3 days in Tuscany

Jun 24th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

3 days in Tuscany

My husband and I are traveling to London in September and wish to visit Florence/Pisa/Lucca on the side. Do you recommend for us to visit during the week or do we need a weekend? It'll be our first time. Thanks for your suggestions!
Jun 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Midweek is probably better - for flights and for crowds. You can fly into Pisa, take the local train to the central station, leave your bags (if any) at the left-baggage service, walk through the old town to the Field of Miracles with the cathedral and the leaning tower, and walk back to catch a train to Lucca (takes about 20 to 25 minutes).

From Lucca to Florence (Firenze S.M.N. = Santa Maria Novella station) it takes about 1:20 hr or so.

From Florence to Pisa airport the trains take 1:28.

These are regional trains, no reservations, often 2nd class only - they're nice but not of the high-speed topnotch caliber like the EuroStar that link the bigger cities.

You can also fly into Florence airport, of course, it's a bit closer to the city.

Check www.skyscanner.net for cheap flights and realize that there are alternate airports involved that may be further out etc.

WK
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comment. I found a very good fare on Ryan Air from London to Pisa. I plan to buy a Single Country RailEurope pass saver so I can easily take the train between these cities.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Look at the operating hours for any church or musuem you wish to visit in Florence. Lots are closed the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month, or the 1st, 3rd and 5th Mondays of the month; also, lots of Monday closures.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi F,

>I plan to buy a Single Country RailEurope pass saver so I can easily take the train between these cities. <

Highly not recommended.

Pisa to Lucca is only 2.5E
Pisa to Florence is only 10E.

See www.trenitalia.com for schedules and prices.

Buy your tickets at the station.

Jun 26th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I'd echo the previous messager. Just back from trip from UK to Pisa/Lucca/Genoa. Took Thomsonfly from Coventry (nr Birmingham) to Pisa. Train from Pisa aeroporto to Pisa centrale (5-10 mins) Train from Pisa to Lucca abt 20 mins. Train fares in both cases were minimal. Not worth getting a pass.
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughts. I will take the weekday suggestions and forgo the railpass. I plan to travel from London to PSA on Monday and roam around Pisa and spend 2 nights in Florence. Then head down to Lucca on Wednesday and spend the night there and leave from PSA early Thursday.