2nights in Dublin/suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 2 nights in Dublin just before Christmas (staying at the Days Inn Talbot Street--any comments on that?). Any suggestions out there for not-to-miss sights or pubs that feature live Irish music? Any other suggestions for center-city theater (contemporary or experimental?) or other entertainment?
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Well first of all avoid the Guiness storehouse which is just a plain rip off. So the Pubs on Templpe Bar are very toursity and cater as such. If you want more traditioanl Pubs head for Baggot street. Some of the Alley pUbs around Grafton Street are quite good.

If the Tassel club has an event going on you might try it. It is a semi interactive burlesque/potpourri show that is really good. See whats on at the Gaeity for other shows.

Dublin is all about walking from place to place and popping in an out of Pubs. So give it a try.

St Patrick Cathedral is nice.

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Try www.entertainment.ie or ticketmaster.ie for events and also Andrews lane Theatre has a lot of good pplays in a cosy atmosphere (i.e. small). I have seen some good plays here over the years. Days inn talbot st is not my favouroite area at night so be careful or get a taxi home if it is late.

For trad music, Try the Oliver St John Gogherty in Temple bar upstairs and they also are the start of the musical pub tours here. Check it online. This is where I take people when they are visiting me and everyone enjoys it.

Also go Ice Skating outside in Smithfield. Its a a few stops off the Northside Luas (Tram) I do this every year and its fun. O'Donoghues on Merrion street near st stephens green also has trad musicand is a real old fashioned style pub. Off grafton street there are several nice pubs but most do not play music. McDaid on Harry street is a victorian style small pub and nice. Davy Byrnes on S. Anne street is good as well and serves ppub food lunch and dinner. Teh Dubke pub ion Duke street is where the literary pub crawl starts. This is lead by 2 actors and a fun evening. The pubs other than Gogherty are all off grafton street.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Siobhan, do you really think Talbot St is that dodgy? I wouldn't worry too much about it, even though I can't place Day's Inn -- I suppose it is at the Amiens Street end. My advice would be not to wander in the area without local advice, but Talbot St to O'Connell St is fine.

Andrews Lane is indeed an interesting small theatre venue. Even closer are The Abbey Theatre (3 minutes) and The Gate Theatre (5 minutes).

Isn't Davy Byrne's on Duke Street? In any event, I rate it below the other places Siobhan mentioned.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Talbot St is known for being one of the dodgiest streets around the city centre. I've never had a problem but it is definitely sketchy and I've witnessed fights there, arrests and the other week something exploded (although I don't know what it was, could have been an accident). I wouldn't worry too much but I'd definitely keep my wits about me around there and watch my valuables.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Okay, let's get things clear for the OP. I presume from the moniker used that it is an accompanied female, and we have no idea about her age. My opinion that Talbot St is okay, but that she should not wander from it without local advice. The issue that might have most impact on tourists is that there is a drug problem in the north inner city, and that leads to an amount of street crime to finance the habit. It is important to be alert and streetwise -- as it is in any city.

But I am not often in Dublin city centre at night, and I generally know my way around, and what places and situations to avoid.

No advice on the safety or desirability of an area is 100% reliable, and there are no guarantees. It is wise to work with the best probabilities. Cybersue, are you committed on Days Inn, or do you still have booking flexibility? If you have booked and your money is spent, I don't think the risk is enough to justify paying more to stay somewhere else.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Some ideas:

http://www.dublin.world-guides.com/

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I walk or bus through this area most days of the week. I just think is crummy for the money you will pay and think Jury's is a better option in Christchurch or IFSC. Its an inner city area and while O'Connel st is better the side streets can get a bit dodgy at night. I just advise a taxi late at night home. Try a look at www.laterooms.com. for alternatoives. Its just not the best side the city can show to you and its the side streets that concern me more and gardiner st at night. I live in the north of the city and yes we have all the problems most cities do but overall I always found Dublin much safer than many cities I lived in in the U.S. Saying that I am a formwewr NYer and always have my wits about me. Have a fun trip. S
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM

But Christchurch is a dodgy area as well, overrun by drug addicts and dealers. I just have a negative view of that area, with good reason I suppose since I have been randomly assaulted not once but twice around Christchurch, (at the top of Dame St/Lord Edward St which is where the Jurys Inn is more or less). I suppose I was unlucky and most people are unlikely to experience trouble but if I were a tourist I'd want to stay somewhere nicer, around Dublin 2 (near Grafton St/Baggot St) or Dublin 4. I'm aware the prices in those areas are generally much higher which may be why they went for the Day's Inn in the first place.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I usually found it fine up to Jury's and after not great at night towards Thomas St. I lived in that part of town for years and as a female was careful at night. I personally think some of the problem is closer to the quays at Dublin Corperation as there is a methadone clinic there and it can get iffey even in the day.

I still think its better than Talbot st. Cyebersue, how much are you paying? We could suggest an alternative for you if you want?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and helpful responses. Just to fill you in a bit further: we'll be two streetwize Chicago gals roaming around Dublin, so we're not especially fearful. Still, we are cautious and value the information you're providing. The Days Inn Talbot is supposed to be a 5-mintue walk from O'Connell Station if I understand the PR correctly. We're paying $81 USD per night for two, and that's about our financial limit. We booked with a London agency, so there may be some flexibility there if we were to change locations. In short, I'm open to exploring other options, though not 100 percent convinced at the moment that we should change. I welcome any and all advice you may have in addition to what you've so kindly provided!! Your advice about where to go & what to see is really helpful.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM

There is no O'Connell station as far as I know. There is Connolly station, which is on Amiens St, and probably 5 minutes or less from the Days Inn. O'Connell St is at the other end of Talbot St, about 5-10 mins walk (it's a very long street)
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM

That is pretty cheap and hard to top. Just be mindful of the side streets there is a bit of a drug problem in the area at night.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:31 AM

Music pub in Dublin. The Cobblestone in Smithfield. This place consistently gets great reviews for trad. Others can comment on the areas dodgyness.

Bill
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:07 AM

Smithfield is also north inner city, about 20 minutes' walk from Talbot St. Not a great place for women to be out walking at night. You can use the Luas (tram service) to get back to Day's Inn -- that should be okay.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I have to disagree with nikorami, in my opinion the Guinness Storehouse is a fantastic tour, its well worth the money and you learn loads. Friends of ours stayed in Days Inn in Talbot street last September and loved it, they didnt run into trouble, maybe they were lucky, but I do agree with Siobhan its not the nicest of area's