2 weeks in December - Spain, Morocco and Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my wife and I plan to visit these three countries for a 2 week trip in December. We were thinking of spending 3 days in Morocco, 5 days in Spain and 5 days in Portugal.

I am open to dropping a country if the plan sounds too aggressive. Would love to hear your ideas for an itinerary.

Thanks a ton.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM

If it were me, I would skip Spain and put a day or two more in Morocco and the rest in Portugal.

Portugal is one of my favorite places. Lisbon needs a good five days and if you like wine at all, I'd be sure to hit Porto.

Lisbon has great hotels, great restaurants and welcoming people!

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about Lisbon.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM

You will enjoy the inside of whatever transportation you are using and maybe you will see some of the countries you have listed. You have not accounted for getting to and from the airport or the train, packing, unpacking, etc.

You can visit Spain and Morocco for two weeks and not see very much. You can see Portugal from north to south in two weeks.

Pick one country and learn it well. We travel with the thought that we would rather see a few places well than many poorly.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM

This is way too aggressive. In that time you should see 3 cities or area - not countries. Where had you planned on going in Spain and Portugal. Do you mean Lisbon and Madrid? Are you thinking about other cities?

Separately, are you aware that in Spain and Portugal winter will be chilly (there is skiing in the mountains) and may well be rainy?
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM

2 weeks is time for only one country, so yes you are being too aggressive.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM

I have to agree - this is far too much and you'll be rushed off your feet. Leave out Morocco until you have the time to explore it properly. The weather will be similar - we also have skiing in the mountains and rain and cold in winter!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM

Agreed. We spent 2 weeks in just Portugal last new years and just saw central Portugal! Here's our trip report with pics.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-20102011.cfm

These are big countries, with tonnes to see and large distances to cross to get to them. And dont forget daylight hours will be much shorter which can cut into sightseeing time.

With 2 weeks you could get a nice flavour or Lisbon with maybe a day trip to Sintra, Madrid and say Barcelona flying into Lisbon and out of Barcelona. Or stick to one country.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
jgg

I think you need to determine which cities you want to see in which countries (and I think one in each is probably all you can do). We did a trip with 6 nights Barcelona and 7 nights in Morocco (Marakkech, desert, Fez) it was a fabulous trip!! Here is a link to the trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-tangines.cfm

Here is also a great trip report of someone who did do Spain(Madrid, Valencia), Morocco and Lisbon Portugal in January. Very entertaining and informative:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-tangines.cfm