How much driving is too much?

Jul 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

How much driving is too much?

How much driving do you think is too much to do in one day in Ireland?
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM
rex

23 hours? Aren't you the only one who might possibly know that? Is the goal to see anything, or to circumnavigate the entire Irish coastline?

Dublin to Waterford to Cork to Dingle to Shannon to Galway is about 11 hours, according to mappy.com (11 days would be a more reasonable pace) - - but I'm sure that taking smaller roads, it would be possible to drive in a continuous non-repeating loop for much longer than that.

Perhaps rephrase the question.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jul 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Too much driving in Ireland depends on where you drive. Out in the boonies, 20mph can be fast on some roads. Most tourists want to see it all, so they spend long hours driving to their next B&B. This makes their trip a race, since they leave late in the morning, stay up late at night, and don't follow the best roads. A shorter distance between B&Bs gives the driver more time to see what they came to Ireland for. Some people just like to drive. They never drive too much.
Jul 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM

My rule of thumb is that we don't want to spend more than two hours in the car on our way to a destination (if we plan on driving back to our starting point, for example.)
Exception is, we will drive a long distance if we have a distant destination in mind and once, there we are staying put for a while.
Anything else is for me is too much sightseeing time spent in a car.
Jul 11th, 2006, 04:22 AM
ira

Hi S,

My rule is to spend no more than 4 hr driving from one destination to another.

If I am staying in one place and driving to several sights, I try to make it 2 hr out and 2 hr back.

Jul 11th, 2006, 05:38 AM

We have no hard and fast rules with this but I do not like spending hours in a car even if the scenery is great. Also 3 hours at home is very different to 3 hours in a strange country, 3 hours on a motorway different to tiny narrow roads. 3 - 4 hours in a day would be about our normal - and not usually every single day and not in one stretch. Would be interspersed with visiting sites, having coffee, having lunch etc. Unless we are driving from point A to B, staying there for a while and there is a good reason to do longer.
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I like to keep lodging destinations no more than 100 miles apart. Less is better.

By the way, other than the lack of location in the title, the question is a good one.

Bill