3 Star vs. 4 Star Hotels- Main Differences

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What in your opinion are the main differences in a 3 star or 4 star hotel? A 4 star is about $50 more per night on average, but in general can we expect decent accomodations at a 3 star in Denmark and Switzerland?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM

msuguy78,

I can only speak about Switzerland, but, yes, you can expect more than decent accommodations at a 3-star. Remember that the star ratings indicate levels of service/facilities, not cleanliness or coziness. So what you shouldn't expect at a three-star is: room service, laundry service, concierge service, business services, etc.

s
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I have stayed in countless 3 stars that were as nice or nicer than many 4 stars I've stayed in. Things like room service or full service restaurant in the hotel mean nothing to me, and those are things that can affect the rating. I'd never pay an additional $50 just because it has one more star. You really need to rely on pictures, reviews, and personal recommendations much more than the star ratings.

But the bottom line, I find 3 stars for the most part to be more than "decent" accomodations.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, stars relate to amenities, and there are probably 3-star hotels that you would consider "nicer" than the 4-star hotel next door. However, amenities to some may be requirements to others. For example, if you can't handle lots of stairs, you'll need a hotel with an elevator. Think about your needs, wants and budget before comparing the number of stars.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:11 PM

It depends on which country the hotels are in--different countries have different rating systems.

In Italy, a hotel can never be more than a one-star if its reception area is accessed through a different entrance than the guest rooms. It wouldn't matter whether the hotel was the best in the world in every other feature or service that you could possible think of--it would never be more than a one star.

So star ratings do not tell the entire tale. We've stayed in no star pensions and two star hotels that were excellent. Though, generally, yes, the more stars the more services and features.