5 days in Ireland - Itenerary help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are hoping to get some advice for a 5 day trip to Ireland. We fly into Dublin on April 20th - flying out April 25th.

We had planned to get out of the city the first day ( on to Kilkenny, Cork? Not Waterford...) and had initially hoped to make it over to Dingle or Galway, but are thinking that may be too far to travel in such a short time. We had also planned to stay in Dublin our last days of the trip.

We are open to any and all itenerary advice! Thank you!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:59 AM

There's an hourly CityLink (private) Bus that goes from Dublin airport to Galway (about 3hr 45 min). Last year it was 15 Euro one-way, 25 Euro Return
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:01 AM

Please don't drive that far getting off the plane. Cork is a 6 hour trip and not always on easy roads compared to the Highways in the U.S. Kilkenny is closer but still a 2 ? hour drive. Talk it easy on the first day.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:47 AM

I agree--six hours is wau too long to drive after a flight. I just drove from Shannon to Clifden--four hours--on my first day. The last hour got real long. I made it okay, but two or three hours would have been preferable, unless you are entirely comfortable with left side drive. Then maybe a bit longer.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:09 AM

I always try to dissuade people from driving straight off the plane for other reasons. If you are not used to driving on the opposite side and are driving more rural roads you can kill someone else or yourself. You need to be rested and attentive.

Many a times as a kid my father veered to the other side and had a near miss. Its unfair to others to put them in jeopardy. Years ago there was a terrible accident with the actor Matthew Broderick and his girlfriend at the time and they crashed head on into another car. One or two people were killed in the other car. I think it was because he veered to the wrong side of the road and there was an uproar at the time about the safetly issues of tourists driving. Better safe and rested.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:04 AM

why not try getting flight direct from dublin to kerry on www.aerarann.ie good deals going at the moment. otherwise by bus or taxi transfer direct to heuston station, for kerry train to killarney . whats your arrival time? will check train time for you. relax on the train,enjoy the scenery, land in killarney will give you good deal in my guesthouse www.glenahouse.com arrange tour of ring of kerry or dingle for you next day on bus approx 10€ each then hire car drive to Glaway via ferry to clare passing cliffs of moher on to Galway stay the night or two, do tour of connemara or get day trip to arann islands. Drive back to dublin for last night or two nights before you go, visit museums, art galleries pubs trinity college and grafton st. for shopping etc. Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge, very good, well priced good standard, great location to stay. In Dublin go to rollys Bistro Ballsbridge for meal you wont forget it.

most of all enjoy uyour trip and til then happy st. patricks day.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all - especially Mr. Buckley! Our flight arrives in Dublin about 10:30 am - how long is the train trip from Dublin to Killarney? Should we just spend the first night in Dublin and catch a morning train to Killarney the next day? Is there a car rental that allows pick up in one city and drop off in another?

SO many questions!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Most of the car rental agencies in Ireland allow you to pick up at one site and drop off at another without an extra charge. That said, there is a standard upcharge to pick up or drop off at Dublin and Shannon airports (E25 or so) and it may hold true at the smaller airports, though I think you only have to pay it once. I like the idea of taking the train out and driving back. To stay in Dublin or not for the first night. I think if I was taking the train, I would do that. If I was flying, I think I would stay at the airport. Now, if you have no interest in Dublin, just get out of town.

Bill
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM

By the way, the link to the irish rail system is:
http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

Bill
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM

If you've not been to Ireland - don't let the short mileage distances deceive you! It takes a long time to get anywhere. Most of the roads are narrow and speed limits are low. With that said, the Ballyhoura country around Mallow is absolutely beautiful and off the usual beaten tourist track. There are loads of inexpensive farm houses and cottages to rent. County Cork has much to do and see, but Cork city is a nightmare to drive in. The Ring of Kerry and Dingle penninsula are both beautiful, but a long long way from Dublin.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Hi Holldoll

How did you enjoy your stay in Ireland?

Angela