Search

Germany - Miscellaneous questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany - Miscellaneous questions

Hi,

I've got a few (but varied) questions and didn't know the best way to post them. I hope my heading will get a good response.

1. I'm confused about the location of the Neuschwanstein Castle. I've read it's in Fussen, Oberammergau and Hohenschwangau. Where is it? Also, sometimes I've read recommendations to see Neuschwanstein with Linderhof and other times with Hohenschwangau. Are they all very close together?

2. Is it possible to see the Eagle's Nest and the Salt Mines in the same day?

3. We're hoping to take the Rhine River cruise from Rudesheim to Koblenz and then take the train back to Frankfurt. If we spend the night in Rudesheim before the cruise, what should we do about our luggage? Should we bring it with us on the cruise? What if we want to get off the boat and look around? Should we take the train back to Rudesheim to pick up our luggage and then get back on the train to Frankfurt?

4. Is there a good way via train to get from Rudesheim to the airport? If yes, then question #3 could be moot because we could switch our nights in Frankfurt & Rudesheim. We could leave our luggage in Rudesheim before getting on the boat and then take the train back to Rudesheim after the cruise to spend the night.

Oh, I know I had more questions, but can't think anymore tonight.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:50 AM

For some useful information about Neuschwanstein, try this site:

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/germany...wig_castle.htm

The castle is located within public transport distance of Oberammergau, Fuessen, and Garmisch; busses, for example, run to the castle from all three of those towns but for may, Fuessen is the jumping-off point.

Linderhof and neuschwanstein visits can easily be combined since they are relatively close to one another.

Often, for the sake of lateral movement, folks will rent a car to see the various castles but it can be done by train from Munich and then local public transport but you'll need more flexibility.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are in the village of Hohenschwangau. The ticket office and trails/roads up to the castles are in the center of the village.

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are on opposite hills with the village between them.

Yes, Linderhof is about a 45-minute drive from Hohenschwangau village. You could visit all three in one day if you have a car and start when the first one opens for visitors.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM

2. Is it possible to see the Eagle's Nest and the Salt Mines in the same day?

Yes, if you are at the Salt Mines first thing in the morning before all the buses show up. Then you have to drive to Obersalzberg, park your car and catch the bus to Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest). It's the only way to get up there. You can also visit the museum at Obersalzberg (Dokumentation Obersalzberg) dedicated to the history of the Third Reich should the view from the Kehlstein be obscured. It makes no sense to go up there unless the weather permits a decent view or you like an exciting bus ride.
Relying on public transportation it will be more difficult to cover both. I believe there may be a bus from the Berchtesgaden railway station to Obersalzberg-Hintereck where you would have to catch the second bus to the Kehlsteinhaus.

3.Is there a good way via train to get from Rudesheim to the airport?

Yes. I know of folks who spent their last night in Rüdesheim before departing from FRA depending on the departure time of your flight.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:45 AM

Just to clarify your first question...

Of the three towns you mention (OA, FU, and HS), Oberammergau is the furthest. Fuessen is really considered the "gateway" to the castles. It is only a few minutes drive away. Hohenschwangau is the actual name of the town, although there isn't much there beyond the castles.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:23 PM

jlaughs

On this map(copy the line from http to .htm and paste into your browser address):
http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacat...20Garmisch.htm
2 is Ettal
3 is Linderhof
4 is Hohenschwangau
5 is Schloss Neuschwanstein
6 is the Wieskirche
7 is Oberammergau

Ken
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM

As the crow flies Garmish is less than 50 miles from Fussen. Ettal Monastary, Schlos Linderhof, Wiesse Kirche, Hohenschwangau and Neuschwansteim are between them. You are int he mountains so roads wind around a little bit but they are all pretty close together. Fussen is the "big town" close to schwangau where H and N castles are.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:39 AM

With an early start, you should have no trouble getting from Ruedesheim to FRA on the morning of your flight; check train schedules at www.bahn.de. Alternatively, leave your bags at your hotel before your cruise - most hotels will keep them for no charge for the day - then hop off the train in Ruedesheim on your way back down to your airport hotel to retrieve your bags.