Search

Bologna Itinerary Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bologna Itinerary Suggestions

Hello again Fodorites,

So we arrive in Bologna on Thursday, October 3rd and I just heard that Friday the 4th is a holiday in Bologna....Petronius....does anyone know if all things are closed that day...? Sounds like many things will be. If that is the case we might consider a day trip but not high on the list for that day as we will have just arrived mid-day Thursday and was hoping to be more relaxed on Friday. Also, does anyone know if that holiday extends to areas like Modena and Parma?

Also, we are now considering Savigno for lunch on Sunday at Amerigo....any opinions on Savigno or the restaurant? It sounds really great.

And then of course there is the Italian Food Tour which sounds great and goes to Modena on a stop but leaves at 7 AM and that's a bit early for us but we are still considering...I would like to get to Modena and will do on my own if need be....I know there have been many comments about Modena vs. Parma.....but if you would like to chime in on which one you like and why....again...I would love to do both but I don't want to short change our time in Bologna by trying to do too much outside of it.

Thanks as always for all the great comments.

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Shall we assume that you've already been to Ravenna?
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 05:21 PM

If driving to Ravenna, do stop and visit the ceramics museum in Faenza:

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 09:29 PM

I know nothing about what happens on St Petronius day but I was in Bologna when there was a celebration for San Luca and the place was buzzing. Lots of craft and food stalls, drinks and of course, a huge church service and a short parade. It was a great day to be in Bologna, not least because it was entirely unexpected (by me at least).
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. No we have not been to Ravenna....another one I would love to squeeze in but I don't want to take away too much time from Bologna. We won't have a car but i think train is pretty easy?
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 06:50 AM

We took the train to Modena from Bologna to have lunch at Hosteria Giusti, which I highly recommend. I have not been to Parma, but thought that Modena was lovely. The Duomo is amazing, we enjoyed shopping, and the coffee was delicious. We didn't have much time in Bologna either, but am glad we did the trip to Modena.

Last edited by werth; Jul 26th, 2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Another friend recommended Hosteria Giusti so I will definitely look into that.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 08:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We took the train from Bologna to Ravenna for a day trip (cost was about 20 euros roundtrip). Story (with photos) in link below. Astounding mosaics.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...cs-of-ravenna/
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 08:43 AM

I've done the Italian Food Days tour twice -- once in 2012 and once in 2017 and they are two of the best days I've had in Italy. 100% worth the early morning. IMO, it would be a terrible shame to go to Bologna and miss this.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 10:26 AM

If for some reason you don't do the aforementioned tour, there are many opportunities to tour in town. We did a really fun food oriented walking tour with Taste Bologna that was three hours long and started at around 10:00 am.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately Hosteria Giusti is booked that day in Modena. Any other recommendations for lunch or dinner?
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you werth. Appreciate that!
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:15 AM

San Petronio is the patron saint of Bologna, and his feast day is the occasion for all sorts of celebrations. I wouldn't go anywhere else that day. There will be street parties, food stands, concerts, religious processions, and fireworks in the evening. All the churches will be open, restaurants will be open, many ships will be open, and usually museums have free admission.

I don't know what you were hoping to do that day, but the main things that would be closed are banks, schools, and public offices. If you tell us what you would like to do or see on your first full day in Bologna, I'll try to tell you whether it's possible.

Closer to the date, you can get more detailed information about special events. Just post again in this topic around mid-September.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 07:22 AM

If you feel like searching to the Bologna part of our trip, we had a wonderful meal on our last night there:

Turin, Spoleto, Bologna and Bellagio TR

We also took a train trip to Ravenna, and our dinner at Bertino (I think I wrote Bertina) was amazing. https://translate.google.com/transla...t/&prev=search
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mosaics in Ravenna are spectacular.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"The mosaics in Ravenna are spectacular."

Yep.

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow. The mosaics sure look stunning. We will certainly try to get there. We will definitely stay in Bologna on the holiday. It sounds like we got lucky being there. Thank you. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice local spot in Modena for lunch? Giusti is booked. I know Bologna has tons of great restaurants. We lean more toward the cozy on atmosphere but if you have any ones that you thought were special. Thank you and I will read the report for sure.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:10 PM

I've always wanted to see the mosaics in Ravenna. Now that I have seen the mosaics in Sicily, how do they compare? From Tom's pics, they look to be a different style, but so impressive. Leely2, I know you have seen both. Should I plan time in my next trip to visit Ravenna? Bologna is already on the itinerary!
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dayle, I thought I would be underwhelmed with Ravenna after having been to Monreale and the Cappella Palatina. Not at all. In fact, I think Ravenna's mosaics are perhaps a little more stunning.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 05:38 AM

I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -