Search

24 Hours in Paris on the Cheap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 Hours in Paris on the Cheap

Bonjour!

I have a 23 hour layover in Paris on my way back from the Amalfi coast. I land at CDG at 3:10pm on a Monday and fly out at 2pm the next day.

I have been to Paris before (for about 2 or 3 days) so I have seen the major sights- the Louvre, Pompideu, Effiel Tower, Arc de Triomphe... etc. Not looking to do those major sites, but really get a local feel- great food, bars, some good nightlife (laid back, not clubs!) or any sights/markets/adventures that are particularly local. Just want to really experience a day that is super Parisian!

Since this is just a layover, my budget is pretty small- the cheaper the better. I also need a hostel recommendation or at least a recommendation of an area to stay in. Since my stay is so short, hopefully somewhere really central. I am hoping not to spend more than $200-$300 (max) on the whole 24 hour experience.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Merci beaucoup,
Sara
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM

If you want local experiences you should read kerouac's threads. He goes to places most tourists never see and has photos too. Here's his profile, read his trip report and choose what appeals to you.

http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/kerouac/

If you have $200 to $300 there is no need to stay in a hostel but my niece recommends the Aloha Hostel in Montparnasse. I'd say your budget is huge for one day.

You can also connect with the Paris Greeter service where a local takes you around a particular area (you choose the area and they match you with a volunteer) for a few hours.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:30 PM

If I had 23 hours to spend in Paris with a $300 budget maximum, I'd do the following: A room at the Ibis Hotel in the 13th; Av. Stephen Pichon. I would then go for a meal at Cafe Roussillon in the 7th, on the corner of Rue Cler and Rue de Grenelle. Perfect steak, wonderful salad, very reasonable wines by the carafe, about 10 euros. Then a leisurely stroll over to St. Germain. Finally, back to your room to pack and head home the next day.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I guess I should say the cheaper the better, 200 max would be great, 150 would be better! Don't want to spend a lot of money on a hotel, would rather put that money towards a great activity or restaurant.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM

Since you need to leave for the airport before lunch I'd suggest something near the Gare St Michel in the Latin Quarter for easy airport access - Hotel Marignan in Rue Sommerard is very reasonable and perfectly adequate for one night.

Plenty of restaurant choices and easy access to lots of places - maybe a night cruise on the Seine. Then in the morning you have time for a stroll along the Seine or the neighbourhood and a leisurely brunch before heading to the airport. Change from $200.

200 euros would be very generous for
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM

Hi

Try the Young and Happy Youth Hostel.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:02 AM

Inexpensive hotel: http://www.saintpierre-hotel.com/
They have single rooms that are quite good.

The RER station stop is 2 blocks away & Odeon Metro is 1-1/2 blocks away.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:06 AM

Try hotel cosmos in the 11th...€65 a night for a double, probably cheaper for a single

http://www.cosmos-hotel-paris.com/en,1,6433.html

Basic hotel but in a great neighbourhood
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the hotel/hostel recommendations! Any suggestions of where to eat and what to see?
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM

If you are only there 24 hrs, I would really make it easy and stay within walking distance of the RER, or perhaps the Air France bus stop. You don't seem concerned about getting to/from the airport so I'm wondering what you were planning on that regard. Therefore, I'd suggest a budget hotel near St Michel/Notre Dame or the Luxembourg RER stops. For the AF bus, near Gare de Lyon (or the Bastille metro stop, at least that is only one stop away) or Montparnasse gare would be good. There are such options in both locations.

If you stay near Bastille, you can just walk around that area or the nearby Oberkampf area, if you stay in the Latin Qtr, you can walk around there or place Contrescarpe. In Montparnasse, a lot of young people are there at night in the cafes (actually, you could take the RER to Port Royal and walk west a bit if you don't have alot of stuff, it's several blocks).

The St Pierre hotel option is good. To be near the Port Royal, there is actually budget hotel just a block away that is good, the Pierre Nicole. There are more you can find farther west. http://hotel-pierre-nicole.com/

Or the Hotel Odessa is only about a block from gare Montparnasse, a very lively area. http://www.hotel-odessa.com/

These places are closer to 100 euro per room, though.

I think any hostel is going to involve more hassles getting to/from public transportation so it is a tradeoff. I don't know of one right near a good RER stop.

The Aloha hostel mentioned above may be nice, but it isn't really in Montparnasse as far as I'm concerned, it is in the 15th arrondisement near Volontaires metro, so would be more trouble getting to/from by public transportation. I think the St Pierre hotel would be a better choice, it isn't far from the RER line. There are actually some budget hotels right on bd St Michel you can find reviews on for the best. The 2* hotel Cluny Sorbonne is just one block off bd St Michel and only about a block from the RER stop, it would be a good choice, also. http://www.hotel-cluny.fr/
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM

You do not indicate what time of year you are making your visit. If it is from late October through February, the sun will be starting to set by the time you reach central Paris. Sightseeing is different in the dark, although good dining endures. Here is a handy site for checking this factor: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=195
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I am going in two weeks and I was planning on getting from CDG to Paris by taking the train. Thanks for all the advice so far!