Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake como -- what to see, where to say, where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and myself are planning to visit Lake Como, Italy with our 3 children (6, 8, 10 yr.) for 3-4 days in June of this upcoming year. I would love to hear from those who have visited there any recommendations on food, accomodations, things to do, preferred towns, etc. Thank you!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM

Lake Como is my favourite place in the whole world.....and this is one of my favourite places on it...

http://www.lakecomoapartment.com

the website has lots of area info...
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM

Hang on. I'm just starting to work on a trip report of the 4 days we spent on Lake Como this September/October. I'll start posting it asap for you. If you click on my name, you should also be able to find on my profile another post I did a couple of years ago about Lake Como. You'll love it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM

Visit Varena, Belaggio, Villa Carlota.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can recommend these apartments in Bellagio:

http://www.residencelalimonera.com/
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

Click on my name to find my recent trip report named NAVIGATING IN NORTH ITALY. The 3rd week was all in Bellagio and and has some places to eat as well. Where you stay depends on if you have a car or not. You do not want a car in Bellagio.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM

I would also suggest doing a search, as this topic has generated reams of information; in particular, for example, this excellent thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-dining.cfm

My own trip report from 2007 also has some general tips and info on dining in the region:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-much-else.cfm
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I really appreciate it. It is nice to know that there are so many activities for KIDS there! I wish we were staying longer!
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM

A great hotel for families is Hotel Aurora in Lezzeno, a little south of Bellagio. You would probably need 2 rooms, although I think they have a couple of apartments for rent as well that might be more sizable. The price per room is reasonable. The focus of the Aurora, and what makes it so great for families, is water sports--they have a large lakeside deck, a swimming platform off the dock, plenty of watersports (free kayaking, plus wave boarding, speed boating, swimming), and a nice family vibe. Very helpful staff. Their restaurant is decent, open-air (with a roof), and welcoming, right on the lake. Easy access by bus to Bellagio, and by ferry (though the ferry dock at Lezzeno is serviced only a couple of times a day) to all points on the lake. The only drawback is that Lezzeno isn't much of a village--it's strung along the lakeside so there's not much in the way of a town to explore. But because it is so easy to get to other towns by public transportation, I don't think that's much of a problem. Check it out!
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM

DH & I stayed in Bellagio in September. We purchased mid-lake passes to ride the ferries for the day, unlimited, which sail between Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio, Cadenabbia & Tremezzo. It's wonderful to approach these towns from the water & spend time exploring these charming, picturesque places! Your whole family may enjoy this experience!

The fare for the mid-lake day pass (3 legs) were €11 for an adult & €6 for a child.

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_tar.html

We visited Varenna & Menaggio in one day. We spent another morning visiting Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo. If you would like more details of our stay in Bellagio, you can click on my name to find my recent Italy trip report.

Good luck with your planning!

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM

I agree with Jean and can thoroughly recommend the moderately priced La Limonera. Bellagio was just lovely.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM

For a first trip to Lake Como, I agree Bellagio. I know where La Limonera is and you can't find a better apartment location.
Book early as the place is small and gets full before you know it.

Buy the day passes for the boat (we bought 6 day passes last time ).

Make sure that you walk to Pescallo, a nearby village. Only about a mile away.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the great advice. We have booked Hotel Aurora in Lezzeno per the advice of aprillilacs. Now we can't wait until June!!