Search

overnight layover in paris!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overnight layover in paris!

Hey all!

I am ending my honeymoon with an overnight layover in Paris in September. We land at 7p, and leave the next morning around 10:30a. I have been doing some research, and it sounds like the best way would to be catch a cab at CDG to downtown Paris (around 60euro), check into our hotel (tbd, any suggestions?) and maybe have a nice dinner and some drinks, then get up around 6a, have breakfast and maybe hit some of the big sights before catching the metro around 7:45-8a.

Would love any and all input/advice on this! Is it manageable? What would you do differently?

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM

I don't see how you'll have time to hit many big sights in under 2 hours, unless your hotel is right by one (e.g., Eiffel Tower). Maybe you could arrange for a private car that would drive you by a few sights on your way to the airport? Though, unless it's a weekend day that's probably rush hour and not a good time to be driving around the city. Also, I think most people would recommend you get to CDG 2 hours before your flight which means leaving the city by about 7:30 or earlier, depending on mode of transport.

My recommendation is to pick a hotel near a sight you're most interested in (or a hotel near Notre Dame b/c it's central and you could see ND, Seine and the islands). Plan to get out of your hotel by about 6 and pick up breakfast to eat while wandering around for a bit before heading to the airport.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM

On my one-night layover in Paris about 10 years ago I checked in at the Sheraton at CDG and dropped my bags. Then I took the RER to Luxembourg, walked about, and had dinner. Returned to CDG late. Woke up and walked to the Air France check-in. Very convenient.

Agree with Sidny. You don't have time in the morning for sight seeing. Job one is to get to the check-in counter.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, get a hotel at the airport (there are dozens) and then go into town if you want, preferably using the RER for 8.70€.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM

I always arrive at CDG 3 hours before flight time - 2 really isn't enough at that airport.