Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many nights for CT, Florence, Amalfi Coast area & Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many nights (minimum) and what would be the best itinerary/order to visit the places I mention above? Looking at traveling in the spring. Would you recommend renting a car for some or all of the trip? I don't mind open jaw flights (into Milan & out of Rome?) Thanks for any feedback you can offer!
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM

How long do you have for your trip? You could fly into Milan, train to CT, spend 2-3 days; train to Florence, spsend 3 days or a bit longer if you want day trips to other Tuscan cities/towns; train to Amalfi Coast, spend 5 days; train to Rome and spend 5 days and fly out of Rome. That is 15 days, not counting the days of arrival and departure. And 3 or 4 will be taken up by travel from one location to another. If you have less time to spend, I would cut out one destination, either CT or the Amalfi Coast. You really don't need a car. In fact, you definitely don't want a car with the possible exception of Amalfi and I wouldn't suggest one there.
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

That's what I figured - I'm trying to get as much in as possible. I wanted to get an idea of how long it would take to visit those areas. We are realistically only going to have 14 nights, which includes the first night of arrival. Tough choice between which to cut out - CT or the Amalfi coast area - they are both on my bucket list ... ugghhh!

So, do you think Rome, Florence & either AC or CT would be doable in 14 nights?
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Hi,
If you start with the CT, you can fly into Pisa or Florence-much closer than Milan. Heading south, if you end in AC, fly out of Naples. The train is easy and stress free if you travel light.From Rome you can train to Salerno and then take a bus, ferry, or private driver to AC. We once had a driver from Rome to the AC -for 6 people with luggage, it was 400Euro in 2007. There are lots of ways to do this but driving is not easy-been there, done that-they really drive aggressively south of Rome. We also did a one day tour from Florence-it is called the Best Tour of Tuscany.-Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa and lunch at a Tuscan farm.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM

we're planning 16 nights, fly into Venice, 2 nights, Florence 3, Sorrento 5, and Rome 6. We're going to train everywhere. So taking out the 2 nights in Venice, that's your 14 nights. We're into the archeological aspects, not so much art, so Rome is pretty well it for me, a couple of days in Florence, see David, walk around and get a feel since there's not nearly enough time for an indepth immersion, and maybe a day trip to Assisi.

This is my first trip so I wanted to get a taste of Florence and Venice, going down to Sorrento will satisfy my desire to see that area, Capri, Vesuvius, Pompeii, and maybe never get back there. I think I could spend a month in Rome and still want more.

Too much to see, too little time, too little money!
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Agree with the too much too see, too little time & money! My husband has been to Italy decades ago with his Architectural Engineering class. He's been to Rome, Florence & Venice. I have never been to Italy. We have a cruise planned that will allow us to spend 3 days in Venice before we sail to Greece & Turkey.

I want to explore the west coast of Italy on our next adventure. For whatever reason, the CT area really intrigues me. I know a lot of people say it is touristy but it seems to be just beautiful. My husband loved Florence so we want to go back there. And of course, we have to go to Rome!

I'll have to ponder this a bit more and do some research. I love to have this forum to bounce ideas around. Thanks to all!
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:29 AM

"So, do you think Rome, Florence & either AC or CT would be doable in 14 nights?"

Yes, it would be. But if it is early spring, it might not be the best time for the CT depending on weather.

I went to the CT for the first time in 2005 and so wish I had done it on earlier trips. I was there in the latter half of September and it was mobbed with American tourists carrying their Rick Steeve's books. I was terribly disappointed but guess I should have expected it.

The ride to and from was the best part as the scenery was gorgeous and we got out of there much quicker than we intended. We were very pleased we had chosen to stay in Rapallo instead as we shared that lovely town with mostly Italian tourists and it was a much more charming experience.

Personally, I would allow for at least 5 nights in Florence.
There are some lovely areas to explore from there as well as taking the time to enjoy the city itself. From Florence, there are many places you can easily visit including Siena, the Chianti region, even a day trip to Bologna, one of our favorites.

I would spend five full days in Rome and perhaps do a day trip to Umbria for a change of pace.

I cannot help with the AC. I have not been there since the 80s and cannot even imagine how busy it gets these days.

It's great that you are planning only three stops in 2 weeks instead of racing around trying to see everything. Have a great trip!
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Such a shame to hear all the negatives regarding the CT area. It doesn't sound that it can handle the volume of visitors traveling there each year. Definitely a downside of popularity. Maybe we should just skip it all together ...
At least that would be 2 less American tourists ...

I appreciate all your other comments though. We still have a year to plan so we still have lots of flexibility.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I still think I want to keep CT in my itinerary. After some research, it appears that Milan isn't significantly further to CT than Pisa, unless I am reading incorrectly (which is totally possible). Milan is significantly cheaper to fly into than Pisa & not worth it to me if it is only going to save a significant amount of time (more than 1.5 hours). How does this look:

Day 1: Fly to Milan; train to CT area
Day 2-3: CT area
Day 4: Train to Florence
Day 5-6: Florence
Day 7: Train to Rome
Day 8-9: Rome
Day 10: Train to Naples
Day 11-12: Naples (day trip to Amalfi Coast?)
Day 13: Fly out of Naples

I do not plan to visit Pompeii or Capri during this visit. Also, I can add 1 more day somehere (Rome or Florence)? I am not a museum buff, more of a soak in the scenery, food, wine, etc.

