Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 or 5 star hotel near the university sorbonne 4?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a full service hotel near the University Sorbonne 4. It seems there are only 3 star hotels in this area. I have looked at the following: Select Hotel, Hotel Luxembourg Parc, Hotel des Grands Hommes. These hotels seem nice, but I was wondering if I had missed a hotel that might have 4 or 5 star services (and prices). Any suggestions? Does one of the hotels I have listed stand out?

Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM

What exactly are you looking for when you say "4 or 5 star services"? I have stayed and the Hotel Luxembourg Parc and it is very nice (or maybe I am misreading your question and the 4-5 star hotels you found are those you list). In any case, it is a very nice hotel. Smallish rooms but nicely done, nice bathrooms, good service, well done sitting area on the ground floor.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at the Hotel Luxembourg Parc 4 years ago and it was nice. My daughter is studying at the Sorbonne and during the day she will be in class, so I thought it would be nice to have a hotel that would be comfortable to hang out in when I am tired of touring. I can't seem to find one near the school. The hotels I listed I believe are considered 3 stars. They seem nice but not sure it is a place to hang out in. I am also looking at Hotel d'Aubusson which is listed as a 4 star.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM

The K&K Cayre might suit your needs. I've used it for clients who wanted what you seem to be asking for:

http://www.kkhotels.com/index.php?id=172&L=3
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are no 5 star hotels in France.

And stars don't really guarantee quality. Star level indicates the property's specific amenities, not how nice the place is.

A 2 star might be better quality than some 4 stars - but it just has fewer counted amenities.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Not too far from the Sorbonne is Hotel L'Abbaye. It is a very nice hotel. My sister usually stays here and she likes it a lot. She spent her honeymoon at the Crillon. She is fussy about hotels.

http://www.hotelabbayeparis.com/

Thin
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 04:51 AM

We've stayed many times at Hotel d'Abusson. The hotel is small, charming, and has a wonderful jazz trio that plays in the downstairs bar a couple of nights a week. The location is fantastic for exploring Paris. It's within a few block of the Latin Quarter, within walking distance of Notre Dame, and, in the opposite direction, very close to the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay. The neighborhood itself ( especially rue Andre des Artes) has lots of cool shopping and tiny restaurants that would even appeal to your daughter!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM

I can second Thin's recommendation on the L'Abbaye based on experience of very discerning friends who have stayed there frequently over the last 20+ years.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM

The Madison and Relais Christine might suit. And the d' Aubusson is great, ask for a superior room to have more space.

La Villa on Rue Jacob is another 4 star.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I used to stay at Relais Christine, but switched over to Hotel d'Aubusson ( virtually same neighborhood) because Relais Christine kept booking us into smaller rooms for the same price as larger and better quality ones. When we'd ask to switch, they'd often insist that the hotel was full. It got to be a bit of a game, and one we didn't feel like playing anymore.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
tod

I'd go for the Madison. I wouldn't even bother with taking the metro from Mabillon - so many buses going down Blvd St Germain, just hop on- then off at Cluny-Sorbonne if you don't feel like walking.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM

There aren't hardly any 4* hotels in the Latin Qtr, although I think there is one or two. The Luxembourg Parc is probably your best bet in terms of proximity. They use the rating 4*L in France instead of 5*, but it's the same thing, and they exist.

I don't think there are any in the Latin Qtr, though. L'Hotel in the 6th is one, I believe. The Rives de Notre Dame and the Melia Colbert are the only 4* hotels I know in the 5th arr, they are down near the Seine. The Melia Colbert is at 7, rue de l'hotel Colbert.

There are probably around 6 4* hotels in St Germain, but the only 4*L is l'Hotel. http://www.l-hotel.com/
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM

We've really liked the Madison. Ask for a corner room facing the boulevard (no, no noise) for extra space.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM

BTW, I believe France did introduce the 5* rating just a month or two ago, but no hotel list data I see has it updated yet to include that (like the tourist office). I presume it's about the same as the 4*L, but there are 13 of them (I know Sofitel has one).

However, I don't believe there is any difference in "service" requirements for a 4* and 4*L hotel, the differences are more like the number of suites, some minor size requirements of the rooms and things like that. There aren't hardly any service requirements in the French star rating system, and the few that exist are the same for 4* and 4*L, I believe (like having to serve breakfat in the rooms, the ability to have room service, and at least two foreign languages spoken at the reception desk).
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM

FYI, I found the list of the new 5* hotels in Paris, as of Jan 2010:

Sofitel La Defense
Champs-Elysees Plaza
Marriott Champs-Elysees
Fouquets Barriere
Plaza Athenee
Four Seasons George V
the Ritz
Park Hyatt Paris Vendome
Renaissance Paris Vendome
the Meurice
Hotel de Sers
Hotel Square

that's 13 of them. NOne are on the Left Bank.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I booked a room at the Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg 4, rue de Vaugirard 75006 you might want to check it out. Though I haven't stayed there before it looks amazing and just did a renovation.

Anyone have advice of good restaurants, cafes and bakeries in that area?