35 minute connection time at MUC?

Sep 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

35 minute connection time at MUC?

Our Lufthansa flights from LAX to MUC to VCE have a 35 minute connection time in Munich. The Lufthansa ticket agent assured me there is no problem, that all you have to do is go through passport control, not security again. Does this sound right?
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
J62

Last time I went through Munich (Jan 07) I connected on a domestic flight within Germany.

Plane from US arrived late, so 75min layover was cut to 20min.

Gate agent met me at the airport, we sprinted through the bowels of MUC, through passport control, we DID have to go through security again, and sprinted to the gate. I made the flight, but a travelling colleague who took a left turn instead of a right turn did not.

Based on my experience, no, what you are saying does not sound right.
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:49 AM

It is unlikely that you could do this. We flew through Munich just two weeks ago. The plane touched down at 7:50 AM. We got through passport control and security and made it to the gate for our next flight at 8:30. A total of 40 minutes. We would have missed our flight if if we had only 35 minutes. We also experienced short lines at passport control and no waiting at security so this is probably best case. I would check on when the next flight to VCE is in case you miss this one.
Sep 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I've connected through Munich a number of times--some of those with a little less than an hour. That said, for an upcoming trip I had the option of a 40-minute connection and declined it in favor of something longer. That was just a little too tight for my comfort level.

The last time through, from Chicago to Nice (non-Schengen to Schengen, like LAX-VCE), we did have to go through a security checkpoint as well as immigration. There was no line at either, but it still took a bit of time.
Sep 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I posted a similar question on the airline forum and was directed to this thread. UA has a 75 minute connection time in Munich for a flight from the US going on to VCE. From reading this thread, its seems not optimal, but possible? Thanks
Sep 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM

It is doable - we had a 90 minute layover and made it with 15 minutes to spare. Everything would have to go very well.
Sep 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I wouldn't have a problem booking a 75-minute UA-LH connection in Munich. We had one last year that was 55 minutes (aforementioned, Chicago-Nice). Flight from Chicago was right on time, and we were standing at our gate to Nice 30 minutes before departure--that was after security, immigration, ATM and restroom stop. Are there other flights to Venice after yours, just in case?
Sep 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I've looked at Lufthansa's map of the Munich airport, and it appears that the gates would be two floors apart, but a "simple" elevator ride. Our return flight from Naples has over an hour layover, which is better, and is operated by Air Dolomiti, so although same terminal not as close to the Lufthansa gates. I guess I'll go with, "que sera, sera" and we'll make it to Venice either on time or eventually (three are two later flights that afternoon/evening).
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM

May 2006 we connected via Munich to Rome with 50 minutes...which was reduced to about 35 minutes when our flight was delayed. We made it but our luggage didn't. Luckily, Lufthansa was able to put it on a flight 3 hours later. I would pack a few extra things in your carry on bags just in case.

Sep 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Forget it. Everything would have to run like clockwork...and it's doubtful that that will be the case.
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Last summer I flew CLT to MUC and then had one hour to make an Air Dolomiti flight to Milan. We were at the gate with 40 minutes to spare. In theory, the 35 minute connection can work, but a great deal of nail-biting will be involved, and another option might be better.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yikes, good luck with that one! Last year after Oktoberfest, we barely made our flight from Munich to Budapest because the line was so long to check-in for our flight. And it's a big airport, so once we were checked-in, a lovely decathlon ensued as we ran to our gate.

I'd try and find out which gate your arriving into, and which you're going out of from the attendants on board before you land. And then look for a terminal/gate map of MUC in the in-flight magazine (if they post one). That's saved me before at DFW here.

I think it's going to be tight to say the least though. Good luck!
Sep 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Having barely made a 90-minute connecting flight in Munich twice last year, I'd say you'll need a miracle.
Sep 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Even if your plane lands early or exactly on time, it normally takes ~20 mins. or so to unload the people from a plane. I don't see how a 35 minute window could work.
Sep 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Weekender

Last year I did the reverse. Air Dolomiti flight from VCE connecting to UAL flight in MUC. We parked at remote site and were bused to main terminal. Never would have made a short connection like yours.

Nov 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Well, I no longer have to worry about the tight connection in Munich. Lufthansa changed our flights - we are now flying through Frankfurt with a two hour connection time. Seems this is reasonable. And we will get into Venice about 45 minutes earlier than the prior schedule.

Our return out of Naples also changed - no more 8 am flight. We now leave at noon, so a little more time to enjoy Naples (we are getting there the evening before from Sorrento). Most unusual to have favorable schedule changes!
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM

QA recipe for disaster. It's possible (esp if your incoming flight is early) that you MIGHT make it - but chances are very slim. (We had a 90 minute connection, landed 15 minutes late - and just made it.)

And even if you make the chance of your luggage getting their is practically nil.

I would switch to the next flight to Venice.