Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to change antecipate my Smart fare ticket of Trenitalia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Italy in two weeks and I asked to an Italian friend to buy me some tickets from Trenitalia website (since they rarely accept international cards).
Unfortunetly, I send him the wrong date and he bought my tickets from Venice to Budapest for one day later than I expected. I called Trenitalia and they told me that there was no way that I could change the dates of my tickets. Then my Italian friend called and the guy said that I could do it in an Italian train station.
So, I would like to know if someone have ever done that and if it is true that I can change the date to one day earlier even for a SMART fare ticket from trenitalia.

Thanks,
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I suspect you can change the tickets perhaps but then have to pay the full fare?
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

The person told my friend that I do not have to pay anything.
I am in doubt and if it does not work I will stay in venice one more day.
Well, I do not mind to pay 20 euros more for my ticket if at least I can change the date.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure you can exchange that ticket. Smart fares are advance purchase 7-14 days subject to availability.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Then my Italian friend called and the guy said that I could do it in an Italian train station.>

Then simply Express Mail him/her the tickets and have him/her take them to the station and change them - simple.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Well, it is simple if you live in Europe which it is not my case. Besides, I need to know when I will be traveling to Budapest because I would like to make a hotel reservation.
I know the rules about a Smart fare Trenitalia. However, I would like to know if anyone have ever had to change the day of his trip and could do it even with a smart fare ticket from trenitalia without a problem.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Yes, on trenitalia site, one change of date is allowed on smart fare ticket, I did it( change the date to one day later) for my ticket(30% off one) from Genoa to Rome several days ago.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM

nevesdeb on Feb 17, 10 at 4:58pm
Well, it is simple if you live in Europe which it is not my case. Besides, I need to know when I will be traveling to Budapest because I would like to make a hotel reservation.
I know the rules about a Smart fare Trenitalia. However, I would like to know if anyone have ever had to change the day of his trip and could do it even with a smart fare ticket from trenitalia without a problem.>

Well in all due respects i must be a dunce - why again can you not Express Mail your ticket (or e-mail if an e-ticket) to your friend and have him do it pronto - i assume changing a ticket like JudyC did is subject to seats in that class remaining on the train you want to change too.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
JudyC did not change a Smart fare. She changed a ticket from Genoa to Rome. Smart fares are special prices for international travel.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Sorry about the mixed-up, I thought the smart fares were those discount ones purchased online.