2 week Italy Itinerary

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 week Italy Itinerary

My wife and I are spending 14 days in Italy (fly into and leave from Rome). Places we want to visit for sure are Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscan Region and possibly the Sorrento region. Any suggestions on an itinerary? Also, how many days should we spend and where. We like touring the sites but we also like soaking in on the ambiance of non-tourist Italy. How do we maximize our stay and what Tuscan towns should we visit. HELP!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Camargiotta

Hi! My husband and I have taken 2 trips to Italy in the past 2 yrs. and here was our itinerary on each one:
Trip 1:
Milan
Bellagio
Sirmione
Venice
San Marino
Bologna
Florence
Pisa
Cinque Terre
Santa Margherita (Italian Riviera)
back to Milan.
Trip 2:
Rome
Tuscany
Assisi
Frosinone
Naples
Capri
Sorrento
back to Rome.
Each time we rented a car, had no reservations - except 1st and last nights - and just went whenever and whereever we wanted. Both trips were wonderful and it would be hard to decide which one was better. We both love the water so anyplace near it was what we liked best. This web site was invaluable for both trips. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi jerry,

I have a different travel philosophy from Camargiotta. I travel more slowly.

My suggestion,

Fly into Rome Take the train to
Florence spend 5 nights day trip
Lucca day trip Siena included off to
Venice spend 3 nights return to
Rome spend 5 nights return home

I would save the Amalfi coast for another trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:28 AM

Hi Jerry,

You don't say when you are going. But if tickets are not already purchased, or even if they are, I would definitely try to fly into Rome and out of Venice. It will save you a full day.

Since it sounds like this is your first trip to bella Italia, your destination choices are great. You can do it if you realize that you won't see it all and will want to return. That's a given.

My travel preference is to mix cities and culture with countryside and scenery. Gives you a nice overview.

You'll get a million differing opinions. Here goes:

Amalfi Coast 3 nts
Fly into Rome, depending on arrival time stay one night or travel on down to the Amalfi Coast. I would not stay in Sorrento, but would choose Positano or Ravello.

See Pompeii either on the way to or from the Amalfi Coast. If you are really into archeology, visit the museum in Naples to see the artifacts from Pompeii.

Rome - 3 nights, see your priorities and pick up a car

Tuscany - 3 nights, drop car in Siena or Florence

Florence - 2 or 3 nights, depending on how much you love art

Venice - 3 nights, fly home

If you choose not to go to Amalfi this trip, you will of course have more time for all destinations.

Another one of my travel preferences is to have a list of site to see along with their days/hours of opening. Once there I play it by ear as long as it's not something that requires advance reservations (like the Uffizi). I also like to leave at least a 1/2 day in each location for spur of the moment options or relaxing/picnic time.

Have a great time! Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
To: drjerrygarcia

I just hope that when you return you tell us what a long, strange trip it's been.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your good suggestions. Unfortunately, we have our tickets already and we basically have to fly in and out of Rome.

I tend to be more like Camargiotta and want to get the most in as possible. However, my wife is more like Ira who wants to see Italy in a more leisurely pace. So we decided to compromise and do something more in between - something like Dayle's suggestion. So here is our itinerary. It is still open to changes and suggestions. Please let me know what you think.

June 5-7 As soon as we arrive Rome, take train to Florence; spend 2 nights. On 3rd day, get a car and drive to Tuscan Cities

June 7-10 Spend 3 nights in Tuscan countryside (any suggestions as to which city?). On last day, return car, go to Pisa, see Leaning Tower and take train to Cince Terre region.

June 10-12 Relax in Cince Terre. Any suggestions on which of the 5 towns we should stay in?

June 12-14 From Cince Terre, take train to Venice. Stay in Venice. On last day, take night train back to Roma.
June 15-17. Rome. Site see etc.
June 18 leave for U.S.

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
June 10-12 Relax in Cinque Terre. Any suggestions on which of the 5 towns we should stay in?

My suggetion would be to stay in Levanto, which is called "Gateway to Cinque Terre." I stayed at Villa Margherita which I liked, but there are other nice places in Levanto, too. Villa Margherita had very friendly hosts who can impart a lot of knowledge about the area, including restaurants and a nice short-cut walk to the nearby train station. You can take short train ride to any one of the five towns and do as many hikes as you'd like. It is a magical place. If you want to splurge, there is a hotel above Monterosso called Hotel Porto Roca (they have website). It looks pretty cool, also. My wife and I are going back in September . In Tuscany, we stayed at Palazzo Ravizza in Siena. Nice garden side rooms overlooking Tuscan countryside and great dinners. However, I have seen on another website a restaurant called Cane y Gatto. One person on a website said, "Six course meal that is out of this world." One onliner said "this particular experience was so unique that it enjoys a position of honor all its own." That's all from here. Have fun.