Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7:45 a.m Train from Avignon -- Stay Last Night in Avignon or St. Remy

Nov 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

I will using St. Remy as a base on my visit to Provence in April. I will be catching a TGV train from Avignon to Paris at 7:45 a.m. I am scheduled to return my rental car to the Avignon TGV station. Debating on whether to spend my last night in Avignon instead of St. Remy to avoid any travel issues returning the car, driving from St. Remy etc... Since this is my first trip to Provence, welcome your advice on best plan of action. Thank you.
Nov 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM

The time to the Avignon TGV station from either Avignon or St Remy is about the same - within 15 mins of each-other. I suggest, however, that you do a "dry-run" a day or two ahead of time. As you enter the TGV complex, circle to the right to find the car return area. Stay out of the left most lane as you get behind the TGV station - people will be dropping passengers off there & the line moves slow. If you get in that line, you may have to circle the complex again to get in the correct lane. That's why a "dry run" is a good idea.

Stu Dudley
Nov 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Always allow an hour allowance so you dont have to rush. Can you just rent a car in Avignon without booking in advance?
Nov 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Traffic at that time of day won't be heavy but why risk it? I would stay in Avignon the night before, unless changes hotels is a big hassle.
Nov 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM

PS: Years ago, before I was living in St. Remy, I was leaving town early in the morning in a rental car, heading for the train station in Avignon and then on to Paris to catch a flight back to the US. I went round the rond point too fast (ok, I admit it...I was eating one last croissant while driving) and I smacked the curb, flattening my tire. It wasn't even light out yet and in that moment, I knew I would never make my flight home. I hitchhiked back to town, catching a ride with a potato farmer, and went back to the hotel and started making the necessary calls, to the car rental agency, the airline, etc. What's the message? Skip that last croissant or stay in Avignon the night before!
Nov 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM

I second Stu's advice re: dry running your car drop-off. The entry and location can be confusing but once you are familiar, it is not difficult. The TGV station is outside of Avignon and you would not want to be looking for it on your departure date.

Another concern might be regarding your rental return office's opening time. Do check and make certain you can return at a time which allows you enough time to make your train.
Nov 28th, 2010, 04:04 AM

we did the same drop from Carianne, about 1 hr or less from the TGV - we did a dry run a couple of days before too - glad we did as the station exit off the main street was not well marked back then. Eurocar was not open that early but they had a drop box that worked fine. Sure you will have to do that at that time of day! I would stay in your gite and take plenty of time to get there - was a fun trip on the TGV back to Paris - have used the TGV a couple of times since and will do so again in May when we go from CDG to Avignon and 2 weeks in the Provence-will need to depart from downtown on the way home as we want to spend the last 4 days in Paris so no need to go to CDG and then go back downtown on the RER as far as I can tell
Nov 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM

Yes, I would be concerned with the opening time of the office also.
Nov 28th, 2010, 04:45 AM

I would not move, the TGV station is outside Avignon and not hard to access from St. Remy, certainly as easy as getting out of the center of Avignon.

If you decide to move into Avignon, you might as well drop off the car the day before and taxi to the gare in the morning.
Nov 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM

One thing to consider: could you return the car the night before, and arrange for a taxi to the train station? Yes, I realize it seems silly to pay for a taxi when you have the car to get you there that very morning, but, it's an early train and it would reduce the odds of something happening like Julie mentioned...

Myself, I'd probably just give it ample, ample time. A dry run is a very good idea.
Nov 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM

If the car is dropped off the night before, the shuttle bus from Avignon Centre to Avignon TGV precludes the need for a taxi. (There are also a few hotels in walking distance from Avignon TGV.)
Nov 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM

You don't say if you are staying in a hotel in St. Remy or a rental that is already paid for. If it is a rental and you already paid for the night I would stay and just leave St. Remy in the morning to catch your train.

If you are staying in a hotel, I would go to Avignon the day before - return your car, visit Avignon and take a taxi in the AM to the station. The signage to Avignon TGV in the past has not been well signed but last year it seemed to be better marked and we had no trouble getting into the station from St. Remy area.

If you do go in the morning - just don't go too early. The place is in total gated lock down (until 6:00A) complete with roaming armed guards and big scary dogs.
Nov 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Tp clarify slightly, the Avignon TGV station is south of Avignon toward St. Remy. Per www.viamichelin.com, it takes 25 minutes to drive from St. Remy to the station. Probably not much traffic at that hour of the morning.

So unless you want to spend a night in Avignon, just go to the train station from St. Remy.

The car rental offices are behind the station proper and, as others report, slightly difficult to find.
Nov 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM

several years ago We dropped our car off while in Avignon at its airport and returned to
paris by plane.