Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you get from CDG to your Paris apartment?

Apr 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

hi fodorites,

i've decided to rent an apartment for our week's vacation in paris. we will be staying in the 4th arrondissment on ile de la cite (right near notre dame). can you please tell me if an airport shuttle service will drop us off at a private address? i've looked at beeshuttle, parishuttle, and parisblueshuttle and they all say they will drop off at a HOTEL.

can anyone help me out here? a specific shuttle company recommendation would be much appreciated!

thank you!!!

Apr 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Yes, a shuttle will drop you wherever you choose. I/we have used
TAXI - easiest, often seen as most expensive but may be less per peson than many shuttles. Minivan taxis are now quite common at CDG so more people can fit in one vehicle.
TRAIN - easy if you ave a small amount of luggage and are staying near a station, fairly cheap, not subject to traffic delay. Pick up the RER at the airport an use the same ticket to transfer to a metro if necessary.
SHUTTLE - nice if you are the only ones in transport but a pain if you are on a shared shuttle that makes numerous stops; for two or more persons cost approaches or even exceeds that of a taxi
AIR FRANCE BUS - less than a shuttle, comfortable, your bags are stowed and removed for you, drops you at a set place from which you walk, taxi or metro to your destination. Closest for you would probably be Gare de Lyon stop.
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM

We used this shuttle service to take us from CDG to our apartment in the 7th. http://www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php

It did pick up a few other passengers, our driver was a tad scary (ignored the GPS messages, drove down streets the wrong way, etc.). While I speak english, I knew enough french to recognize the curse words our driver spoke.

May I suggest you schedule your airport pickup for a couple hours after supposed arrival? Our plane was on time, but for whatever reason our terminal went to lockdown and put us rather behind schedule. If your plane is late, or any other reason you miss your scheduled shuttle, you are at the mercy of whenever they have a free driver that day, even if you paid in advance.

Having said all that, it was very nice our first time to have someone meet us outside the terminal, take us directly to our apartment. Oh, to be picked up at 6am at our apartment for a return flight was even nicer!
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM

I am a real fan of the RER if arriving during rush hour. It avoids the traffic issue. You can leave the RER stop St. Michel and literally exit to ile de la cite. I am also very fond of the air France bus if my location jives with there stops...wonderful memories of getting off at the arc de Triumphe and then taking the subway. I great greeting and start to the trip. I think shuttles are less than wonderful...taxis are greatin off hours esp if multple travellers.
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM

I'm with Travelbunny on this: the RER is always how we travel from CDG - and we stay in the 4th. If you have a lot of luggage don't do it, otherwise it is an inexpensive and FAST (usually takes us 45 minutes) way into Paris.
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone,

thanks for all of the information!!!

to clarify, there will be two of us traveling. realistically speaking, we will have two fairly large suitcases with us (they may not be full but we love to shop!) and two carry-on pieces (knapsacks), so i'm not sure if the RER is the way to go for us (plus, it's an overnight flight from canada and i don't know if i will want to deal with that while my body still wants to sleep).

we will be arriving around 9:30 am (paris time) and i guess we'll be able to get out of the airport just before noon. is that considered rush hour in paris? would a cab be more economical?

i've found the shuttles are between 17 - 20 euros per person. will a taxi be more than 40 euros?

thanks again!!!
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM

The premium for a taxi vs. 20 Euros per person would be minimal. The problem with shuttles is that you are screwing around needing to meet someone specific instead of just grabbing a cab and going when you're ready. I've taken the RER a number of times and also the Air France bus. They both work fine and they can save some money, but it doesn't sound to me like you're real familiar and you don't need the complication of figuring anything out -- plus you're dealing with more luggage than I ever carry. Take a taxi and don't give it a second thought.
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM

I like to take a taxi from the airport because many of the shuttles require you to call and meet them once you arrive. It is easier just to walk out to the curb and step into a taxi. It cost me 55 euros to go from CDG to an apartment in the 4th arrondissement during rush hour in March.

