dp 7.04 - Lucerne ar 8.05.

Similar remark for Lucerne - Paris: change at Basel instead of Zurich, it's faster and cheaper.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:22 AM

I would bag Switz at that time of year. If you are heading from Amsterdam to Paris this is a really long side trip that just wastes a couple of days. I would focus more on the things that are really doable in November.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:35 AM

Don't know exactly where the train to Zürich stops, but if it's paid for, you could still get off near Strasbourg (e.g. Offenburg or Karlsruhe) and spend some time in Strasbourg. Lovely city, short train ride to Paris. And definitely less expensive than Zürich.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:43 AM

Ingo's idea has merit - I think the train goes through Cologne and Strasbourg which would be possibilities. I'd still be inclined to bag the train tickets . . . but if you can't bring yourselves to do that consider getting off somewhere nice and cut your losses.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

i booked the night line for two. It will arrive in Zurich in the morning around 8:30.I will consider Ingo's suggestion, but i guess i will arrive there(strasbourg) at like 5am ish?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 05:35 PM
kja

Are you familiar with the concept of "sunk costs"? I recommend that you google it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 07:03 PM

I had a 'sunk cost' situation last month. I had booked a train from York to London for late-ish in the evening. Paid for, reserved seat, bargain fare. But it would get me into London at nearly 11PM. At about 4PM I decided I wanted to get to London sooner and not slog around York til after 8PM. Went to the station about 4:30 to see what was available . . . my ticket wasn't changeable so I booked a new £95 fare and was in London, checked into my hotel in Whitehall, had dinner and riding the Eye before I would have originally arrived at Kings Cross. (Even spent an additional £25 on board to upgrade to First)

Could I have stuck with my old tix -- sure. Did I have a better trip bagging it - absolutely.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Amsterdam - Strasbourg by CityNightLine:
Amsterdam dp 20.31 - Offenburg ar 5.19, dp 6.32 - Strasbourg ar 7.04
Offenburg has no railway station restaurant, nor any other decent place open at 5.19.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

janisj, you knew you would arrive in london at 11pm. you might or might not have a plan when you made that booking. then you changed your mind and wasted the money. surely, it seems you had a pretty good night on that day. but i dont think i am in the same situation. we are not european, it is our first trip there. we would like to have a look and feel about this city. thats it. i also learned the date we will be there is not ideal, so we have changed our plan, but we still want to take a look at zurich.

@kja,
if you cant understand the op, i recommend you read it again. thanks for ur input. period.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sitting here somewhere between Zürich and Lucerne typing on this computer. The weather is quite dreary today; what people might call typical November weather. There is no guarantee on having perfect weather in Switzerland at any time of the year.

Contrary to popular belief, November can offer some beautiful days, especially in the mountains. However, you'll have to pay for the train ride up.

I would follow your original plans and see what the weather is like. Lucerne is prettier than Zürich. Even Rapperswil is prettier than Zürich.

If the weather is gorgeous in the mountains, than head to the Rigi or Pilatus for a delightful day out.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 06:45 AM

The weather in the Swiss cantons of Valais and Ticino was just marvelous all the day. Actually (5pm), there are some clouds arriving from Savoie and Piemonte.
Places like Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Wengen were under or in the middle of thick fog as it is often the case in automn.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're determined to go all the way to Switzerland (instead of just Amsterdam to Paris) I would certainly not start cutting your time even shorter there by subtracting a day. If anything, can't you add some time, to make traveling all that distance a little more worth it?