5 Hours Layover in Paris

Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

5 Hours Layover in Paris

We're flying through Paris (CDG) on our way to Ireland in January. I have googled and googled, and it seems that trying to go into Paris is not a good idea. I've been to CDG before, but it was my last stop and I don't remember it being such a hassle. Anyway, is there someplace closer to the airport that would be good for breakfast? Maybe a quaint town/suburb? Our layover is 6:30AM-11:30AM. If not, we'll just bring an extra good book to read, but I figured I'd at least ask!
Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Bring a book.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM

If you're landing at 6:30 and supposed to take off again at 11:30 you obviously don't have five hours to work with. Assume you're a normal half hour late, then you have to be back at the airport by 10:30 for the 11:30 flight. Best case scenario is that you've got three and a half hours to deal with your luggage and rush somewhere which sounds like coffee, croissant and a good book at the airport.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi tw,

It takes about 0:45 hr to get into town. You have to be back by 10:30 at the latest. That's 2:30 hr of your five. You have time, if all goes well, to get to the vicinity of Notre Dame for a quick cuppa.

Jul 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM

I disagree with ira's advice. (How long has it been since he's been in CDG?)

The quaint suburbs around CDG are not great neighborhoods and, besides, it takes forever to just get out of CDG these, or even get between terminals. They are suburbs in themselves.

I found a not-bad breakfast inside CDG of quiche's with comfy deep sofas to sit in, not to mention a whole lot of Paul's vending carts open even at 6am. There is also an internet station. I bought wine to take with me. Had my layover been longer, I would have uncorked it and read.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

There will be 5 of us, so we'll just entertain ourselves in the airport. Thanks for the advice!
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM

I don't think quaint exists around any major international airport, at least not in Europe. The problem is five hours is not long enough to really leave the airport, it's a long layover, but just an awkward time. Just eat breakfast at the airport, it's just breakfast. I would never assume you can get to the airport at 10:30 for an 11:30 flight, either. IN fact, I think that may be outside a lot of airlines' time limits to let you on the plane, unless you manage to get through all of security and to the gate in only 15 minutes (which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it).
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Stay at the airport. There are plenty of cafés there with decent French breakfast foods and good coffee. It would be a major gamble to leave and expect to get back in time to make that next plane.
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM

No way to leave the airport. Amuse yourselves by taking the CDGVAL on a tour of the other terminals. Last time I met my brother's flight from Los Angeles and it was 2 hours late, that's what I did.
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
ira

My dear zepp,

>I disagree with ira's advice. (How long has it been since he's been in CDG?) <

Please educate me as to which part of my posting was incorrect and what it is with which you are in disagreement.

Have things changed very much since last May?

Jan 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM

If you have a short layover at cdg airport
How about a visit from a pretty little village near the airport ?
Roissy Village is located at 5 minutes from cdg airport
- have a lunch in one of our 25 restaurants
- make a stroll in the park
- rent a bike and discover the "vallée verte"
- enjoy the outdoor photo exhibition
- take a historical walking tour with the guided recording
Have a look on our website www.hotels-roissy-tourisme.com
Have a nice layover in roissy cdg.