Notices

Paris Restaurants

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Restaurants

I've not been to Paris for a couple of years and am asking for help with good/neighborhood restaurant/bistros that are not 5 star prices. I'm traveling with my 18 year old son who has quite a sophisticated palate. However, we are not on an expense account - just our own dime which is quickly diminishing against the euro!

Thank you, as always,

Cinzia

PS. We're staying in the 6th arr but love travling all over.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM
tod

Cinzia - Could you give us a better idea of your budget? Also it helps to know exactly where you will be staying as there may be a great inexpensive bistro near you!

Looking through my list of reasonable restaurants all over Paris I suggest these:

Bistro Mazarin, 42 rue Mazarine, 75006.
Tel; 01-43-29-99-01/03. In the same street,Alcazar, 62 rue Mazarine.Tel; 01-53-10-19-99.

Brasserie de L'Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, Tel;01-43-54-02-59

Pig'Z, 5 rue Marie Stuart, 75002. Tel;01-42-33-05-89. Metro Etienne Marcel.(www.pigz.fr)

Le Grille St.Germain, rue Guisard/rue Mabillon. Typical bistro with pre-fix menu.

Last but not least for lovely food,Le Bistro du Peintre, cnr. Ledru Rollin & rue de Charonne.

I haven't tried them all, but they do come reccommended from other posts on this board.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can eat well at one of the Chez Papa restaurants for no more than 15 euros per person. Portions are so large that the waiters tell you if you are ordering too much.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
ira

Hi C,

Have you entered <Paris restaurants> in the "search this forum" box?

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We are staying at the Louis II Saint Germain on the rue St. Sulpice. It was all I could find for this very last minute trip! I have been trying to read all of the posts from this forum but it's sometimes a little overwhelming. Things have changed a great deal in the last few years in Paris - primarily the cost of everything. I would like to not go over $60 - 75 us dollars for dinner if possible. I don't know if that's realistic or not. Thanks again,
Cinzia
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM

A true bargain at Fetes Galantes at 17 rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique tel 0143261040. It's near the pantheon in the 5th.
You will get a 3 course dinner for 2 for less than your budget. It's very tiny, the chef owner cooks, his wife serves you. Wonderful chicken, addictive potatoes, a good bistro menu.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Hi Cinzia,

A few suggestions from my trip in November (copied from report). Note that I had wine and water with every meal, so you can save.

http://www.chezclement.com/anglais/index.php (6th)

on rue St André des Arts
Busy, table for 2 of which one side had “sofa” seating, very comfy.
At beginning brought plate with two pieces of nice cured sausage, then:

Terrine Maison (very good)
½ Vittel
1/4 poulet fermier de Loué, red label with thyme, creamy potatoes (tasty)
No veggies, just potatoes (good)
Glace et fruits for dessert
Espresso
Glass of Bordeaux wine
Excellent food, 41E, left 1E tip.

Brasserie de L’Ile St Louis (4th)
Resto is just as you cross over from Ile de la Cite, on left
Faux Fillet au poivre avec frites allumette, very tasty 16E
Glass of beaujolais nouveau (Duboeuf)
Café crème
½ Badoit
3 glaces for dessert – vanille, coco, praline
Sat on outside patio, facing Pantheon, very busy location waiter was running full time I was there. Service was good, friendly reminders to my server
Total ~41E

Bistrot du 7eme (7th)
56 blvd Latour Maubourg, ½ block from Metro Latour Maubourg

Busy (there at ~ 8:30PM)

Chose 20E menu (French /English menu)
Terrine de porc (big piece)
Escalope de veau + allumette fries (really good cream + mushroom sauce, not too rich)
Bread
½ bottle Vittel
½ bottle Saumur 2005 Cauleraines (?)
Espresso
Positano dessert (Chantilly, red, white balls of ice cream)
Total 35.30. Paid with VISA, Left 2.20 tip

Café Hugo (4th
<Place des Vosges.

Bavette de veau, 1/2 bottle Vittel, glass of Chinon (Couly Dutheil) 17,20E. Lots of veggies, and potatoes dauphinoise. Good value. Busy place, nice view of square from small tables outside

I also like the area south of Place St Michel, along Seine. Plenty of restaurants. Rotisserie du Beaujolais is one that I recommend for their chicken.

For breakfast I usually do a "petit dejeuner"...croissant, coffee and OJ, under 10 euro. Lunch can be a delicious sandwich from one of the many sandwich shops you will see, Paul (a chain) and Miss Manon on rue St Antoine are good bets. Also can pick up a sweet at these places. You can get by on a 10euro lunch and still feel well fed.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all again. This is a good start to what I hope will be a gastronomic few days of delight.

Cinzia
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM

If you're staying on rue St-Sulpice you have an abundance of restaurants that will not break your budget within 2 blocks of you. The several block square area between Place St-Sulpice and rue du Four/Blvd St-Germain (south to north direction) and rue des Canettes and rue Mabillon (west to east direction) is packed with restaurants of many descriptions. It's busy and lively and you can choose from the menus posted in front to decide your preference. You may want to do this earlier in the day than just when you want to dine, as they fill up fast and a reservation would be a good idea.

A few choices I can recommend include Boucherie Roulière, 24 rue des Canettes, if you or you son are meat eaters; Bar a Soupes et Quenelles Giraudet, 5 rue Princesse for a light meal or take-out; Bartolo, 7 rue des Canettes for Italian; but there are lots of others on these same streets, including a good crèpes place whose name I can't recall.

And you might want to check on the France board at eGullet.com; great suggestions there.