30 minute transit time at Vienna

Old Nov 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 minute transit time at Vienna

Hi all,

I'll be traveling from Munich to Milan via Air Berlin on Dec 23. This isn't a direct flight and I'll be required to transit at Vienna, but the big problem is there is only 30 minutes connection time! I'm so concerned that I'll not be able to catch my connecting flight given that limited time..

I've checked with Air Berlin, they only said that you would most likely be fine if things go right, but most likely is not what i wanted to hear! I wanted to hear yes you'll be able to make it!

Has anyone transited at Vienna? Or taken the flight as me? How's your experience like?
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM

No one can tell you if you'll be able to make it or not for sure......sounds really tight.
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM

I would never do any connectin as little as 30 minutes I'm surprised it's a legal connection. Isn't there a later fight you can take instead?
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Munich-Vienna is just a short hop of appr. 40 min in the air which usually gets calculated with a much longer time.
So it should not be a problem to get from one gate to another gate in 30 minutes.
I'd be slightly less optimistic that checked luggage made it in that time.
Nevertheless, travelling from Munich to Milan via Vienna is a bit odd as there are many non-stop flights with Lufthansa. I assume that even the train wouldn't take that much longer than that Air Berlin flight via Vienna.
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Vienna airport is small ..Our flight from Venice to Dubrovnik was also via Vienna..

We had only 30 minutes to change plane and we had to go through security in order to take our flight to Dubrovnik..We actually had few minutes to spare even after going through security.
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

the con to this ticket is that it's non-refundable, so i gotta hop on the plane no matter what. there is another flight at 6am on the next day, but then i wouldn't want to be sleeping at the airport overnight!

Cowboy1968 - I've checked on the website of Lufthansa, you wouldn't believe how much they're selling the tickets for, almost 5 times as much as Air Berlin!

kismetchimera - I'm a bit relieved after reading your response. I'm a Canadian passport holder! not sure if it'll take me more time to get through securities
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM

amyola I was concerned also when I found out that I had only 30 minutes to change plane in Vienna until a poster told me not too worry because the airport was small and I would have been able to make it.
When you land just walk very fast toward your gate..I walked so fast I felt as I was leaping in the air..
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM

I definetely believe that Lufthansa charges that much - esp. when it's a one-way trip.

I assume that you don't have to go through security in VIE as it is an intra-Schengen flight connection, other than kismet's who connected to Dubrovnik. But that assumption needs confirmation.

If you have already entered Germany or any other Schengen country prior to that flight to Milan, you will have no passport control, neither in Munich, nor Vienna, nor Milan.

Just security when you enter Munich airport from landside, and maybe or maybe not in Vienna. IF there is a security checkpoint, your nationality does not matter. All go through same procedure.

It's a slightly different scenario when you fly Canada-Munich-Vienna- Milan with passport control and security checkpoint in Munich. After that you would travel onwards to Milan as if on domestic flights, i.e. no further passport controls.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM

If using Air Berlin - it is possible you fly one or both lefs of your proposed journey with Fly Niki - a co operating airline with Air Berlin . Air Berlin owns 49 % of Fky Niki .
Fly Niki probablyis the # 2 user of the Vienna Airport and well known here with fast connecting schedules.

Vienna Airport is very compact with gates relatively close and within easy walking distance .
Itis known for quick connection times as little as 30 minutes not unusual.

No passport control at Vienna as you are already in the Schengen zone, your onward boarding card most probably given at original check- in for your onward flight.
Thus, you just have the short walk and a security check near to your gate prior to boarding .
Doable in 30 minutes -

But note that the 23rd a friday will be a major travel day - early getaway for holidays - major celebration here is on the 24th Christmas Eve.

You can have a look to the configuration of Vienna Airport

www.viennaairport.at

most probably your arrival and departures in " B" or "C " areas
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Don't worry!

You will definitly make it. Even if your incoming flight is late, your connecting flight will wait for you.

Your connection is typical for Air Berlin policy. They use hubs to collect guest from different destinations.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!

I hope I'll be able to make it to the connecting flight!