3 days to spare

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Karen

3 days to spare

After our tour(which starts and ends in London) we added 3 dys to our departure date. We would like some suggestions on a 3 days excursion from London (via air our train) that would be a good deal and an interesting place to visit. Thank you all.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:21 AM
elvira

Via train: Bath, Salisbury, Longleat; Cornish coast

Via air: Dublin; Edinburgh; Belfast

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Vita

Karen, Where are you going on your tour?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:43 AM
karen

Our tour Starts in London, goes to Amsterdam, Berlin, Minsk, Poland, Russia, Finland Stockhom Denmark

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
jenviolin

Barcelona.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Christina

That's a pretty extensive trip to begin with, so I would probably add on something simple like Scotland, espec. Edinburgh, as an easy end point. You can get there easily by train, don't have to fly, although maybe there are some cheap flights nowadays that would save a little time. I don't know about a good deal, but since it's not that far, it wouldn't cost that much. I presume you must fly out of London? If so, I wouldn't go too far away.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Maggie

I would second Barcelona - my favourite city.
Regards
Maggie.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Bob

If you are like us you are going to be ready to get home at the end of your tour...fun trip, but ready to head home.

To keep things simple for those extra 3 days I would stay in England and avoid more plane hassle. Simply head over to the Lakes District for some relaxing times or the Cotswolds area. Both scenic and both places you will want to see eventually.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:04 PM
veeolette

Paris - a 3 hour train ride away! Or just see London.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Ani

York!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Mavis

You don't say when you are going but if it is in garden season, Kent and East Sussex are beatuiful from May to September. (There are tons of things to see outside that time, but the gardens are at their best then.) Train travel to the area is easy and if you don't want to rent a car while you are there you can work out an itinerary based on buses. Sevenoaks is a good base, handy to places like Knole (a room for every day of the week), Ightham Mote, Chartwell and Emmetts. A bit further afield is Hever, Scotney Castle, Sissinghurst, Batemans, Rye, Leeds, Canterbury and Dover. If you do a search on this site you'll probably get some good recommendations for B&Bs, we always stay in self-catering cottages, which are great but depending on what time of year you are going may be difficult to book for only 3 days.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:50 AM
janis

My three recommendations would be Kent, the New Forest, or York.

Each could be done by car or by train/local transport. The New Forest and Kent would be easier if you rented a car, though.

York and the surrounding area is great and you do not need a car - but a car helps if you want to see the N Yorkshire Moors, Robin Hoods Bay, etc. All of the sites in York itself are walking distance from each other. Outside of town you can visit Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal, Thirsk (James Herriot's Darrowby), and the coast and Moors. If you don't want a car - ther Tourist Information Center in the city center offers several day and 1/2 day tours of the surrounding areas.

Mavis pretty much covered Kent/East Sussex . . .

The New Forest is absolutely lovely plus you can visit Beaulieu, Bucklars Hard, Salisbury/Stonehenge, the Hampshire and Dorset coasts including Lyme Regis, and even ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Karen

Let me start by saying you are all wonderful. I think this site is great. I have read some of the comments the regulars make and I find you all delightful you banter back and forth like a large family and i'm not sure you know how very welcome you make people feel to join the family. Thank you. To Maggie and jenviolin we would love to go to Barcelona do you have any suggestions for good deals. We are leaving on our trip august 1 2002 and it is our 3rd whirlwind tour so we are prepared. Regards

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Kay

I would definitely go to Paris on the train.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Art

Wow, sounds like you have about an 8 week literary planned. I would use the 3 days just to get to see London better. There also are several day trips that you could take from London, but you could easily spend the 3 days there.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:49 AM
David White

Karen,

Like some other folks who've answered, I suspect you will be fairly well exhausted after your multi-stop tour of northern Europe. After that type of excursion, I'd opt for either:

--an upscale, relaxing hotel in central London. Take some time, walk around London and see sights that you may have glossed over on your organized tour (assuming it includes London, not just stops and starts there). Maybe go to the theater, etc.

--locate a quiet, country house hotel in the greater London area where you can relax, maybe tour some countryside, etc. A "country house hotel" can vary, but generally it connotes an upscale hotel located in a rural or semi-rural area.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com