Even though several train stops, most of the legs are relatively short, correct? Any thoughts or comments? Thanks as always!
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Mykidsmom99,

I glad to read you are going to Cinque Terre, we were just there and my husband and I taught it was beautiful! We tried staying a little bit longer but our room was already booked. We were there in the beginning of April. It was not crowded at all, the weather was great. We stayed in Monterosso and had some of the best meals at Mikys. If you like to hike, then I think you will enjoy CT. Bring a good pair of shoes and a windbreaker jacket.

We are planning on going back again next year for about 2 weeks.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Yes, Rome needs more time. What is the attraction of Naples (other than proximity to the AC)? You could train through to Salerno, then bus or boat up to Amalfi and stay on the coast itself.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

>Tough choice between which to cut out - CT or the Amalfi coast area ....<

For a 2 week visit it doesn't matter, you will be happy with either, and you will see the other on your next visit.

Why have you left out Venice?

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

We actually are going to get to visit Venice in another trip So, I was trying to get in as much as the west coast as possible during this particular trip.

If I have to cut something out, maybe I should save the AC for another trip & focus on CT, Florence and Rome.

As far as Naples, I was just thinking it would be a base for a day trip to the AC area & close to the airport.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Milan is over three hours to Vernazza in the CT-Pisa is 1:40 to 1:54 to Vernazza.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Last year we did Germany, Austria and Italy with our son. I can tell you we needed at least 2 days in Venice. We had 2 days in Florence, but one would have been good. A side trip to Tuscany give a whole different flavor of Italy - a step back in time. We had 4 days in Rome - barely enough time to enjoy sights. Rome was beautiful! We had 2 nights in Naples (not interested in sights in Naples), but used it as a jumping off point to visit the Almafi Coast. Our mistake was a one day tour of the coast, visiting Positano, Sorrento, Almafi, and a few other towns. This was the gem of Italy as far as I'm concerned. If I had it to do over, I'd take only 1 day in Florence, and 4 or 5 days along the Almafi Coast. Crazy, crazy, crazy drivers in Rome and along the Almafi Coast. We took trains and paid for taxis, and hired a driver for the day for Almafi Coast. I do not recommend driving Rome or Almafi. Florence was not as bad, and neither was Tuscany. If you drive in Rome or the Almafi Coast - it will be a 'white knuckle' experience! I have a friend who visited Capri, and he said it was very, very dirty, would never visit Capri again. I don't know because I didn't go there. I can say that Almafi Coast is the best of Italy! Have a great vacation!
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Having visited Italy, this would be my recommendation:

Day 1: Fly to Venice
Day 2-3: Venice
Day 4: Morning Train to Florence (2 hours) - spend day in Florence
Day 5: Day trip and winetasting to Tuscany / Siena area
Day 6: Morning Train to Rome (2 hours) - spend day in Rome
Day 7-9: Rome - see the Vatican, Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Cattacombs - see Coliseum at night and during the day - beautifully lit at night - get the Roma Pass for best prices and skip the lines to sights
Day 10: Morning in Rome, afternoon Train to Naples (2 hours). Naples has THE BEST seafood I tasted in Italy
Day 11-13: Morning train to Sorrento, under 90 minutes. Either stay in Sorrento, Positano or Almafi, and take the train to the other coastal towns, or pay a taxi driver or get on a bus. Don't try to drive it! You will be so glad you did. This will be the best part of your vacation!!!
Day 14: Morning tain to Naples. Fly out of Naples or train to Rome and fly out of Rome.

Venice, Rome and Almafi Coast are the best places to soak in the scenery, enjoy the food, the sun, and the sand (in Almafi coast). All of Italy has great wine! Best shopping for souveniers in Venice, Rome, Sorrento and Almafi.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM

"I can say that Almafi Coast is the best of Italy! "

Is that comment based upon what you saw in just this one trip? Italy has much to offer beyond just the AC.

BTW, Florence is in Tuscany.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM

This person is asking for opinions, and I offered mine. Yes Italy has alot to offer, but this is an easy way to plan 14 days based on what she is looking for. You have your opinion and I have mine. I didn't make a rude remark to you, so please don't be rude to me.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Pointing out that Florence is in Tuscany is not rude.

And I simply asked a question about the extent of your travel to Italy which you answered, albeit indirectly.

This is a public forum and we are all free to express our opinions. I do not see anything rude about my post.

IMO, spending only one day in Florence is a real shame. For others who might not be interested in art, architecture or the multitude of other experiences the city has to offer it might well be worth only a day.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tremendously for your feedback!

Ok, say I was able to rearrange the itinerary to fit in the Amalfi Coast area ... I have a couple questions...

I would be coming from Rome. I am not interested in Pompeii or Capri at this time. I would more be interested in the towns of the AC area. My questions are:

1) What would be the best base town for the above interests?

2) Would I be able to get from AC to the Naples airport for a 10am flight or would I need to head back a day early and overnight in Naples?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -