4-star hotels in Paris

Search

4-star hotels in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-star hotels in Paris

Between the Holiday Inn - Paris Republique and Le Meridien Montparnasse, which one is a better hotel with more spacious rooms, & more convenient to get to the top Paris attractions? Which area is safer for a family with teenager girls?
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I think they are about equally convenient to get places. The HI Republique is right at a metro stop that is a major hub, and looks onto a lovely place that has a caroussel in the summer.

I think the Meridien is marginally safer, though, at least if you mean those girls are going to be running around alone at night, possibly late. There can be problems at the Republique metro at night. Having said that, one can have problems in the huge Montparnasse station, also, or right outside it but I would still say the area of bd MOntparnasse and to that hotel and the general broad area would be more appealing in several ways. There are movie theatres and tons of cafes, for one thing, and a lot of teens go out in that area at night, so they will find them at cafes in that area very easily.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I have stayed at both and prefer the Holiday Inn at Place de la Republic. It has a pretty original facade and inner courtyard. The two-bed rooms are large and just fine--I remember them as a bit dark, to preserve the facade I assume, as there was just one long narrow window. But, hey, you're rarefly in the room.

Just across the place is an excellent bistro--Chez Jenny, I think. I remember walking down one of the long streets that converge on the Place and seeing one motorcycle shop after the other--interesting.

I did not much care for the Meridien--it is a much larger hotel, very business-oriented in feel. Endless unattracive corridors and smallish rooms. HOWEVER, my info is probably 3 to 4 years old and I understand there has been some rennovation.

In terms of distance to attractions, I'd say about the same but maybe the Meridien has a slight edge.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
ira

Hi wis,

>Which area is safer for a family with teenager girls?<
Unless you are planning to let them out on their own all night, safety won't be an issue.

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi Christina & Cathinjoetown,

Thanks for your favourable advice. I read from Tripadvisor that Holiday Inn is undergoing some major renovation and hopefully it'll be done by late July when we visit. It seems that it's closer to the Eurostar station as we will travel from London and going to Brussels after our stay in paris.