2 Straight couples in Sitges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The photos of Sitges look amazing. Everything I've read says it's an active Gay resort town, would 2 middle age straight couples feel out of place?
What are some of the nicest, centrally located hotels in Sitges? Thank you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We've never felt out of place in Sitges. It's gay-friendly, not gay-only. Many families with kids about, old folks...

We stayed at the Santa Maria, a two or three star hotel (nothing fancy, comfortable enough) across from the beach in the middle of town. Family-run, quite pleasant.

Note that Sitges also has a "satellite" area somewhat east of the central district (Melia hotel etc.) that is a bit of a walk from the middle of things.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:16 AM

agree with garyloo. have you ever been to cape cod? about the same, but not as many craft shops.

it is a lovely resort town, best visited off season or not on sundays unless you like crowds.

i have had friends use it as a very inexpensive base to go to barcleona and area. good public transport into town.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Our family of 4 ( two middle-aged parents, two teens) was in Sitges last August. We thoroughly enjoyed the town, and never felt out of place.

As far as hotels, I think most of them are fairly mediocre. We stayed at Hotel Estella Barcelona which was a hike from town and had rooms in serious need of updating. The Melia hotel up the street from us probably had nicer rooms, but was only about a block closer to town.

We did see Hotel Calipolas (spelling?)directly across from the main beach in town, and that seems to have the best location. However, we looked at rooms there because we were thinking of moving closer in to town, but the rooms were very disappointing, and the AC didn't seem to work.

Good luck! And if you find a decent hotel to stay at, please post again!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Good news! Thanks!

Now for a hotel... We do want a very nice hotel (OK we're spoiled), with a balcony in the central part of town (walkable to shops, restaurants, night life). Isn't there something that would fit the bill? We don't want to be on the outskirts of town. Would a short term apartment rental be better if they have something like this for just 4 or 5 days?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
P_M

This is a very general statement, but in any situation I've always found gay people to be very welcoming toward straight people as long as you're not a gay-basher. So whether it's a bar, a party, or just a community I have never been made to feel that I'm not welcome because I'm not gay, therefore I never feel out of place.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

Calipolis is the best (not luxurious though)hotel in central Sitges, facing the beach and with balcony. I stayed there for a few nights one summer. The air-con worked perfectly. The room was clean and good. The hotel staff was nice and courteous as far as I can remember and if you ask they will give you a clean towel every time you go to a beach.

A budget alternative is Subur (2 or maybe 3*) also facing the beach and a few doors from Calipolis. They have a sport bar where buffet breakfast is served too.

Melia can be a better hotel than Calipolis (I think they are both 4* but Melia is newer) but is a bit too far from the center for me so I never considered staying there but that's a personal choice.