4 days at Lake Como - any must do's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, with our two daughters aged 12 and 14, have 4 full days at Sala Comacina on Lake Como in late June. We are hoping to have a very relaxing time absorbing sights and culture and have NOTHING planned for our stay (this is our time before the onslaught of doing Switzerland, Paris and London). We will have a car. Are there any MUST SEE sights while we are here?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:58 PM

I don't know where Sala Comancina is, but I stayed in Varenna recently for four nights (I would have enjoyed staying longer), taking ferries around the lake. I recommend you take the house tour of the Villa Balbianello at Lenno. Also, the gardens at Villa Carlotta. Click on my screen name and look for the post that starts with Trains, Planes, and Automobiles to read my trip report.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:05 AM
kdcwood

I checked on ViaMichelin for the location of Sala Comacina and it's on the western side of the lake, a bit south of Tremezzo. Our family based furthern north, also on the western side, for a week in April 2005. Our daughter was 11 at the time and really enjoyed our time on Lake Como.

I definitely agree with luvtotravel's recommendation of the Villa Carlotta, which is in Tremezzo. You will also find travel on the lake by boat very easy. Take the ferry across to Bellagio and you'll enjoy this as well. (It would be a LONG drive all the way around to Bellagio.)

I've got some photos from our week on Lake Como posted here and hopefully this will give you some ideas:

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3582

You might also be interested in my blog (trip report) from our week: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000818.html

Kathy

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:32 AM

The Villa Monastero gardens in Varenna are lovely, and the views of the lake from there are spectacular.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:43 AM

Hi, kdcwood...

LOVED your photos.

I also LOVED Lake Como. Wish I could get there for weekends!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I really think it is unfortunate that so many people seem to go to that portion of Lake Como and omit Menaggio entirely. I agree that it isn't as picturesque as Varenna or Bellagio. But it has a wonderful (IMO) promenade along the lakefront and if you go when all the roses are in bloom it can be a very nice walk.

Of course, there are so many things to see and places to visit that it is hard to go wrong no matter what you do. I think "having nothing planned" isn't such a bad idea (and then taking your time to do a few things really well) and it could end up being the most relaxing part of the entire trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Agree with all the other posts with their suggestions. I decided anywhere in Lake Como was gorgeous!! Probably one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited. I hope the weather is kind to you. Definately see Villa Balbianello - my personal favourite.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I agree with all that's been said above. 4 full days is a nice amount of time to allot to the area. You should do fine. Since you're staying a bit south of the best part of the lake to navigate by boat, I'd suggest driving to Menaggio, parking by the boat stop and taking the boat to Bellagio and Varenna from there. In Bellagio you can walk to Villa Melzi and it's lovely gardens, shop in the town, stop by the Villa Serbeloni for a drink on their grounds--total elegance for the girls, it's where Elizabeth Taylor stayed when she was on Lake Como. Then take the boats to Varenna where you can tour the town and see the Villa Cipresi and the Villa Monestero. Return to Menaggio and walk about the town, stop for a snack at the Bar Centrale where all the local kids hang out and pick up your car at the ferry stop to drive back to Sala Comacina.
You should plan one day around lunch or dinner at Isola Comacina. it's around 50 euros per person but the meal of a lifetime. Search this site for comacina and you should find a couple of trip reports or posts that explain the beautiful, lengthy, fun meal. You're gonna love Lake Como.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM

If you are going there to relax before the onslaught of doing the rest of Europe, why are you burdening youself with "MUST SEES"?

You'll be relieved to know that there aren't any. The lake is there to be enjoyed. The view from Bellagio is justly famous, but you're chances of missing it over a 4-day stay are non-existent.

Lay around, wander around, ferry around, and throw away that guidebook.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback. Sounds like my plan to "have no plan" was a good one. Counting the days until we leave!!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM

PRLCH - Can you say whether you'll be on Lake Como for June 24th? There is a festival on the island that day.

VS
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:19 AM

FYI, there's a festival of swing music in the town of Como the last weekend in June, with the Royal Crown Revue playing Sunday night.

That Sunday night is also the Festival of the Lake in Lecco (other side of the lake), with music and fireworks.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Sorry we will be missing the festival - we only arrive on Monday 26th late in the day.