Search

Paris Dining

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:21 AM
AC

Paris Dining

Hi, I'm going to visit Paris in a week. I'm looking forward to all the wonderful French food! Unfortunately, I'm a student without a lot of cash. Can anyone recommend some inexpensive, more casual restaurants to try? Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Grechen

Try this site http://travel.hispeed.com/parisrestaurantsvalue.htm<BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM
StCirq

Every student who goes to Paris should have a meal at Chartier, one of the oldest, most classic Parisian restaurants. It's not haute cuisine, but it's good, and it's cheap, and it's an experience. At 7, rue du Faubourg Montmartre in the 9me arrondissement. You can find out more about it at http://www.fluctuat.net/nuits/restos...s/chartier.htm

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:40 AM
AC

Grechen, <BR><BR>Thanks for your help!<BR><BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:03 PM
ann

Just off Place St Michel in the 5th are several streets, rue de la harpe, rue st severin, etc - lots of cheap but quite OK restaurants. Go before 7 or 7:30 as most have the cheapest options then. Even after that time plenty still in the 10 euro range.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:23 PM
xoxo

Avoid rue de la Huchette. The food isn't French, it's a big tourist rip off and very poor value for money. Le Guide du Routard, a French guide book, will be of help to you. Just note the names and addresses if you don't speak French. Good luck!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
YuckYuck

xoxo is SO right! Nobody, not even a poor student, has to stoop to eating on the rue de la Harpe. Total tourist trap - no authentic French food anywhere around, and the restaurants are dirty. You're better off getting a fresh salad or sandwich at a Brioche Doree.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Christina

I really would recommend against those tourist fast food restaurants in rue de la Harpe, also, as I think the food is suspect, especially the meat (which if not spoiled may be all fat/gristle). I kind of got sick from eating in one of them once. They are tourist traps and not French, either. I will admit that I've heard several young students say they like that area, though, because they don't care about good food that much and like all the crowds and activity.<BR><BR>Chartier is a good idea, it's basic food, but an interesting experience (actually not bad for the money). I think I've also liked Perraudin on rue St-Jacques in the Latin Qtr. For Lebanese, La Taverne du Nil on Ile St-Louis, rue de Regrattier, is very good and quite cheap. There are some good cheap typical French restaurants where young people go, even locals, that are not like those on rue de la Harpe -- La Gargouille on rue des Boulangers (runs between the Lemoine and Jussieu metro stops) and Pot de Terre on rue du Pot de Fer near place Monge are two (prix fixe dinner 12-20 euro). There are also several good cheap restaurants of various types (including French) on rue Thouin in the Latin Quarter, a little to the east of the Pantheon area, you can just walk around there and check them out.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:11 PM
nancy

I highly recommend Cafe du Marche on rue Cler in the 7th - met many students there. Also, Pizza Milano on the Siene and rue St. Michel. If you want the best hot fudge sundae you've ever had (New York Sundae) go to Le Depart St. Michel (a cafe - it's across the street from Pizza Milano (all a hop, skip & a jump across the bridge to Isle de la Cite and Notre Dame.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:26 PM
xoxo

You can do better than the Brioche Doree, which is just a chain serving decent but nothing-special patisserie. Why not try the home-made croissants at Cafe Mouffetard on rue Mouffetard? Or a croissant au beurre from any highly rated boulangerie (look for a sign that says Flute de Gana--a sign of superior bread).

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Gretchen

Also if you like mussels there are a number of restaurants across from the Gare du Nord that serve inexpensive meals and particularly moules frites.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Julie

Go to the chowhound dot com site and select their international board. Not terribly far down the current list of threads someone asks this question and a person named maurice answers with some very helpful suggestions. He lives in Paris himself so he knows whereof he speaks. Check it out.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:07 AM
AC

Wow, thanks for all the great advice everyone! I can't wait for my trip to start.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Paula

For good, inexpensive, French food in a casual atmosphere I can recommend the following:<BR><BR>Perraudin, 157 rue St. Jacques (near the Pantheon) - closed Saturday and Sunday - cash only - no reservations - best to arrive at opening (7:30 p.m.) to avoid a wait.<BR><BR>Polidor, 41 rue Monsieur-le-Prince (Metro: Odeon) - cash only - no reservations - once again, best to arrive at opening.<BR><BR>Not French, but I can also recommend:<BR><BR>L'As du Fallafel, 34 rue des Rosier - for great fallafels in Le Marais<BR><BR>Le Jardin des Pates, 4, rue Lacepede (in Latin Quarter - Metro: Cardinal Lemoine) - for nice pastas - best to call for reservations 01 43 31 50 71<BR><BR>We enjoyed lunches at Le Pain Quotidien and Cafe du Marche. We found Brioche D'Oree at St. Michel and St. Germain to be a good spot for takeaway pannini (and Luxembourg Gardens a lovely location to picnic).<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time in Paris!