Avignon vs. St Remy

May 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Avignon vs. St Remy

Hi,
Second forum for my trip, but wanted to focus on this question: If I want a base in Provence for a few days (not coast, that's the first part of my trip) to do a couple of day trips, see Lavender, explore a market etc. Which is a better option, Avignon, or St Remy. Also, what would be a couple of "can't miss" villages to choose. I was hoping to see Arles, but Roussillion, Gordes and others have also been recommended. I am obviously time limited and can't see everything, but would like to do the best I can. Thanks!
Daniella
May 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM

With auto or without?
May 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM

If you have a car, probably St Remy as it is small so easier to drive in/out of or find a place that might have some parking, even if on the outskirts. IN case you didn't know, Arles isn't a village,it's a city. If you don't have a car, you shouldn't stay in St Remy as there is no train station, stay in Avignon.

I like Roussillon a lot, Gordes is okay but not worth the trouble IMO.
May 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Agree with St Remy. From there we took day trips to see Avignon, Les Baux, Arles, Nimes, Pont de Gard, Aix, and the Luberon cities mentioned above. We were in St Remy for 6 days, though. We rented a car in Avignon upon arrival from Paris via TGV.
May 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Avignon is a relatively big city with all of the services that that implies. Saint Rémy is not, although it is big enough to cover just about anybody's needs.

So what really counts is having a car or not. If you don't have a car, choose Avignon. If you do have a car, either city is good, but Saint Rémy is cuter.
May 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Avignon is more my cup of tea - I like larger lively cities - when I was in St-Remy one August in afternoon during the long noon it seemed like a ghost town with - Avignon attracts a lot of foreign tourists and French too - to me it is no choice - I love to see folks milling around the streets at night - in St Remy it would be the street - just a small main drag.

So small quiet town or one that is lively day and night - to me hands down Avignon (or Arles) but as an arcane French saying says A cjhacun son gout - everyone has their own taste - Avignon is not a terror to drive in or out of as it is not that big but if going by public transports then Arles or Avignon of course as St-Remy has sporadic bus service and no trains.
May 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM

It really depends on whether or not you plan to have a car. Until we know that, hard to say. I'm not sure how you would easily travel from St. Remy without a car. If one of your goals is to see lavender in this area, you should visit Gordes and surrounding area.

When are you planning to go?
May 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM

It really depends on whether or not you plan to have a car. Until we know that, hard to say. I'm not sure how you would easily travel from St. Remy without a car. If one of your goals is to see lavender in this area, you should visit Gordes and surrounding area.

When are you planning to go?
May 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM

I stayed in Avignon without a car and took traveled by bus, train, boat to see other places. You can walk across the bridge to Villeneurve-les-Avignon, a lovely old villages where the popes lived and has a famous provincial garden
and a wonderful flea market on Saturdays.
Gordes is one of my favorite perche villages.
May 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM

WHEN are you going? The lavender blooms usually from late June through early August. Sault is one of the best places to see the flowers in full bloom.

If you don't have a car you'll find it difficult to visit the Lubéron villages--or quite a few other spots. Trains serve only major cities, and the bus schedule is set for students and commuters.
May 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Sorry all, I wasn't able to sign back in until now. Thank you for the tips, I was planning on having a car, and will be there the first week in July.
May 29th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Also, what would be a couple of "can't miss" villages to choose.>

don't miss Les Beaux, right near St-Remy - a ruined once vst citadel topping a rocky plateau this is one of the most riveting sites in Provence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=les+...=1600&bih=1075
May 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Les Baux
May 29th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Doing daytrips from Avignon with a car, you have to rather tediously wend your way out of and back into town. St. Remy is smaller and easier with a car. Most Provencal villages will be very slow in the afternoons. Stores close and the locals go home for lunch and a rest.
May 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

As predicted, I'm having a lot of trouble with hotels. Ideally I'd like to stay in St. Remy, but any other similar villages/towns are options. Recommendations appreciated.
May 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM

In St Remy, did you try L'Hotel right smack in the middle of the main street, They have their own parking
May 29th, 2013, 02:37 PM

If you are making plans for the first week in July, 2013, things may already be fairly booked up (that's just one month away!). This is a very popular destination, particularly during lavendar season, but maybe you'll get lucky. I've already booked my accommodations for my September trip.
May 29th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Oops, meant "lavender." You might want to pick up a reliable guidebook that lists accomodations, and start writing to them ASAP, if you meant July 2013.
May 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM

If they have openings, Sous Les Figuiers is a nice little hotel in St. Remy. Stayed there in 2009 but in late March, so we didn't even pre-book. Went to Gordes, Roussillion, Les Baux, Arles, to the Pont du Gard and Uzes. St. Remy was perfect with a car.
May 30th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, I already found something in Nice, just working on this leg of the trip. Samoca that hotel is already booked. Has anyone stayed in Vallon de Valrugues (also in St remy)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO