4 star hotel

May 1st, 2002, 06:17 AM
don

4 star hotel

This is way beyond my budget, but my sister needs advice on the nicest four star hotel in Paris. She is in her early fifties, if that makes a difference, and travelling with her husband. And should I recommend left bank or right? Thanks

May 1st, 2002, 08:31 AM
elaine

The left bank has some pretty little boutique hotels, and one large one called the Lutetia, but the really top "palace" hotels are on the right bank.
Examples are the Ritz, the Bristol, the Meurice, the Prince de Galles,
the Crillon, the Intercontinental Grand,
the George V, the Raphael, etc.

May 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
don

Thank you for your reply, but aren't the palace hotels you mentioned five star hotels?

May 1st, 2002, 09:08 AM
Kathy

Don, there are no 5 star hotels in Paris. They are either 4 star or 4L. The L stands for "luxury". This is the same as a 5 star by american standards. A 4 star hotel can be a small "boutique" type of hotel. A 4L is a hotel such as the Ritz, Crillon, or George V.

May 1st, 2002, 09:18 AM
s

don,

Here are the 4-stars I've seen prasied/recommended most often on this forum:

Relais Christine 6th
Jeu de Paume 4th
Pavilion de la Reine 3d
d'Aubusson 6th
le Tourville 7th

Personally, I didn't care for le Tourville (see the Rants & Raves). I was originally booked at the Balzac (8th), and I was sorry I changed.

If your sister likes crowds & action, recommend left bank. If she prefers quiet, recommend right.

Sorry I can't help more. Try doing a text search on those hotels.

s

May 1st, 2002, 09:52 AM
Christina

I'm sure many people would recommend the George V, Crillon, Bristol, Meurice, Ritz, Vendome, Prince de Galles, Plaza Athenee and Vernet as the top list (I'm probably leaving one out), and each has its devotees.

I will give you a complete list for Left Bank to choose from as there really aren't very many 4-star hotels there:

6th arr.
D'Aubusson, Bel Ami, BW Manoir de St Germain des Pres, H de Buci, Littre, Lutetia, Luxembourg Parc (a new one), Relais Christina, Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris, Relais St-Germain, St-Gregoire, Victoria Palace, Villa St-Germain des Pres
In addition, there is only one 4L on Left Bank: L'Hotel

5th arr.
Melia Colbert
Relais St-Jacques
Rives de Notre Dame

7th arr.
Bourgogne et Montana
Montalembert
Pont Royal
Tourville

There are also a few in 14-15, like Hilton, Meridien and Sofitel, but don't think those are the idea.

May 1st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Gaston

If your sister wants a large Hotel, you can choose any of those previously mentioned. If your sister would prefer a lovely boutique hotel (with a four star rating), one of the nicest for a couple in their early fifties would be the Relais Christine.

May 1st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Gayle

I think first your sister has to figure out if she's more inclined to the Left or Right Bank...check other posts on this subject.

I LOVE The Bristol.
Over the years we have stayed here many times, the most recent a year ago. The location is wonderful, right on Fauborg St. Honore. Though this street has many high end (prohibitive) couture stores, it also has lovely smaller shops, including the most wonderful glove shop I have ever seen.

Proximity to lots of great sites all walkable including cafes and boutiques. The restaurant just earned it's third star and that said, in the spring/summer (weather permitting) the garden is glorious for lunch.

Also, I must comment on the service. Every evening after dinner we would return to the hotel, retire to the lobby bar and our drinks were immediately brought over (once they learned our preferences). The staff are incredible.

The rooms at The Bristol vary in size and decor. Most are very spacious with the biggest closets I have ever seen. But the best...the bathrooms. Huge white marble bathrooms with of course separate W.C, and shower as well as big, deep tub, double sinks and loads of fluffy towels.

I love the neighbourhood feel of where The Bristol is located. It's also close enough to walk over to the boutiques on Georges V and one of my favorite little streets Rue Francois.

Bonne journee.

Oct 24th, 2002, 09:43 AM
lynlor

Michelin rates le tourvile a 2 star hotel. I have stayed there and I agree. How the French rating system ever gave this hotel 4 stars I will never know. Maybe the owner knows someone in France that rates hotels.

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Jim P

For a more enlightened response on our part you need to provide us w/ more info. Such as budget range, experience with Paris, personal preference re restaurants, activities etc.

Jun 8th, 2004, 02:36 AM

topping
Jun 8th, 2004, 03:28 AM

I think there are a couple of "problems" with your advice requirement from the sister.
First, the definition of "nicest" can vary and may, or may not, also include the area around the hotel as well as the amenities offered.
Second, I wouldn't even begin to get into recommending the Left Bank or the Right Bank since that has nothing necessarily to do with the primary issue here..recommending the "nicest." All of a sudden you get yourself into TWO recommendations..forget it.

Give her the list that people have given you and let HER decide. If you make the decision FOR her AND it turns out she ends up not liking the place then guess WHO will be sent on the guilt trip? Fine, if that's what you're into but do yourself a favor and opt out of that possibility.
Jun 8th, 2004, 03:40 AM

I hope the sister has gone and returned by now. Giving her the list at this late date won't be much use.