Cliffside Driving--Dingle, Ring of Kerry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to return to Ireland next spring. As I've been to most areas, I'd like to try Dingle, which I've avoided because of my fear of heights, esp. when driving. Years ago I drove the Ring of Kerry and recall being quite nervous, and I was 15 years younger! Is it possible to get to Dingle (town) and spend time in that area without having to drive on high cliffside roads? Or is that pretty much the only way to get there? If so, could anyone suggest a SW area (not Killarney--been there) that would be a good trip that doesn't include those cliffside drives? My intellect tells me those roads are safe, but I become paralyzed with fear. Thanks for any help provided!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I will assume you are flying into Shannon. Take the N-20 to the N21 south to Castlemain. R561 to along the coast to Dingle. Have done this drive twice and I don't recall any cliffs. Figure on 2 1/2 hours from Shannon. Stay away from the Connor pass. If you want to wander further south the drive between Baltimore (south ofr Skibereen) along the N-71 to Kinsale is lovely, stay along the coast, lots of small seaside villages, no scary cliffs. Have fun
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Holldoll...I agree on the poster above..easy road into Dingle, I've done a few times...no scares.

Stu
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is just what I wanted to know. Anyone have any suggestions for lodging in the Dingle or Kinsale areas? We don't care for B&Bs, but prefer hotel/manor houses or the like which include dinner. Once we're in for the evening, we don't like to wander out (getting old is no fun!). We've enjoyed Abbeyglen Castle in Clifden a couple times and would like to find similar lodging this trip. Thanks again for any help!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:18 AM

Large modern hotel in Dingle is the Dingle Skellig, good dining room. Kinsale is loaded with hotels. Try the Blue Haven Hotle and rest. or the Bank House both are high end but very nice.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

Always drive counter clockwise around Dingle...it puts you on the inside. Makes it much easier.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did the ring of Kerry counterclockwise and was still fairly mortified. I'm told Dingle is much scarier.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:34 PM

I would recommend going clockwise around the Dingle Peninsula. That's the way the busses go, and there are a lot of choke points in driving the opposite way.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Technically, there is a point on the "Ring of Dingle" that buses are not to pass, but they do. I've always done both Dingle and Kerry clockwise. There are some tricks to Kerry, like getting an early start and then heading out to Valentia while the bulk of the buses pass by. I avoided almost all of the buses last time I went this way.

Now the worst road in Ireland that I have been on is the road to the car park at the Bunglass (Slieve League) Cliffs in Co. Donegal. Cliffs and no stone fences and steep in spots. Provides some excellent terror.

Bill
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Exactly one year ago we drove the Slea Head drive and did not find it scary at all. In some cases you have to be careful but no more so than driving in the rush hour in any U.S. city - in fact U.S. rush hour driving is MUCH scarier!! We drove clock-wise. Of course it was October and there were very few buses - maybe 2 or 3. Getting to Dingle was even less of a concern as far as hazardous driving goes.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM
CU

For all you want to know about Kerry and Dingle go to www.kerry-tourism.com and enjoy the snaps and lists of accommodation etc.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM

We have driven Slea Head a couple of times and are so busy being awed by the beauty that there is no fear of the roads. On our last trip we were held up a bit by a group/flock of sheep who came down a driveway and meandered along the middle of the road for a while. We usually go off-season and meet few if any buses.

My husband is great for finding the most terrifying roads. We took some desperate hairpin turns inland on the tip of the ROK; but lunch at a pub in Portmagee calmed my nerves.

Bill is absolutely right about Slieve League for the terror factor. When we reached the top, we found a fellow prying his wife out of the car. She immediately sat on a rock and vowed not to let go. No, it wasn't me. I found it exhilarating!