Monastery accomodations in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the Monastery accommodations available in Venice and Rome for short stays. Prices are very reasonable and pictures look inviting. Any advice?
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM

Try Piccole Suore della Sacra Famiglia in Rome. Very clean, quiet, has AC and located across the street from the Vatican museum entrance. Paid 60 euro per night in Sept of 2010. Don't know how you can do better than this in Rome. I have a review on Tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

e-mail: [email protected]

Casa Accoglienza "Paolo VI"
Piccole Suore Sacra Famiglia
Viale Vaticano, 92
00165 ROMA
www.pssf.it
Tel. +39 06 3909141
Fax. +39 06 39091427
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are looking at a company with monastery in the name, they are a reseller and mark up the prices. You are better off booking directly with the convent or monastery.

If you need contact info for a certain convent you can do a search as there are multiple threads that I've listed e-mails for various convents.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 01:09 AM

Kybourbon, I've tried doing what you suggest but I found it difficult to find the same monasteries. Is there a trick to searching that I'm missing?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 03:38 AM

Try this.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This is an old thread about Venice convents with some contact info and a map of their locations. Some of the contact info is out of date. There is a more recent thread with updated contacts. I'll see if I can locate it.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-360224-2.cfm

Are you looking on monastery stay? Which convents are you interested in? Usually the church is named on their website or the order. I know for single rooms, they mark the room up as much as 15€ per night.

Santa Susanna is a good place to look, but they don't keep their prices up to date. I would prefer something more central than the one deguilio stayed in, but it is one of the cheaper ones with AC.

cathies - I have three different monastery/convent stay books. I also use a couple of websites to search info and have compiled lists for Italy (the books cover all of Europe).

The Rome Tourist Board has them listed on their website (there are over 200) and you can search by amenities/location although their search function isn't totally accurate. Use the advanced tab (upper right in orange) to narrow your search. When you find a convent you are interested in, click on it and you get the info and a map. Click expand on the map to get a better idea of location and click the little camera symbol and zoom in a bit. Not all convents will have e-mails or websites.
http://www.060608.it/en/accoglienza/...case-per-ferie

I also use Hospites, but it is in Italian only. It's a bit more difficult to use, but does give you direct contact info.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Thanks kybourbon, we are hoping to be in Italy later this year so I will use your suggestions to search. We stayed in a monastery in Rome a few years ago and loved it. Great value even with the monasterystays premium.

Cheers Cathie
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Another vote for Piccole Suore della Sacra Famiglia - if you want to stay near the Vatican. Extremely reasonable price and the nuns were great. They didn't speak English but they had figured out how to communicate very well without it.

After I checked in, I went for a walk down the street and noticed that there wasn't a line to enter the Vatican Museums so made an unplanned visit to the museums. Had to take the Metro to the Colosseum/Forum and it was just a short walk to the Metro station. (And an even shorter walk to a very yummy gelato place.) But you might want to stay in a more central location.

The Santa Susanna site is a good resource. And there's a few reviews of some of the convents over at TripAdvisor.