5th revised itinery-How am I doing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am still at this. I have made a few changes. We decided to spend one less day in Dublin and we will be leaving our car in Cork and flying to Dublin instead of driving in. We have also decided that we would rather keep moving on rather than spending more nights in one place.

Oct. 3 - Arrive at Knock airport,visit westport and sleep at Boulevard Guesthouse.

Oct 4 - drive to Clifden, thru Croagh Patrick and stay at Mallmore Country House

Oct 5 - Drive to Salthill,Galway and stay at Roncalli House or Marless House.

Oct 6 - Drive to Doolin, stay at Daly's House.

Oct 7 - Drive to Dingle, stay at Emlagh Lodge for 2 nights.

Oct 9 - Drive to Kenmare- Stay at Brook Lane Hotel

Oct 10- Drive to Kinsale -Stay at Pier House

Oct 11-Drive to Cork, stay at Airport Hotel-The Great Southern airport Hotel.

Oct 12- Leave very early flight for Dublin. Spend day visiting Dublin. Stay at Jury's Christchurch.

Oct 13- Visit Dublin. Take 7PM flight to Gatwick.

I have gone on ViaMichelin and AAroadwatch to get driving times but would like any advice on certain scenic drives not to miss on my route and also any advice on the B&B's that I have mentioned or if you have another recommendation.
I know some might think I am taking too long to finalize my trip but when you have never been to a country, it is hard to plan out an itinery,and because you learn so much on these boards you want to keep changing things. I am still open to all suggestions. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM

That's a very busy itinerary and Though it wouldn't be my 1st choice by any means, since this is your 5th try, I won'y try to change your mind.

Scenic drives:

Westport to Clifden; The the road west out of town to Louisburgh then south to Lenane over Doo Lough Pass. From there take the N59 into Clifden. You will pass Kylemore Abbey which is most interesting from a distance looking across the lake. With limited time, I wouldn't do the tour which doesn't show you much. The walk to the small chapel is more interesting but there are other things to do as well. The Sky Rd is the most interesting side trip from Clifden. It's nice as the sun goes down.

Clifden to Galway: Scenic route is through Roundstone and depending on how much of Galway you want to see, you can follow the little roads down to the coast and follow the coast much of the way, even go out to some of the islands. If you do that, you could easily spend most of the day touring and not much time in Galway. The roads are small and you would probably want to get out a lot. The N59 to Galway is a pretty rood road with very few towns to pass through so you would get there quickly if you wanted to spend more time in Galway.

Galway to Doolin: This is a pretty quick trip and most people take the n67 through Kinvara and on to Ballyvaughan. In Kinvara you'll pass Dunguaire Castle which is one of those great photo ops. It's mildly interesting on the inside and if the tide is in, the photo ops are great. From Ballyvaughan you have the choice of going south through the Burren or west along the coast. You will see a lot of coast line, so the Burren would probably be a good option. Poulnabrone Dolman is one of the most popular stops here. If you get there midday (and you probably will) there will probably be some tour buses to cope with.

Doolin to Dingle: Since this is your only two night stay, you can take some time getting to Dingle. Try to get a fairly early start and you can make it to Loop Head and stop and see the Bridges of Ross. Catch the ferry at Killimer. I think Dingle itself is a more interesting than the coast road through Ballybunion, so I would go that way.

Do the "Ring of Dingle", otherwise known as the Slea Head drive.

Dingle to Kenmare: You could feasibly to the Ring of Kerry, but it's a long ride and not everyones favorite. Most people love the drive from Killarney to Kenmare, but doing it in the afternoon will probably cause some run ins with buses coming back from a day on the Ring. You could also go where very few go, by cutting through the ring following the road south from Lough Caragh. It's a beautiful drive on a very small road for a large part of the drive. That could take a while.

There are lots of interesting ways to get from Kenmare to Kinsale. The N71 over Caha Pass and through the two tunnels is beautiful and not particularly scary. With you schedule I would probably take the N71 a lot of the way, considering side trips as time permits. Mizen would probably be too much, but I love it there. Visit the Drombeg Stone circle on the little coast road just past Glandore. From here on, it's nice to follow the coast roads anywhere you can find them.

Kinsale to the Cork airport is probably 30 minutes or less so consider taking a trip over to Cobh on the ferry. Lots of history there.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hi lyban...Please be sure to post a review concerning Mallmore Country House in Clifden. I have it booked for next May, and am anxious to hear a critique of it.

Happy Ireland Travels, sounds like a great itinerary!

Helen
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:45 AM
ira

ttt
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:18 AM

We loved Mallamore House near Clifden, but that was 6 years ago. I have a shot with their Irish setter in the early AM that I like.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wojazz3,
I am printing your route suggestions and will take them along. You seem to think it is a very busy schedule. I thought that now that I am flying to Dublin from Cork and leaving a day off Dublin from my previous itinery,my schdule was getting easier but I read from your post that you don't think so.
It seems to me that the travel times I have each day are very light. I also thought that being the first week in October that maybe the roads would not be too too busy. I know that we have a new place to stay every night but we will be travelling light.Even though it is no. 5 try, I do not mind if you tell me what you think?
Bobthenavigator: Glad to see you enjoyed the mallamore house.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Actually, I phrased that wrong. The travel times are pretty light with the exception of the Kenmare to Kinsale day and perhaps Doolin to Dingle if you go to Loop Head. It's just a lot of packing and unpacking. I think I remember that Westport was an important stop for you and it's a shame you can't spend more time there. It's a lovely area with lots to do.

Dingle to Kenmare is also a very short drive but Kenmare has a seemingly unending list of great things to do in the area. None-the-less, I'm certain you will have a great time. You are going to some wonderful areas and tourism should be pretty low at that time of year. There will be no bank holidays to contend with while you are there.

I should note, I've done a trip that was as on the go as yours and had a great time. I just prefer to slow down more now. I guess I'm getting old. Have a great time and have a pint for me!

Bill
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Best bacon I ever had---and that dog was to die for---we bonded that foggy morn.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Hi Lyban,
I think the tourist traffic will be light in October which will be nice.

My husband and I have done several trips - Italy/E.Europe - where we sort of scoped out the country by moving to a different place each night, wanting to see it all. Now we like to get to know a place and try, ahead of time, to find those really great places worth spending more time in.

That said, I think if you spent 2 nights in Westport, you'd be glad you did. You could skip Galway or Kinsale as they are the least fabulous places on your list, IMHO.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM

In reply to Lyban's itinery which I have read on both www.tripadvisor.com and Fodor's and I am concerned as I have checked and re-checked my diary & emails and I do not have a reservation for a couple for the nights of October 7th & 8th at Emlagh Lodge. Not sure if there is a mistake on my behalf or whether you have mixed me up with Emlagh House? Please get in touch with me if there is an error on my behalf with your reservation. [email protected]