6th, 10th, or 12th?

May 15th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

6th, 10th, or 12th?

Well, I?ve been doing my research on this forum and talking to a travel agent. The travel agent gave me quotes on 2 hotels, Relais de Paris Lyon Bastille (in the 12th), and Rocroy (in the 10th). The prices she gave are better than anything I?ve found. But I?m going with a group of college students, and we were hoping to stay in the Latin quarter. It also seems that many of you recommend hotel Bonaparte, and after looking at that, it looks great too. So does anyone know anything about the other 2? Or should I just go with Bonaparte?
May 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM

What exactly are the quotes your agent got that are better than any you've found? It sounds like your agent is using HRN (I think same thing as hotels.com) as those hotels are on those kind of sites often. If your agent got them for US$40-50, then I think that is a bargain, otherwise probably nothing special given their location and rating.

I would question how this agent came up with those two particular hotels in all of Paris. I don't think people should let travel agents push them around like this, I never understand it. If you want to stay in the Latin Qtr, insist on it and stay there! There's no reason your agent has to turn up some hotel in the 10th arr (that's the Rocroy near Poisonniere metro which would be okay) if you said you wanted the Latin Qtr. There are tons of hotels in the Latin Qtr. Now, I suppose it may be your budget, so if you said I can only spend $40, you are probably limited to some chains that want to discount to agents a lot.

Both those locations would be okay and I'm sure you'd have a good time. I wonder what size your group is because I suspect a lot of hotels will not deal with a tour group of college students, frankly, and that may be your problem. If you only need a few rooms, though, I'm sure that can be handled. There are chain hotels in the Latin Qtr or near it, in any case, even the Relais de Paris or Jardins de Paris chain. Do you know that you can book rooms at the Bonaparte? If so, sure, I would.
May 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM

If you're with college students I don't think the Latin Quarter is a must. Try somewhere within walking distance of either Bastille or Republique.
May 15th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

our travel agent found us 2 hotels in the 10th for $45/person/night, both were redone in 2000 and are 3 stars. The one in the 12th is a 2 star for $37.50/person/night. I'm taking a class in England and we can travel on our weekends (thursday-sunday). thus far, 4 are planning on going, and 3 others are maybe's. The four of us were going to get 2 doubles. The best i've been able to find just on the web is about $50/person/night.
May 16th, 2003, 12:05 AM

The hotel in the 12th is a reasonable compromise between price and location if it is near the place de la bastille, not more than 2-3 blocks north or east. Both the place de la Bastille and the Gare de Lyon have many metro lines and you would be close to the Marais which is to the west of the place.
May 17th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Hi, We are going to Paris in August and
we are College Students and would like
to know if possible the name of the
hotels that you are staying in Paris...
We are in desperate need of a good, clean, Hotel and not expensive.
thank you.
my e-mail is [email protected]
May 17th, 2003, 05:54 AM
ira

Hi smalls,

$75/night for a double is a good price if bkfst is included and the room has AC. Otherwise, go with the Bonaparte if you can get a room.
May 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM

You might try researching the Latin Quarter hotels yourself, just by "searching" the internet. Both hotel booking sites, but also, I prefer when I can find the hotel directly.

Personally, I never use a travel agent because I feel they sway you to properties they find suitable, even if it is not what you have in mind.

I would suggest somewhere more central because walking Paris is the best!! Hold out for the Latin Quarter (5th), or maybe the Marais (4th), (lower numbered arrondisements mean more central) if that's what you really want. How many times do we get to Paris afterall (unfortunately!)?

Also try other bulletin board than Fodors, like www.lonelyplanet.com and go to Thorn Tree, Western Europe branch. This is more aimed at student & budget travelers than this site.