3 days in Seville

Feb 15th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

3 days in Seville

My wife and I will be in Seville Apr16-18, before doing a 9 day Ciclismo tour of Andalusia. Could I get some recommendations on accommodations as well as what we should not miss? This is our first visit to Spain
Feb 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM

You'll easily read about all the main highlights, but a small place I really enjoyed was The Casa de Pilatos.
I rented an apartment from
www.embrujodesevilla.com
and could not have been happier.
If like me you have not seen major Roman ruins, the Archaeological Museum will be very impressive.
I did not enjoy the Cathedral, so if you are not interested in that kind of thing don't feel bad for skipping it.
Restaurant names escape me now but dishes to look for include Gambas (the sweetest little shrimp ever, and I'm from the lowcountry), a potato salad with tuna, garbanzos and spinach--and of course the pork in all forms.
Make sure you look up any ferias that may be occurring.
Feb 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Well, I think Seville's Cathedral (3rd largest of the christianity, after St Paul in London and St Peter in Rome) is worth the visit. Later on, you can say you don't like it and it's fine. But if you go Sevilla and skip the cathedral is like going to Rome and not visiting st Peter's.
Feb 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Go to a flamenco show. We loved the one at Los Gallos, but if you do a search here you'll find lots of others as well.
Feb 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM

We loved staying at Las Casas de la Juderia. It is a series of houses with beautiful courtyards with fountains. It is walking distance to the attractions in Seville.

I would visit the cathedral, Alcázar ( a Moorish fortress and palace), and the stunning Plaza de España. I wish my pictures were scanned so you could see the beautiful colors of these tiles that encompass the entire plaza. It is beautiful! I don't have my notes in front of me but those come to mind first.

Get lost on the streets and find a great outdoor cafe and take in a flamenco show at night. And don't bother eating early as the locals don't begin until 10 at the earliest.

Seville was the beginning point of our Andalucia trip, too.
Feb 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM

ben-- it would be better if you include a price range for hotel accomodations. I recommend La Taverna del Alabardero and Hosteria del Laurel per personal experience, hopefully it is within the budget you are looking for.

As far as the Cathedral, I am with Kenderina on this one. I am not sure what "kind of thing" yorkshire has in mind when he refers to the Cathedral, but its main altarpiece is considered the largest in the Christian world and it is Christopher Columbus burial place. Not too shabby to be dismissed so so succinctly.... or maybe yprkshire missed both.....
Feb 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Note I said "if you are not interested in that kind of thing"--and this is obviously a place for subjective opinions.
It was dark, dreary, and overcrowded to me--probably cursed by the people who died in the pursuit of the gold and silver that decorate it.
I have been to cathedrals elsewhere that I found beautiful and inspirational. As always, mileage varies.
Feb 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Seville is wonderful and now one of my favorite cities since our visit in May of last year. We stayed in Arfe apartment number 2 rented through Sevilla5 for 60 Euros per night. A small comfortable one bedroom apartment near the Cathedral, we enjoyed it very much. As for touring, we enjoyed the Cathedral and attended a special mass which was very interesting. We also enjoyed the Alcazar tour, a flamenco show and a tour of the bullfight ring. We also had an interesting tour of the Macarena Basilica (yes the dance originated in this part of the city) to see the Weeping Madonna. But mostly we enjoyed wandering around the city eating and drinking in the many restaurants and cafes. We loved the tapas and cameraderie at La Bodega near the Cathedral as well as all the music and religious parades. You will love it. As they say, "Seville doesn't have ambience, it is ambience".
Feb 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM

The Flamenco Museum may interest you if you like dance or the arts.

http://www.flamencomuseum.com/
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I found a great deal on Hotel Alfonso (Aarp rate on starwood site, less that 1/2 rack rate) at 189 euro per night; well worth it from what I see.
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM

It is a great rate, really ! It's a superb hotel !