But on the way back to the airport, I usually reserve a shuttle. For two people it comes to less than a taxi. They pick you up at the door. I have used http://world-shuttles.com/.
May 31st, 2008, 05:57 AM

Nikki-
I am trying to use worldshuttle for our trip to Paris arriving on June 10. I can make the reservation on the reservation page but can't make the paypal page work because we don't have a french credit card.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Amy
May 31st, 2008, 06:05 AM

I have found that the train is more convenient than the shuttle. From there, I take the metro. If you have the money, take a taxi, but I warn you, they are expensive. I took the shuttle one time and it took a long time to get to your destination.
May 31st, 2008, 06:21 AM

I just returned last week from Paris and we took the taxi to and from the airport to our hotel on the Champs Elysees. It was very simple and the cost for 2 of us was 42e + small tip. I think for 2 or 3 people a taxi is definitely the way to go.
May 31st, 2008, 12:33 PM

Amy, I have never reserved with them via the web page; I have only called from Paris and paid in cash.

I have never taken a shuttle from the airport to an apartment because I prefer to step into a waiting taxi at the curb, and most of the shuttle companies require you to call them when you arrive. I have only taken them from the apartment to the airport at the end of my stay.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM

Last year we arrived about
11 AM on a Saturday morning.

A taxi had us at our apartment on Ile St Louis in under 45 minutes for 45 Euros for 3 people. So 15 Euros each.

Your travel time would be about the same but will vary depending on traffic.

Personally, the thought of shlepping bags on and off metros and trains after a transatlantic flight is not my idea of how to start off a visit to Paris!

Rob
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM

Having done RER, Air France bus, and taxi, I heartily agree with those who suggest a taxi, especially with a bit of luggage and for first-timers. But I find the quoted prices for taxis a bit low (not doubting anyone's word, just warning not to necessarily plan on that amount), even on weekends; I've not paid less than 50 euro in several years.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the information!

i am leaning towards booking a shuttle...

regarding the various shuttles ... what happens if our flight is delayed and/or we are slow to come out of customs/baggage claim??

i'm wary of pre-booking a shuttle with my credit card, being delayed (for whatever reason) and then finding out that the shuttle has left and we're now at the mercy of the shuttle company to 'squeeze us in'.

has this happened to anyone? is this something i should be concerned about?

thank you!!
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM

Personally the reason I prefer taking the taxi (Taxi Parisien) is to avoid what you're concerned about. Yes. Those scenarios you described have happened and they have not. It depends on your luck. The taxi does cost more than a shuttle for one person, but I prefer using it.

Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM

For us, the very easiest way to get in to Paris is via the RER, then a taxi from the nearest station.

Inexpensive, simple, no booking, no fuss.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM

When we first started going, we used the shuttles, and the first couple of times they were great. However, each year the experience got worse and worse, until I finally gave up and switched to public transportation.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM

The only way I do it is by private transfer. They will meet you outside immigration door..waiting with your name on a sign..will take your luggage to a nearby vehicle and voila..you are off to your hotel or your apt. They will keep track of any delays in your arrival. The only way to go after a long, miserable flight..
http://www.shuttle-inter.com/
Enjoy......
Jun 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Another vote here for taxi. When traveling alone with little baggage I use RER, but with companions it is easier and not necessarily more expensive to go via taxi. A standard sedan should able to accommodate your bags, but minivans are now common if you need that. With shared shuttles you risk having to ride around while others are dropped off first, and for private shuttles you pay a premium that approaches or even exceeds taxi fare We paid under 50€ with tip from CDG to our apartment near the pont d' Austerlitz, fairly close to the Ile. Especially arriving after an overnight flight, it is well worth the few € difference (if there is one).
Also, I think you will be out of the airport well before noon. I have never had to spend more than an hour after arrival clearing passport control, getting checked bags and going through customs (which is virtually nonexistent, as you simply walk through the nothing to declare green lane.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO