2 week Italy trip, RT Rome flights

Nov 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

2 week Italy trip, RT Rome flights

After seeing the astronomical costs of my planned trip to Italy, I am thinking of trying to save a few thousand dollars by flying RT Rome rather than open jaw, and thus using miles to fly. I have no clue how to set it up this way though. My original plan (after multiple helpful responses to my reluctant traveler post) was to do the 3 major cities, flying into Rome and out from Venice or v.v. If I fly round trip Rome, would it be foolish to do those cities? What about dropping Venice and just doing Rome, Florence and Positano (or somewhere in that area) - I know that would mean training back and forth past Rome, but it might be worth it. Any thoughts? Would that shorten the train travel as compared to going from Rome to Florence to Venice and then taking the train back down to Rome before flying home? Is there a train that travels from Florence to Positano or is that a complicated proposition?

Thanks for any responses. I am amazed at how helpful you all are.
Nov 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Anyway you look at it, you'll have to come back to fly out of Rome from wherever your last stop was. Just come back the morning before, enjoy a slow-paced afternoon, have a nice dinner to toast your vacation, and then go home the next morning.

Days 1-5 Into Rome, Rome visits
Days 6-9 Train to Florence area
Days 10-12 Train to Venice
Day 13 Train to Rome
Day 14 Fly home
Nov 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM

<< I am thinking of trying to save a few thousand dollars by flying RT Rome rather than open jaw>>

Do you try to find open jaw flights by choosing two one-way flights? Many people do this, but it is NOT the way to book an open jaw itinerary and the prices generated often causes travelers to cringe.

To book and open-jaw itnerary, use the "multi-city" option, and I'm sure you'll find a few flight options that are much closer in price to roundtrip to Rome.
Nov 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM

For most airlines, you can use miles to get open jaw awards. Some amount of miles.

On many airlines, you can't do that online, so you have to call. But that's about it.

R/T vs Open jaw has nothing to do with money vs mileage. Totally independent issues.
Nov 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM

If you're talking RT Rome versus open jaw into Rome and out of Venice I would be amazed if the difference in price is more than $50 or so.

If it is you're definitely doing something wrong on your search - or have somehow picked a date with all coach seats sold out (due to a convention or something). If the latter is the case, just do the vacation in reverse.
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

To all - it is not a question of which is less expensive, open jaw vs. RT Rome - they price out pretty similarly when you want non stop. The question is $$$ vs. using miles to pay for the flights.

According to American Express, when you use their miles to fly, a mileage award can only be used for a trip that is to and from the same city. If you fly into Venice and home from Rome, then you have to use double the miles. Ex. - RT Rome - 40,000 miles per RT ticket; in to Venice, home from Rome - 40,000 miles each way.

Nov 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM

So your using points not FF miles. You might repost on the airline forum. Some of the posters will know if there are other point deals or ways around using so many points.
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM

If you do have to fly in and out of Rome, I recommend that you save all your Rome time for the end. This saves you one hotel change, which would be required to be back in Rome for your last night in order to get the flight home.

Upon arrival in Rome, train immediately to Florence, then train to Venice, then train back to Rome for the end of the trip so you're there for your flight home.
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Just booked flights using AA miles and we are flying into Rome, out of Munich. They are NOT non-stops, but reasonable, Through Brussels out and DFW home. AA allows open jaw to use FF miles, 60K in our instance, plus you have to call but they are very helpful, just tell them exactly what you need.
Nov 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

I will post my query on the airline forum also, as suggested. My understanding, after talking to the Am Ex rep was that the 'points' on my Am Ex sky card function just like miles if I am booking a flight - and it was during this phone call that I was told that it had to be round trip the same city for me to use one mileage award instead of 2. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to check again.

My AA miles don't really help me here, since American does not fly nonstop to Italy and I am only looking at nonstop flights. But it is good to know for the future that they allow open jaw booking.

Re the suggestion to train straight to Florence after landing in Rome - that sounds reasonable to me. How hard is it to get from the Rome airport to the train station?
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Most people take the Leonardo Express, a 30-minute direct train from FCO to Roma Termini where you would cath a train to Florence.
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Definitely recheck with AmX and also maybe with whoever you will be flying on the open jaw/miles thing. I have transfered my AmX points to my Delta Skymiles account and have used this to book open jaw Europe flights. I've always talked directly with the Delta rep, not with AmX though. On our last trip to Italy (paid tickets, not FF) this summer I couldn't get a decent fare in or out of Rome - it was much more expensive. Ended up flying into Milan and out of Pisa.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:01 AM
ira

Hi B,

>Re the suggestion to train straight to Florence after landing in Rome - that sounds reasonable to me. How hard is it to get from the Rome airport to the train station?<

It is also what I would do.

Upon exiting from Customs at FCO, follow the crowds and the signs showing a train to the train station.

You want the Leonardo da Vinci express to Roma TE - about 11E - 0:30 hr.

It's about 10-15 min walk from the LDV to the head of the tracks from where your train to Florence will leave.

Schedules for the LDV from Fiumicino to Rome and the train to Florence are at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You can buy tickets online or when you get to the FCO station.

Leave about 4 hr from the time that you are scheduled to land to the time your train to Florence leaves.

Your baggage can be delayed.

Enjoy your visit.

Nov 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM

It is very hard these days to predict future airline fares based on prior experience. But the Venice leg could be adding to your cost since you cannot fly direct from Venice but must connect somewhere. Try Milan as your return point. This past summer we actually saved a $100/ticket by fly home from Zurich rather than a RT to Rome. Rome is popular so the demand for ticket is higher with less discounting. Never thought to check the RT fare to Zurich, I might have been surprised.
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Delta and USAirways fly non-stop between the US and VCE.