Search

2 weeks in Greece in August 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks in Greece in August 2009

Hello

My husband & I were invited to a wedding on August 16th 2009 in Kefalonia. We want to spend 2 weeks in Greece and also visit Mykonos, including a day trip to Delos, and Santorini (the "islands&quot. Since Kefalonia is more of a laid back island, we really want to experience great nightlife and beach parties on the other islands. With that said, I do want to spend some time to relax and have some romantic dinners, too.

My questions are:

Timing:
Will I have enough time to visit all of these places? I need to spend at least 4-5 days in Kefalonia. I would be willing to skip Santorini and spend more time in Mykonos. e.g. is it better to spend 7 nights in Mykonos and skip Santorini or spend 3/4 nights on each island?

Pacing:
I've never been to Greece before, so I could use some advice about where I should fly into first.
I have the flexibilty to go to Kefalonia before or after the islands. I know I will need to connect in Athens between Kefalonia and the islands (as well as on my return flight to Boston). Also, is it worth my time to stay 1 night in Athens at the end of the trip?

Accomodations:
Has anyone rented an apartment/villa in Kefalonia or the islands? We want to be in the center of the action and worry that just the two of us staying in a villa would keep us from interacting with other travelers and locals.

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Yes, you will have enough time to visit Kefalonia, Mykonos and Santorini, as long as you make the island connections from Athens by air.

As you are probably aware, Aug 15th is a major Greek holiday, and islands, particularly those close to Athens (eg Mykonos), will be <i>very</i> busy.

Whether to do Mykonos and Santorini before or after the wedding probably won't make much difference, but the islands are less frantic after Aug 20th. They will still be busy, but in a more enjoyable way. With that in mind, my inclination would be: go to the wedding first, then fly to Santorini via Athens. After a few days (or more) on Santorini, take the flying cat to Mykonos. Then fly or ferry to Athens, and spend your last night there.

As a footnote, Kefalonia and other islands in the Ionian are very lively in August, so you wouldn't have to travel to Mykonos to party.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Don't skip Santorini. And make sure you have lots of film / available memory on your camera!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM

I agree with SallyJane........DO NOT SKIP SANTORINI!!!
My wife and I spent our 5th aaniversary there last year. Words like awesome and breathtaking come to mind. I think we took a couple hundred photos (in 4 days).
Enjoy!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Loved Myknonos, the bars were fun , and the beaches were even better, in fact , Myknonos beaches are nicer then Santorinis really.
Have you thought about Naxos, I hear it is like Mykonos 20 yrs ago, and Mykonos 20 yrs ago was GREAT!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM

You've heard wrong. Mykonos 20 years ago was nothing like Naxos today. That's like trying to compare apples to oranges. 20 years ago Mykonos had already lost its authenticity and was just a shadow of its former glory from the 1960's when it was THE place to be in Europe.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Your opinion.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Yes, my opinion. I've been going to Greece since 1985. I believe I have the basis for expressing it.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM

This is not an opinion. This is history.
G.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your comments, especially to Heimdall. Much appreciated. Don't worry, we are definitely going to Santorini!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Lee

I've been visiting Greece and its islands way before 1985 and I agree with what you say about Mykonos.

Jackie Onassis and her entourage have been credited for putting Mykonos on the map in the 60's. But, so many people followed.

Strangely though, I much prefer Mykonos now against those crazy days of the 70's and 80's. I sometimes think it has settled back to how I prefer it. It's an 'age' thing, I am sure

Bill
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

God forbid that Naxos should ever end up like Mykonos!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Tourists can be a fickle and restless crowd looking to discover somewhere 'new'.

I guess that if Naxos airport was big enough to accept international charter flights and the local council agreed to them, then the island would be heaving. At the moment the airport and lack of runway may be its saviour.

Bill

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Bill, the Naxians have had the oppty. to have a larger airport and declined.

And last year, there was a proposal to dredge the harbor deeper, so that those HUGE cruise ships could come in. Again, the Naxians turned it down.

Some people have the sense to hold on to what they have ... to defend their way of life against the greed of a few. Long may they wave.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Exactly Jan. That's what I was indicating.

For as long as they do that, the island will remain as it is. I sometimes wish that both Santorini and Mykonos had followed the route the folks on Naxos have taken.

Perhaps I am just being selfish though.

Bill