Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far a drive from St Remy to Avignon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I am trying to plan our train travels to and from Paris while we visit Provence. We will need to drive from St. Remy to Avignon to return our car and catch a train. I am trying to figure out how much time we will need. Many thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Hi suzros,
It's only about 12 miles so it should take you around 30 minutes or so depending on the time of day. St Remy is a nice little town to stay in.
Have fun,
Michele
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM

That sounds right to me, too. I just did the same thing a couple of weeks ago after a week in St Remy myself.

My one bit of advice -- if you're going to the TGV station at Avignon -- is to make sure you know where to go to return the car. It was a little confusing: we had to enter a pay lot to drop the car. Looking back, I guess that's fairly standard, but the signage wasn't the best I've seen.

If you need to fill the gastank before returning the car, there is a huge Carrefour right near the train station.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM

I recall it being about 40min by bus, with stops and detours along the way for passengers. So much less by car.

It takes a little while to get from Avignon to the TGV station (we took the bus) so if you're not taking the car back to the TGV station you'll have to allow time for that.

Really enjoyed St Remy and would happily go back. If you enjoy walking, the walk from Les Baux to St Remy is lovely but not especially well sign posted (about 12km, I think). And try the chocolates from Joel Durand.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
One year we took a plane back from Avignon to Paris and left the rental car there without any charge.