3 days in Bavaria

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Bavaria

I have posted on this subject before, but being only 3 weeks away I would like to ensure that we are as ready as can be.....

We will be staying in Mittenwald for 3 days and will be using ONLY public transportation for this stay. We would additionly like to the cities of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberammergau. We obviously wish to see the three famous castles in this area: Neuschwanstein, Linderhoh and Hohenschwangau.

My question is, what would be the best itinerary for this region, given that we only have 3 days and will be staying in Mittenwald. How should we approach Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3 to ensure we cover as much as we possibly can in this short period.

For those of you who have traveled to this fabulous area, please offer any assistance.

Also are there any CAN'T MISS places to eat in this area, be it for lunch or dinner ???

Thank you in advance for your time,

GreekGazoo
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Pick the one day with the clearest weather and use it to go up the Zugspitse by cable car.

Garmisch is not that attractive IMO and Oberammergau is a small town, worthy of a visit.

I have no idea how you'd reach those castles by public transportation...
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Maybe Bavaria Ben or some other transportation smart person can jump in here with transportation help.

Mittenwald is a lovely village. If you were driving from there you would go about 10 miles to Garmish then to Ettal Monastary, Linderhoff, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche and on to Fussen for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. At least that's how they are lined up.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I am thinking there are buses daily or even more often from Mittenwald to Fussen? Do we take train from Mittenwald to Garmisch and Oberammergau or should we take bus?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM

If you took the train to Oberammergau you'd have to change in Murnau. If the bus is more direct I would take that.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM

M'wald-Garmisch: train
M'wald-O'gau: train possible, bus probably more direct
M'Wald-Füssen: Train to Reutte or Vils, Austria (pretty train ride), bus to Füssen possible; direct bus also possible, probably faster.

You can check bus and train schedules at the train website:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Where it says "means of transport", click "more" and you can stipulate buses only (or the types of train you wish to use.) If you use a standard search, you'll get the quickest routing, which will include bus connections if those are best.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:12 AM

You have posted already on this subject, and you were given some good advice. If you had followed it, you might not be still asking questions.

PalenQ made an excellant suggestion that you use the German Rail (Bahn) website to get schedules. Try this link, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. It is a little easier to get to than just bahn.de.

If you were starting over, I would suggest you spend a few nights in a town more centrally located to what you want to see, like Reutte or Oberammergau.

However, Garmisch, Oberammergau, and Linderhof can be seen in a day. Take the train to Garmisch and buses from there to Oberammergau and Linderhof. Linderhof is just around the corner from Oberammergau, but pay attention to the schedule. A €10 pP Werderfels ticket will cover all of your transport for the day.

As for Füssen and the castles, you can't avoid a trip of about 3-1/2 hours from Mittenwald (why I said you should base yourself elsewhere). The 9:36 RB connection out of Mittenwald gets you into Hohenschwangau at 1:10 PM, enough time to see both castles, but it would help to have tickets in advance.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM

I know this is obvious, but don't forget:

You have to turn around and make that return trip back to Mittenwald...
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

I looked at the link provided for train schedules during this time from Mittenwald to Fussen or even to Reutte. There is nothing less than 4:00 train ride. That is unbelievable !!! I would think with Fussen such a touristy place and so many tourists also staying in Garmisch that there would be something shorter than say 4:00.

We have already made our reservations in Mittenwald hotel. Is there no other way getting around this 4:00 + train ride to Fussen from the Mittenwald/Garmisch area ???
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Germany's tallest mountain (Zugspitse) happens to sit right in your way in getting from Mittenwald to Fussen. Train tracks (and roads) have to circumvent it - that's the reason why...
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Those pesky mountains!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM

You might consider amending your hotel reservations if your vacation goals have changed.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM

" looked at the link provided for train schedules during this time from Mittenwald to Fussen or even to Reutte. There is nothing less than 4:00 train ride."

Not True, at least not for the arbitrary day I just checked.

Mittenwald-Füssen: 7:37 am departure takes just under 3 hours; 9:36 am departure takes just over three hours.

You should rent a car for a day or seek out a private driver if you must go see Ludwig's castles from Mittenwald.

Personally, I do not find Ludwig's castles so terribly tour-worthy. Between the Partnachklamm, the Zugspitze, the Fraundorfer Inn, Oberammergau (only 1-2 hours by bus and/or train) and Mittenwald itself, you have plenty on your plate. If you want to stay there, you'll have a wonderful time.

Or stay in Garmisch. The 9606 bus leaves Garmisch at 7:50 and arrives 9:58 in Füssen. Another leaves at 9:55, arrives 12:03.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM

9606 bus schedule Garmisch-Partenkirchen:

http://www.rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/...e/fpl/9606.pdf
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Gathering from the great information provided, it would be best by car. But if not by car our next best option would be to take bus 9606. this would take a little over 2 hours, which is not unreasonable.