Reload this Page >

Prague on alert for storm surge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:58 PM
anon

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/08/12/floods.europe/index.html<BR><BR>Other countries such Spain, Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, France and Germany are experiencing floods also.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Dennis

There was a damaging wave that came down the Vltava river on friday and through Prague. There are several low-lying streets and islands that are flooded. Several districts of Prague are without electricity. There is more rain forecast in the next few days and they are afraid that there may be more flooding in Prague. People have been told to leave parts of Cesky Krumlov.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Maggie

Any more information, I fly to Prague tomorrow!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Belinda

Early this morning, people who live in the old parts of the town were urged to leave their houses.<BR><BR>Maggie, hope your trip will be fine nonetheless. <BR>It has got to stop one day, this rain, no?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Maggie

Thanks Belinda,<BR>I am actually staying in a small village about 5 miles SW of Prague for the first three days, but it looks as though my walk around the Old Town may have to be put on hold until I return to the city on 26 August after a trip to Slovakia and the Tatras.<BR>Hopefully by that time the floodwater will have subsided.<BR>Let us hope that not too much distress is caused to those who live in the city nor damage to the buildings.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Maggie

Thanks Belinda,<BR>I am actually staying in a small village about 5 miles SW of Prague for the first three days, but it looks as though my walk around the Old Town may have to be put on hold until I return to the city on 26 August after a trip to Slovakia and the Tatras.<BR>Hopefully by that time the floodwater will have subsided.<BR>Let us hope that not too much distress is caused to those who live in the city nor damage to the buildings.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Denise

Just saw on my internet home page (MSNBC) an article titled "Europe battles worst flooding in 100 years"<BR>Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, some areas of Germany and Switzerland are under water. Check it out.<BR><BR>Denise

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
EP

It is bad. My cousin in Austria has been evacuated, and she is afraid her home has suffered irreparable damage. News said the death toll by now is 72 in central European flood areas.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:53 AM
kate

Maggie, if you have a tour operator, I suggest you contact them, or your hotel , now, to find out what's going on. I've heard that towns SW of Prague are badly hit as well, and a colleague of mine has already had to cancel his trip next week because his hotel in Prague is flooded.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:18 AM
sara

FYI. This was forwarded to me by a friend who lives in Prague.<BR><BR>13-08-02 13:43 <BR><BR>Dear colleagues <BR>This is the latest information about the situation in Prague. The flow rate of the river Vltava is now 3200sq meters/s and should reach 4000. There is expected a culmination of the highest level in last 100 years at 2pm. Around Vltava river tens of thousands of people are being evacuated in the Karlin, Smichov, Liben, Holesovice, Mala Strana areas. Troja is now completely cut off. These evacuees are expected to remain away from home for at least 2 weeks. In case of evacuation you should obey the authorities instructions. You should take along personal medication, documents, supplies of water, and food for at least 24 hours. Evacuees are being housed in schools and in hotels. <BR>Most of the bridges are closed including the Charles Bridge. Some of these areas are losing electrical power and it is recommended to get a supply of candles. The cash machines are likely to be cut off as well. <BR>People in Prague have started to buy groceries in huge quantities and the long lines are being formed in supermarkets and grocery shops. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Maggie

Hi Kate,<BR>No, I am travelling independently with a Slovak girl and it is her brother that we are staying with near Prague.<BR>She spoke to him today and public transport is severely disrupted as you can imagine.<BR>His village has floods but their house is on a hill so, as yet, not affected.<BR>We have planning this trip for five months and we don't intend pulling out now.<BR>Hopefully the floods will start subsiding very shortly and I shall at least be witnessing a piece of history.<BR>The first such floods for 100 years.<BR>So, it looks as though I shall not be strolling across the Charles Bridge in glorious August sunshine on Thursday, or taking the planned river cruise or the guided bus tour - but at least I shall not be at work!<BR>Good luck to all the emergency services working out there.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:28 AM
sandi

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ch_floods_dc_3

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:20 AM
mark

Story in the Prague Post about the flooding<BR><BR>http://www.praguepost.com/P02/2002/20814/news1.php

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:21 AM
xxx

Has Italy been hit? That's dangerously close to Venice, which is practically underwater anyhow. I saw a picture of some of the flooding in Viareggio, but it's on the coast, so that's probably not uncommon. Any threats from the Arno or the Tiber?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:10 AM
mark

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/31239<BR><BR>transcript of reporter on the banks on the Vltava.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Ellen

So sorry! I hope all of our fellow fodorites and their families are safe. I have just reviewed the slideshow pictures on Yahoo and am in shock. Absolutely devastating. Maggie, I have just heard that Prague is closed to tourism until further notice. I would call before heading to the airport. They are in an absolute state of disaster. I am afraid your trip needs to be postponed. Once again, we are praying for all of you in the affected areas that your lives will be back to normal as soon as possible.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Maggie

Hello Ellen,<BR>I spoke with the airline today and the flight is operating as normal.<BR>We shall head for the airport tomorrow and get the latest news there.<BR>This is a family visit more than tourism, I have known the family for 30 years and they would be so disappointed if I were to bunk out on this first trip to their country - they have gone to so much trouble to plan an interesting itinerary for me - mainly in Slovakia.<BR>We have had good news coverage on the BBC and the pictures are heart rending.<BR>If I check in on this forum tomorrow you will know that my trip has been cancelled - if I don't - then I am travelling and will make contact on my return.<BR>I'm surprised that we have not heard from jasoncholt, the Prague expert - maybe he is one of those who has been evacuated -where are you Jason?<BR>Thank you all for your reports and comments.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Susan

Maggie, Good luck and please keep us posted. Those of us who have trips planned would like to know what you find when you get there. Our prayers are with all of the Czech people coping with a terrible situation.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:59 AM
matt

Any personal updates about what's going on over there?<BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
mark

http://pat.radio.cz:8080/ramgen/rm/EN/02/08/EN020814-13.rm<BR><BR>Lots of photographs and live audio on Radio Prague

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -