5 day trip to Prague

Dec 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

5 day trip to Prague

My mother and I will be going on a 5-day trip to Prague. I know that's too short, but we're lucky to be able to do this much. We're planning two full days in Prague and then hiring a driver to take us to the town where she grew up. Anyways, we're thinking sometime the end of April/beginning of May for a long weekend. Would it be better to do 5 days during the week or to include the weekend? Are there any days that would best be avoided? Any holidays we should know about where things might be closed? Also, what will the weather be like? Thanks for any advice you can give me. If you have any names of drivers, that would be appreciated too.
Laurie

Dec 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM

The only advice I can give you is regarding when you go. Usually the airfares are cheaper if you fly on Mon.-Thurs., so you may want to consider leaving mid-week and returning at the beginning of the next week. My guess about the weather is that it will be pleasantly warm, but I bet you can look up norms for that time of year online. Have a great trip.
Dec 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM

May 8 is liberation day, a national public holiday. Weather is likely to be unpredictable, hardly really nasty but one never knows in April in central Europe. Take rain gear and a layer against chills on cool days, rain is likely no matter what the temperature.

You may get to see early blossoms, but if you can, wait until late May, it will all look much much nicer.

WK
Dec 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM

May 1 is Labor Day, May 8 is liberation day--I found by googling Czech National holidays.

If you are interested in music, then the Prague Spring Music Festival starts on Thursday, May 11.

I have only been here for four months, but, evidently, the music festivals are really well-done and a treasured part of the culture.

(As your trip gets closer, post if you would like some good restaurant options.
Dec 18th, 2005, 05:15 AM

The definitive trip report on Prague: The Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha. I will top it for you, my friend.
Dec 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll be back with more questions soon!
Laurie
Dec 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Hi,
I lived in Prague...So, donīt choose a weekend, because there are lots of people every weekend...week is less busy...

I think that 5 days is good...you will have enough time for main sights...choose some accommodation in the centre (Prague 1), you will have the most famous places close to you.

About weather: April is quite rainy mounth. May is usually better...The first of May is bankholidays in the Czech Republic. It is our day of love (like your valentine day), so, Prague is not so busy during this day. We have a special habits of this day.

What is the name of the town, which you want to visit too...maybe it is better to find a driver from this town...

I will be back here tomorrow
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. The name of the town is Chomutov. What are the special habits of your "valentines day" type day?
Thanks,
Laurie
Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:20 AM

Hi blackmons,
we have three special habits:

1. Witch burning: This is a very old custom. It takes place on 30 of April.

Centuries ago people believed that there were invisible witches flying all over around them and also believed that the witches' power was strongest at night on 4/30 to 5/1. Therefore they used to set big bonfires on the hills to scare witches off. We have bonfires on this night till these days. But now it is not really about witches it is more about people getting together, singing, sitting around the fire when it is finally starting to be warm again as winter is gone.

2. Build of Majka (specially decorated tree) in the centre of all towns and villages - mainly on squares or commons. It takes place on 30 of April too.

The tree must be very high with decoration on the top. All people from a village (or town) spend night around their Majka and have to guart their tree. Majka must not be stolen. It is big shame for the village, which Majka is stolen. There is lots of fun and it is drinking nigth too.

3. The day of lover: It takes place on the first of May. It is celebration of love and coming spring. Each region has own tradition. Lovers go for a walk and they kiss under flowered tree (in my region it is under flowered cherry). This day is a bankholiday.

Now about Chomutov:
I donīt know that your mum remember about this town. It is town of indastry - specially of mining of coal. So, it is quite destroyed town after communist period. But now, it is change to be better...you will see...

I think that it is better to find a driver from Praque...because Chomutov is not touristic town.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like a wonderful holiday -- thanks for telling me about it!
Laurie