Hostels in Italy

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostels in Italy

I'm a 58 year old woman thinking about traveling to Italy solo. Any suggestions about staying in hostels? I've been through Tuscany, Venice and Rome but stayed in small hotels and b&B's so this will be a first. I'm looking to meet people and socialize!
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are planning to visit this trip? I stayed in a women's hostel in Rome several years ago and liked it very much. If Rome is on the itinerary this time I'll find the information, if it interests you.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Hostels in italy

Thank you! I would love to know the one you stayed at, I will be flying into Rome but not sure of all my destinations yet, just starting my plans.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 09:02 PM

Orsa Maggiore. I liked the location, on the Vatican side of Trastevere in a quiet residential neighborhood, near a bus stop and not far from Trastevere's restaurants, the Vatican and close to the river. It also seems to be on a number of booking sites, including booking.com. Check around for the best price if it interests you. https://www.orsamaggioreroma.com/en/
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Orsa Maggiore. I liked the location, on the Vatican side of Trastevere in a quiet residential neighborhood, near a bus stop and not far from Trastevere's restaurants, the Vatican and close to the river. It also seems to be on a number of booking sites, including booking.com. Check around for the best price if it interests you. https://www.orsamaggioreroma.com/en/
I researched this hostel quite a few years ago, and it sounded like a good place to stay. One friend’s husband ended up joining us on that trip so we stayed elsewhere, but I’d definitely check it out on MmePerdu’s recommendation.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:25 AM

I've tried several times to reserve at the Orsa Maggiore, but they were always already fully booked. The neighbourhood is excellent. If you want to stay there, don't delay.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.the-beehive.com/ They have a variety of rooms. We booked two rooms for a girls trip with shared bath but never saw anyone else. Very nice and great cafe.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 02:44 AM

The Beehive is on the expensive side for a hostel. For two people, you can usually find a budget hotel for less, with private bath.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 03:41 AM

I put in for Oct and 3 nights, it came up to 105 euro for female dorm room. It is very nice there.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments, I really enjoy hearing other people's experiences as I'm not so trusting of travel web sites. I will definately check this one out. I"m trying to travel on a low budget so the hostel experience is new to me, but think it might be a great way to meet people. Any other suggestions on ways of meeting people in foreign places?
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 07:37 AM

About the Beehive :

Originally Posted by Macross
I put in for Oct and 3 nights, it came up to 105 euro for female dorm room. It is very nice there.
That's high for a dorm room. The Orsa Maggiore has double rooms with shared bath for €70, or a bed in a dorm for €24.

What's more, on booking.com, for a random night in October, there are over 100 highly rated double hotel rooms in central Rome, with private bath, under €100.

Certainly these would be rather basic, but I've stayed in many of these hotels and have always been satisfied. In fact, sometimes I find last-minute deals for 4-star hotels under €100.

​​​​​

Last edited by bvlenci; Jul 30th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 05:24 PM

debishop, Some hostels have great deals for day tours and walking tours so someone might go with you from your hostel or meeting someone on a tour. We have invited more people from tours to eat with us and somehow a lady stuck to us the last trip and went to the pub with us after. We were four with three women and my husband. She was from Australia and travelling alone. I know you wanted to be more social and some hostels are big hen and stag party places. The beehive isn't and has a good vibe. You would feel safe there also. Have fun planning. The other hostel for women sounds very nice also.

Last edited by Macross; Jul 30th, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Just a word on co-ed compared to the women's hostel in Rome. Not much of a sample, I know, but I've stayed in hostels a total of 4 times, twice in San Francisco, once on the California coast and the longest stay a week in Rome. The 2 California locations (twice at the same one in SF) were co-ed and though there were older guests as well, the ages tended toward a younger crowd. Not bad, just a bit more rambunctious and I imagine that's due to both factors, younger men & women socializing. I was on my own and met no one. At Orsa Maggiore in Rome the women were older, some younger women but more balanced age-wise, I felt much more included at breakfast, in the cafe and sitting in the courtyard. And while I didn't make any friends, I did have interactions, the experience was more social and comfortable for me. I suspect my experiences aren't unusual.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:32 PM

Hostels in general are good places to meet people, especially if you stay in the dorm. Of course you have to have the good fortune to find congenial roomates.